Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
I am due tomorrow....

...and my house if full of germs!!!!

My 5 year old has had a horrible cough/junky nose for almost a month. We took him to the doctor last week, his lungs are clear, no fever, etc so she said its just a bad virus and they've seen these last 3-4 weeks. He still sounds awful though. My 2 yr old came down with croup 2 nights ago, he has a runny clear nose and spikes fevers off and on, on the same day my 2 yr old got sick I felt a tickly sore throat. Now my nose is congested, my eyes keep tearing up because of the tickle. DH is starting to cough, my 15 yr old came home yesterday with a bad headache and a stomach ache!

I am trying everything to get everyone better - rest, fluids, Elderberry, Zinc, Vit C, Echinacea, washing bedding, cleaning house...what else can I do?!?! TBH I am frickin' tired and really just want to lay in my bed or sit here on DS.

I lost my mucus plug Tuesday and am dilated to 3+cm at last check (Monday) so I don't have a lot of time. Even if the baby stays put till my next appt (Monday) we need to make a plan to get him out by 41 weeks due to AMA. And I really don't want him to stay in too much longer. I am nervous enough as it is since the last baby I went over with was too big to fit and I ended up with c/s. All my VBACs have been induced and under 8lbs. Yet I feel maybe he is better staying IN there for another week!

Advertisement

And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!

Last edited by Silver)O(Moon; 11-15-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh no! I'd get the youngest ones back in and get an oral steroid for the croup (if he is having a really hard time at night- it'll help him. & you sleep better.) the their cold may be given some abx dice it has been going on for so long now- & again, baby is comming soon!
I'd do probiotics for everyone to build up their digestive (& immune) systems. Also vitamin D is vital. I would make some bone broth in a crock pot o you have one. You can leave the bones in the pot, and when you take wage out add some back so that you will have perpetual broth. After a week pitch it.
I' also have lots of clementines do everyone to munch on, and limit (if not he rid of for now) refined sugar since it's proven to weaken immune systems.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am due tomorrow....

Thank you!

Yes, I am ready to do an abx for my 5 yr old. This is ridiculous. A person should not be hacking like that for 4+ weeks and a green nasty nose. This coming from someone who is pretty anti-antibiotic! (He has never been on one if that give you a clue!) Probiotics are a great idea. I have done bone broth before but its been a while. Need DH to bring some good bones home (he's a meat cutter). I can have him pick up some more Vit D. We were supplementing daily for a while but we stopped and I am sure its affecting us. We have had way too much sugar lately and its probably a good idea to cut that out. Clemetines are good idea, my kids love those. I am also thinking of just wiping everything down with diluted bleach water to disinfect the whole house! Run the dishwasher on sanitize setting for a while, etc.

Called the doctor and they closed at noon today so its the after hours clinic or wait till Monday. Sorry to boo-hoo, I am just frustrated! I know we'll manage somehow and baby gets a boost of antibodies before birth and through colostrum, etc so I probably just need to chill. More bloody show today so it makes me feel sooo conflicted, I am thinking, "Yay! Wait, no! Stay in there!"
Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh man. I hope you all get better.

Right before I had my last baby, everyone got the pukes realllllyyyy bad. I prayed so hard for the baby to stay in until my house was sickness free.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you get the flu shot? Maybe passing on the immunity thing will help...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #6
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I don't think any of us have the flu. Its just general cold/virus nastiness. Still, nothing I want to expose a tiny baby to!

Started the Vit D and probiotics and while I don't have any bone broth I am going to make some good old chicken soup with some organic boxed broth I have tomorrow! And smoothies. That would taste yummy and give everyone some needed antioxidants. No school for two days so that should help everyone chill out and rest. I think we will be watching movies all weekend!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Have you had the cold child tested for whooping cough? Mild cases of whooping cough can present as long lasting colds. I was also told antibiotics will not affect whooping cough after so many days.

From the Mayo Clinic web site.
Quote:
However, many people don't develop the characteristic whoop. Sometimes, a persistent hacking cough is the only sign that an adolescent or adult has whooping cough.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/who...CTION=symptoms

My older son had the classic symptoms. He was only about 3 months old though. So that is more common. My daughter was about 4 1/2. All she had was a long lasting cough.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 11-16-2013 at 03:50 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I will bring it up with our doctor, but I am actually almost certain we had whooping cough last year. There was a bit of an outbreak near us. We all coughed for almost 3 months and my then 15 month old did make a bit of a whoop sound. This time it isn't nearly so bad. Its mainly present just if he runs around or cries or something, or at night sometimes. I am concerned it may be cough variant asthma. I have it and so does DS1. I am having him checked out Tuesday with our family doc so I will ask her. Thanks!

ETA: Our good friend recently was diagnosed with pneumonia and she had all the symptoms on that list. Makes me wonder if she had it. She broke blood vessels in her eyes from coughing so hard. I know she had a blood test and a chest xray so hopefully they ruled it out but I think I will ask her!

Last edited by Silver)O(Moon; 11-16-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon
Thank you! Yes, I am ready to do an abx for my 5 yr old. This is ridiculous. A person should not be hacking like that for 4+ weeks and a green nasty nose. This coming from someone who is pretty anti-antibiotic! (He has never been on one if that give you a clue!) Probiotics are a great idea. I have done bone broth before but its been a while. Need DH to bring some good bones home (he's a meat cutter). I can have him pick up some more Vit D. We were supplementing daily for a while but we stopped and I am sure its affecting us. We have had way too much sugar lately and its probably a good idea to cut that out. Clemetines are good idea, my kids love those. I am also thinking of just wiping everything down with diluted bleach water to disinfect the whole house! Run the dishwasher on sanitize setting for a while, etc. Called the doctor and they closed at noon today so its the after hours clinic or wait till Monday. Sorry to boo-hoo, I am just frustrated! I know we'll manage somehow and baby gets a boost of antibodies before birth and through colostrum, etc so I probably just need to chill. More bloody show today so it makes me feel sooo conflicted, I am thinking, "Yay! Wait, no! Stay in there!"
I would recommend using hydrogen peroxide to disinfect everything over the bleach. I think it works better and is safer. You can put it in a spray bottle or buy it in a spray bottle. You can also put it in a humidifier and help purify the air. I've found that spraying it in the air and immediately breathing helps a lot too, especially for a cough.
I hope you all feel better soon! Good luck!

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:
Bleach is a lung irritant so though it may kill the germs, it may make the kids worse. I recommend peppermint essential oil in a diffuser for kiddos getting better and the same diluted in a spray bottle to kill germs all over the house. If you don't own a diffuser you could put it in a glass or stainless steel pot on the stove top probably. No one in my family has had to take prescription med for anything in four years. My son got a throat infection in the summer (2 weeks before my due date). His tonsils were HUGE. I gave him thieves, Lenin, and oregano oils in a capsule and he was fine in 2 days. Viral throat infec tions usually last 7-10 days. (Just one example of how great they are). Viruses and bacteria cant mutate to become resistant to the oils either, like they can with antibiotics. The peppermint disinfects plus it makes the house smell so good! You could add lemon oil too.

I hope your delivery is SMOOTH and easy and that your family feels better soon.

Last edited by snugglesnsunshine; 11-17-2013 at 02:04 PM.
snugglesnsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote