Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vegetarian alternatives for Thanksgiving in a foriegn country

I expect to have very few people who are in the same situation, but I need ideas. In the past I hated Thanksgiving as so much of the food, is food I do not like. Even before becoming a vegetarian I spent many Thanksgivings very cranky at all those going on about how full they were, and I was just plain starving. I don't care for mashed potatoes, I hate Turkey, I only like my Grandmothers dressing, I only like sweet potatoes without the sweet stuff, that tofurkey thing is not for me, and you can keep your wiggly, jiggly cranberry stuff. Yeah, that doesn't leave much else besides rolls, maybe a green veg and pumpkin pie if I am at most people's houses. Sad huh?

Anyway, I thought it might be sort of fun to try and celebrate a small family Thanksgiving here, but what the heck do I make for a main? I can possibly make dressing, green bean or broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes with butter and sour cream, pumpkin pie, but what else? Any idea vegetarians???? BTW anyone have a dressing recipe that is 100% from scratch since I have no boxes available here? I can switch vegetable stock for meat stock if needed.

Advertisement

Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
squiddles
Registered Users
seller

I'm not veg but I googled vegetarian thanksgiving and a million ideas came up... Here's a list of main course recipes: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/speci...t/maindish.htm
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegetarian alternatives for Thanksgiving in a foriegn country

http://thekindlife.com/?s=Thanksgiving&submit=

Yum!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I have known a few peopke in the past who do Italian food for Thanksgiving. Lasagna, salad, garlic breadsticks with olive oil dipping, etc.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a vegetarian but can't handle meat for the first half of pregnancy so being this will be my 4th pregnancy that crosses Thanksgiving, I make sure a lot of these things make it to the table. Cornbread, Squash, pumpkin soup or some other type of soup, pies, a veggie and dip plate, green bean casserole (my favourite and a very filling rendition is to top with onion ring pieces)

My stuffing recipe which is easy to modify:

1 pound loaf of bread, I do homemade bread, and my family prefers the texture when the bread is stale, so I bake bread the day before, slice it, and leave it out to dry (I put it in the cooled oven so little people and husbands don't eat it) if you don't want to bake bread just use a loaf from the store.

4 or 5 stalks if celery chopped
Large chopped onion
Paprika, salt, and pepper to taste
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
A little water until the texture is to your liking

You could do broth instead of the CoM

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.

Last edited by Squeaky McMurdo; 11-13-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't use a recipe for stuffing/dressing but I can tell you how I do it.
The day before I cut a loaf of bread into cubes (well, I do more like 2 loaves but there are 7 people in my family). Lay it out to dry, that night I put it in a bowl and cover it with a tea towel. T-day I melt a stick of butter in my cast iron skillet and add a big bunch of celery, chopped, and an onion, chopped. Cook until it starts to turn golden then I add thyme, marjoram, sage, and rosemary to taste (no clue, maybe a couple of tsp each?) then salt and pepper. I dump that in the bowl with the bread cubes, stir it and taste for seasoning, add more butter if it needs it then moisten with broth (veggie works fine), you don't want it wet, just starting to stick together a little bit. I like mine on the crunchy side so I spread it on a cookie sheet and bake it until it is dry enough, if you like it moist then put it in a deep dish and cover it.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

I've been a vegetarian for years, in a meat loving family. My mom usually makes a pan of lasagna or stuffed shells. Last year I made butternut squash lasagna with roasted vegetables and a hazelnut sauce. I also usually make a vegetarian French onion casserole, sounds weird but everyone loves it - http://www.instructables.com/id/Chee...-Dis/?ALLSTEPS

In the end, it doesn't matter what you cook - as long as family is together enjoying each other. =) Good luck!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Erinne
Registered Users

We do lentil "meat"loaf or chickpea "chicken" cutlets for the main dish, usually. I prefer lentil loaf, dh likes cutlets, so we take turns.
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maind...lentilloaf.htm
http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/double...ckpea-cutlets/
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
What??! No tofurky?? That stuff is delicious and my favorite part about celebrating with vegans or vegetarians. LOL.

Green bean cassarole
Green salad with pomagrantes, pine nuts, mandarins and light champagne dressing
Kale chips or sauteed kale
Jello with the cool whip and fruit
Fruit salad salsa and cinnamon sugar pita chips or make your own cinnamon sugar tortilla chips in the oven (this is a hit around here)
Mashed potatoes (my favorite part about Thanksgiving aside from turkey)
Broccoli dish
Peanut butter/yogurt dip and apple slices (another hit around here)
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

You're in the UK, right? I find UK Christmas Dinner and Thanksgiving dinner are very similar (with the exception of marshmallows and pumpkin pie). Look up what vegetarians eat at Christmas in England, maybe?