Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone a Thanksgiving turkey expert???

Lots of great advice on the internet, I'd start there.

A 12-lb turkey should cook in about four hours (cook time is about 20 mins/lb). Start it at a higher temp, once the skin is browned then you can put foil over it and lower the temp. When it's done, let it SIT for at least 30 mins after you remove it from the oven.

I'm roasting a 22-lb turkey this year I let it defrost in our garage starting Sunday afternoon, and I moved it to the fridge this morning. DH likes to brine, so tomorrow we'll brine it and Thursday morning, 7am, it's going into the oven.

Good luck -- and don't forget to make stock w/the carcass!

ETA -- I agree it's gross to reach in and pull out the giblets. I like to use tongs.

Advertisement

Last edited by boysniris; 11-26-2013 at 08:57 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
1sttimemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just butter, salt and pepper the outside and bake in a roasting pan with a little water in the bottom, celery stalks and a small diced onion in the water. It always turns out perfect.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #23
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdmama*3 View Post
It is called alpha-gal. Here is a link to a website explaining about the allergy.
Thanks! Learn something new everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncegrl View Post
What is liquid smoke?
Chemical laden deliciousness. You buy it near the Worcestershire sauce. It's a liquid that makes your meat taste like it was cooked over a fire.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #24
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Tongs. Why didn't that occur to me! Crisis averted. I guess it's one of the ha*ards of omni kids when you are vegetarian. But I'm definitely making stock from the carcass once I pick it clean. We took the carcass home from my parents' house last year and picked it clean and made stock with the bones and scraps and the kids LOVED it so I know this year we'll be even better off with our own turkey. Feeling really blessed and grateful for that.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Minniebees, that recipe looks awesome! I'm gonna see if I can get all those ingredients. I have some rosemary I'd grown this year in our garden and dried already so that's good. Can I brine a still fro*en turkey or does it have to be completely thawed out first?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #26
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It looks like everybody else has covered the big points, but I just wanted to point out one thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere else. Use a thermometer! Check the temperature of the meat. I pull turkeys from the oven when the breast meat (near the bone) reaches 160. The breast meat will dry out quickly if you cook much past that. After you pull it from the oven, give it at least 30 minutes for the juices to redistribute before carving.

Brining- if the meat is mostly thawed, you should be fine to start brining, but best practice is fully thawed.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Oh good call. I have a thermometer I can use. And thank you for the answer to the brining question.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #28
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Alton Brown makes his own liquid smoke if you don't want the bottled kind. I am sure you can google that. I saw it on his show once.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I am dry brining this year, but if your turkey is still frozen, you don't have time (it's a 2 day process). So, thaw in cold water sink. Then wash and pat dry (inside and out).

Put cut onions, garlic cloves, lemons or oranges, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in cavity. On outside of turkey, rub olive oil, salt and pepper on top of skin, stick garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme sprigs under skin. Cook on 425-450. For a 12 lb turkey, it can be done in under 2 hours easily. It does NOT burn. You just need to remove all the racks except the lowest one. When the breast reads 160, take it out, cut off the legs, put them back in the pan, cover with foil and cook another hour. Meanwhile, let the turkey breast rest for an hour before cutting (so while the legs are cooking). This makes the juiciest turkey ever. The high heat crisps the skin and seals in the juices. Resting the meat also makes it not dry out. High heat is the only way I cook whole poultry now. And I was just watching Food Network, Thanksgiving Live and Bobby Flay agreed with me
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I brine it frozen and let it thaw in the brine.