Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Insurance and doulas

Has anyone here personally, successfully gotten their insurance carrier to cover doula expenses? I keep hearing stories of "my brother's wife's cousin's dog's groomer's nephew's wife's friend got her insurance company to pay for it", but I haven't found anyone first person with a success story. I'm starting to think its an urban legend.

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Insurance and doulas

Nope. But, I'm in GA where homebirth is illegal, and any care toward one of those isn't covered by insurance and can get the medical professional in super trouble. So, I'm not surprised doulas are off the list of covered when even more serious things are, too
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
evamyster88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh
Nope. But, I'm in GA where homebirth is illegal, and any care toward one of those isn't covered by insurance and can get the medical professional in super trouble. So, I'm not surprised doulas are off the list of covered when even more serious things are, too
Homebirths are not illegal in Ga. A CNM can attend homebirths legally.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

I haven't but I found this info. http://anthrodoula.blogspot.com/2010...vered.html?m=1

I do insurance billing in the medical field and it looks like normal procedure for self submission of claims.
Katie180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evamyster88 View Post

Homebirths are not illegal in Ga. A CNM can attend homebirths legally.
Tell that to every insurance, OB and midwife I had, then.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
evamyster88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh
Tell that to every insurance, OB and midwife I had, then. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Many people are confused on the legality of HB in Ga. A CPM cannot legally attend a HB but a CNM can. The state of Ga does not offer the license to practice to CPMs. CNM's have to work in collaboration with a OB as back up but it is not illegal for them to attend home births.

http://www.savannahmidwife.net/?page_id=35

http://cfmidwifery.org/states/states.aspx?ST=GA

The second link does need to be updated because there are CNM's that attend home births.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Twinvillageiowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It all depends on insurance. Plans that tend to cover a lot in general are more likely to offer this coverage. So far one of my clients with Blue Cross was going to be able to get it covered but the insurance company wanted my SSN which I was not comfortable handing over to them. We as doulas also suggest to our clients that they try to submit to their insurance agencies to get the companies to recognize that this is a valuable service that may reduce their payout for labor and delivery in the long run. You can also use flex spending accounts to cover the costs.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Jgirod
Registered Users
seller

I signed up for a doula and am paying out of pocket. How do I submit a claim to insurance? I would love to try and have them pay for it, but also to build awareness. Also, do you think Placenta Encapsulation might be covered?
Jgirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have never even thought of asking my insurance to cover doula services! How interesting. Maybe I'll try. I bet they don't even know what a doula is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evamyster88
Many people are confused on the legality of HB in Ga. A CPM cannot legally attend a HB but a CNM can. The state of Ga does not offer the license to practice to CPMs. CNM's have to work in collaboration with a OB as back up but it is not illegal for them to attend home births. http://www.savannahmidwife.net/?page_id=35 http://cfmidwifery.org/states/states.aspx?ST=GA The second link does need to be updated because there are CNM's that attend home births.
This is true in NC too. It's difficult to find CNMs that attend homebirths.

Last edited by justineybean; 12-27-2013 at 11:02 AM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote