Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Did your labors get shorter?

My first was an induction. I labored for 28 hours (including four pushing) before having a csection.
My second was a VBAC attempt, spontaneous labor. After 16 hours, I was at a 6. Baby went into distress and I had another csection. If he hadn't gone into distress, I'm guessing that labor would have been a smidge shorter than the first.
I'm preparing for a VBA2C, and I'd love for this labor to be shorter, but I'm wondering if its likely at all.

So... If you had a fairly long labor with your first, second, whatever, did your subsequent labors get shorter?

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
They were way shorter than the 1st. This last one was longer than the one before it though.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your labors get shorter?

yes they got shorter. I went in at 5 am and 9:30pm that night had first, second was 5 am go in and about noon hour was born.last was went in at 7 and was out by 9am. so yes got faster but last 2 helped as I had my ob there unlike first when ob went on vacation. Third time ob tried to go on vacation but we beat him as we were due on ob birthday.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
Ellasundies
Registered Users

No mine did not. My first and second labors were pretty similar. With the pushing stage being about 20 mins with my first and 2 pushes with my second. My third was a whole different ball game though. I had about a weeks worth of labor where I was very slowly and consistently dilating but it would putter out before anything significant would happen. Even when I was in labor "for real" my contractions were getting weaker and further apart towards transition, then the pushing stage took an hour. It was very strange for me.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Yes, my 2nd was half as long as the 1st. I would say that almost everyone I know had shorter labors the 2nd time. After that it seems like 3rd and 4ths are shorter than the first but not necessarily shorter than the 2nd.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes shorter--

#1--water broke at 5pm, contractions started and he was born at 8pm (did have pitocin with this one, --contractions that I couldn't feel, baby was 35 weeks, water leaking/broke, 4cm when went in, ect)
#2--20 min start to finish-- had cramps through out the day, 2:45 pulled into the hospital for dr. appointment had an o crap this is a contraction, water broke, he was born at 3:05
#3--induction (after the crazyness of #2 and we live far way and I am home alone with kids). Broke water and started pitocin at 9:30, baby born at 11:30.

Pushing with all three was about 3 to 5 pushes.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes!
#1 - 6 hours, 45 minutes pushing
#2 - 3 hours, 30 minutes pushing? Cant remember
mrscompgeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Well, with my first, I woke up at 2am in active labour and he was born a little over two hours later. With my second, I had Braxton Hicks contractions (or so I thought) that were not painful or in any decent rhythm for several hours, before about 45 minutes of active labour. So I don't really know? Active labour was much shorter but I don't know whether I was having the mild contractions with DS before I woke up.

Either way, DD was in a better position. DS had a nuchal arm and a giant head, and was a pound bigger than DD.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

#1 - water broke spontaneously, 6 hrs of early labor, 12 hrs of active labor, 3 hr morphine break, 2 hrs of active labor, 4 hrs of pitocin labor, couple pushes

#2 - active labor off & on for 6 days before 2 hrs of CRAZY painful active labor, painful pushing then felt like forever (<15 min)

Very different labors, so not sure they can be compared at all. I will have my waters broken this time before pushing as I did NOT enjoy that process!

Hope this third babe gives you a nice, quick labor & the VBA2C that you want!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

My first was 72hrs and my second was 8hrs (from first contraction to birth). But, I believe my first labor was brought on prematurely from a car accident and stress, and he wasn't ready, so that's why I think it took that long.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote