Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Recommend some kitchen stuffs?

We're starting all over from scratch and I definitely need some new kitchen stuff. I'm really curious what everyone likes for:

Tea Kettles
Single Cup Coffee Makers
Food Processors
Eco-Friendly Cooking Utensils (no clue if there's a known good brand)

We also have a tiny kitchen so we don't need anything really big. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a teeeeeeny tiny kitchen. I sparkly heart my:
-kitchenaid mini food processor (think they call it a mini chopper). It's big enough for about 1.5-2 cups of something. I use it pretty regularly for dips and hummus and such.
-hamilton beach stay or go single cup coffeemaker (unless you meant like kcups?). It brews directly into one travel mug, two travel mugs, or a carafe. I am the only coffee drinker and generally brew and dash out the door, so not needing to wash a coffeepot all week is very convenient. Small footprint on the countertop, came with two travel mugs but fits my contigo and tervis mugs perfectly.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
I have a teeeeeeny tiny kitchen. I sparkly heart my:
-kitchenaid mini food processor (think they call it a mini chopper). It's big enough for about 1.5-2 cups of something. I use it pretty regularly for dips and hummus and such.
-hamilton beach stay or go single cup coffeemaker (unless you meant like kcups?). It brews directly into one travel mug, two travel mugs, or a carafe. I am the only coffee drinker and generally brew and dash out the door, so not needing to wash a coffeepot all week is very convenient. Small footprint on the countertop, came with two travel mugs but fits my contigo and tervis mugs perfectly.
Those sound great, I'll have to check them out. Hummus is exactly what I'm hoping to make. I'm the only coffee drinker too haha I'm either way with k cups. Doesn't matter to me as long as it fits the reusable ones you can buy.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Recommend some kitchen stuffs?

I have a little Black and Decker food processor, mine is the plus or whatever version, it came with the attachment to slice and julienne which is nice when I want to make zoodles though they aren't perfect (I want a zoodle maker or at least a julienne slicer, I am banned from the mandolin after slicing my thumb tip off), I don't use the slicer. I have had the thing for 6 years and I am not gentle with it at all. I use it almost daily to mince onions (I like them in soup and things but if there is even a chunk I am grossed out) make hummus, make pesto ect. It is still going strong. I did break one that my mother had by trying to grind peppermints in it, don't do that.

I also have the older version of the Ninja which I use for large batches of Hummus, making some sauces, making desserts, and making smoothies. I like it for things that a food processor really isn't intended for (mixing ice cream ingredients for example). I wish I had the new blender model. It is a pain though because it needs hand washed. I also have one of the blend sticks which I love for soups because I can just stick it straight into the pot.

For coffee I have a Mr. Coffee one cup, it makes coffee right into a travel mug. The draw back being that both dh and I drink coffee which means I also had to have the giant ancient Mr. Coffee 12 cup for when we drank coffee together or when people were over. Last night dh found a good deal on a Keurig and bought it for me for Christmas. Hopefully I love it. I already love the space it cleared on my kitchen counter.

I don't know what you mean by tea kettle. I just have a Paul Revere metal tea kettle that you put on the stove and boil water in. We have a glass loose leaf tea kettle for making hot tea (from Ikea) and dh makes Ice Tea in a plastic pitcher (I don't drink it, I think ice tea is gross).

I have an assortment of vintage pyrex bowls, I collect them at thrift stores and garage sales. I also have stainless steel measuring bowls and spoons from similar places.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a ss tea kettle that I bought at TJ Max. It's the kettle you use on the stove top. I have a ninja system that I can use for both blender and food processor. We mainly use our French press for coffee $5 from the thrift store, but we'd do have the Hamilton beach single cup coffee maker. It makes one regular cup or one travel mug size using your regular coffee, it is not a k cup type maker.
ETA for utensils I use ss or glass that pick up at thrift stores or garage sales

Last edited by bfuzzy2; 10-30-2013 at 01:41 PM.
bfuzzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a cast iron tea kettle like this one. It keeps tea hot for wuite a while and you can take the basket out if you are concerned that it will be over steeped. We have used it for about 6 years and the enamel looks great.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B0002AAPTO

We use an espresso maker for coffee. It makes it easy to adjust how strong you want it. I like "chewy" coffee you cant see through well. DH prefers a regular cup of Joe or Americano so he can do that as well. If I had my way, we would buy a slightly nicer one, but we don't need all the bells and whistles. Here is a newer model of what we have.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

We just bought a Ninja blender/food processor and although it doesn't have a cheese blade, I am happy with it otherwise. I like that it is very versatile, easily cleanable, safe and easy for the boys to use. We bought this set.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

As far as utensils we use lots of bamboo although I don't like that it can't go in the dishwasher. We also use some silicone utensils to cook in our anodized pans, but we buy oxo good grips generally. I wouldn't call them "eco-friendly" for the environment, but I am not afraid of the chemicals they put into our bodies.
We don't use plastic in the kitchen and that was my hang up with the ninja blender, but I didn't have any luck finding an amazing blender/food processor that wasn't plastic. We don't do hot food in the blender at all so I guess that helped me be okay with it.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Powcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have opinions on the other things you were looking for but for a tea kettle I LOVE the one I got a few years ago from teavanna. I do have to clean it with vinegar sometimes as we have hard water, but it is both pretty and functional. It doesn't whistle but you get good at listening to it to tell if it is boiling and since you can see into it you know if it is a low or high boil.
http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/...***-tea-kettle
Powcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
ValinSoCal
Registered Users

I use a magic bullet instead of a large food processor. It works great. Good for making your own baby food too.
ValinSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Ark2003
Registered Users

I much prefer coffee from a French press. Compact, cool looking, and they make a great cup (or 2) of coffee. Bodum makes a nice one. Ikea makes an affordable one. You can either grind your own beans (preferable) or use pre-ground coffee. I have an Aroma electric kettle that boils water in no time. It's shiny chrome and looks nice sitting out on the counter...important to me since I don't like a cluttered countertop. .

Amanda: Christ follower, wife to a good looking genius, mom to 5 sweet girls and 1 tough baby boy.
Ark2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We have a slightly less fancy version of this very fancy coffee maker. Our lid doesn't have the hinge.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/produ...FYlFMgodmy4A3w

We use it daily. Sometimes twice daily. I get my coffee even when the electric is out.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 11-23-2013 at 08:19 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote