Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegetarian alternatives for Thanksgiving in a foriegn country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
I don't use a recipe for stuffing/dressing but I can tell you how I do it.
The day before I cut a loaf of bread into cubes (well, I do more like 2 loaves but there are 7 people in my family). Lay it out to dry, that night I put it in a bowl and cover it with a tea towel. T-day I melt a stick of butter in my cast iron skillet and add a big bunch of celery, chopped, and an onion, chopped. Cook until it starts to turn golden then I add thyme, marjoram, sage, and rosemary to taste (no clue, maybe a couple of tsp each?) then salt and pepper. I dump that in the bowl with the bread cubes, stir it and taste for seasoning, add more butter if it needs it then moisten with broth (veggie works fine), you don't want it wet, just starting to stick together a little bit. I like mine on the crunchy side so I spread it on a cookie sheet and bake it until it is dry enough, if you like it moist then put it in a deep dish and cover it.
Sounds very much like what I do if I don't have stuffing mix. I might make a pan or two of cornbread, instead of using regular loaves of bread. I sometimes use olive oil instead of butter. Also, since I really love dressing, I usually add chopped almonds or pecans and sliced mushrooms, and maybe some crumbled veggie "sausage", and call it the vegetarian entree.

Advertisement

Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

I too would do chickpea cutlets or lentil loaf, with green beans, a salad and some rolls. We eat something called special k loaf (a Seventh-day Adventist recipe) it sounds gross but it is so good http://www.beabree.com/2006-03/kello...oaf-sda-style/
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some great ideas guys thanks! Normally I do Italian or vegetarian Sushi, but this year I am leaning towards a few classic dishes, that just don't mix with those Right now I am leaning towards pot pie, I make a mean vegetable pot pie, but not sure if it matches up with dressing. I think I would skip most sides if I went that way and just focus on the Pumpkin Pie yummy!!!
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsMama View Post
I too would do chickpea cutlets or lentil loaf, with green beans, a salad and some rolls. We eat something called special k loaf (a Seventh-day Adventist recipe) it sounds gross but it is so good http://www.beabree.com/2006-03/kello...oaf-sda-style/
Very interesting, but I admit it reminds me a bit of my Grandmothers corn lake chicken, that I used to hide in my napkin when I went to visit her But then Grandma on that side of the family has never been a very good cook
Old 11-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
You're in the UK, right? I find UK Christmas Dinner and Thanksgiving dinner are very similar (with the exception of marshmallows and pumpkin pie). Look up what vegetarians eat at Christmas in England, maybe?
Just like for Sunday roast, they do a Nut Loaf for vegetarians, the issue is I don't like it very much. We actually use very few meat substitutes when we cook, so most of them seem odd to me, outside the rare vegetarian hot dog or veggie burger.

That simple Dressing is sounding really good to me though Leah, I think no matter what I chose, I might need to try it one day.

PS- I am individually posting cause I want to get to 5000 posts faster Sorry,
Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I make a dressing nearly identical to Leahs with chunks of portobellos plus pine nuts. It's not our thanksgiving side, but I do it when we have a vegetarian meal. It's hearty and yummy
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never really liked Thanksgiving to be honest, don't like most of the food. I will probably be making mashed purple potatoes (dh loves potatoes so I can't really skip them), roasted Brussels Spouts (I dry roast them with rosemary and then add coconut oil and cinnamon when they are done, it is my favorite), gluten free biscuits and gluten free crustless pumpkin pie. That is really more than enough for the four of us, I've been known to make just roasted Brussels Sprouts for a meal but my kids don't love them. Kearnan has requested cranberry sauce and he really just wants the kind that comes right out of the can so I'll probably grab one for him. I considered roasting sweet potatoes as well but I didn't want to make so much food we couldn't eat it all. I made pumpkin polenta the other day and it was really good, might be a nice option, or a pumpkin risoto.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My thanksgiving always sounds like yours. Cranky, miserable, starving, and not really holiday-ish. Maybe I'll overdose on pie this year to make up for it.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #19
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars View Post
My thanksgiving always sounds like yours. Cranky, miserable, starving, and not really holiday-ish. Maybe I'll overdose on pie this year to make up for it.
The worst year ever, was the year there was rolls, the nastiest dressing and horrible pumpkin pie. I mean that is wrong, bad pie!!!!!! I was about 11 or 12 and cried on the ride home I was so hungry, I had rolls and a bite of nasty pie. It's always worse of course when others look at you like your mental and wonder how you could possibly be hungry as they are all stuffed. The years got better when I could bring sushi and drink wine

Yup, I have no idea why I want to do it this year, but without the pressure of the expectation, I thought it might be fun to have British friends over the Sunday after and do a sorta kind of holiday, with only the parts I like

Ok, I lie honestly I really just want to an excuse to make a whole pumpkin pie. Which is also scary as I have never made a pumpkin pie before either.

Last edited by Fairycat; 11-14-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #20
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...quash-and.html
Ok I think this will be our main dish for Thanksgiving. I told myself I wasn't going to do a big thing for TG but this just looks really good. It has a stuffing recipe that doesn't look disgusting to me as well (plus gluten free which is great).

I will still be doing mashed purple potatoes and pumpkin pie. Mine has to be vegan (Tharen and I are both dairy free) and gluten free (cause I don't want to be absolutely miserable) but I love this recipe. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/201...s-pumpkin-pie/ This is quite frankly the best pumpkin pie I've ever had and super simple to make. She has a really great no bake chocolate pumpkin pie too, but it tastes more like chocolate than pumpkin. I saw a new pumpkin pie recipe on her page but as I have not tried it yet I cannot vouch for how it tastes or turns out.

I think I may try to make some home made gravy for the potatoes. I made one with a vegan "shepherds pie" the other day and while dh and I agreed the whole dish was missing something (I'm thinking I may try it again with TVP or beans instead of tofu as much as I love tofu it tends to suck up flavoring) the gravy was really good and really simple.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote