Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help with Wheat Bread?

I've been baking bread for about a year now. Whenever I make wheat bread, it has a raw taste to it. Recipes I've tried all have A LOT of white flour, so it's also kind of doughy. It never comes out like a whole wheat bread (I realize this is likely because of all of the white flour!)

Any fool proof recipe out there to address my issues? I see recipes that call for powdered milk, but I never have any, so never try those. Is that the secret to good bread?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with Wheat Bread?

I don't use any store bought flour in my bread, it's all fresh ground. I use regular old bread recipes, and it always comes out fine. Well, almost always, some days it just doesn't work out. One thing I have noticed is that it needs to knead a LOT longer. I knead it in the kitchen aid for at least 10 mins. When you pull it gently you should see it stretch. Otherwise, knead more.

I'm not sure what you mean by "raw" tasting, though.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try subbing 1/2 cup of your flour with vital wheat gluten.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

The dry milk in your recipes can be skipped or you can use regular milk warmed to replace all or part of the water called for. Milk makes for a softer crust. Water makes for a chewier crust.

Whole wheat bread dough is stickier than white flour bread dough. Do not be tempted to add too much flour or you will have a rock instead of bread. Whole grains take longer to absorb the moisture so it will become less sticky after the first rise.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd add some vital wheat gluten.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I make a 100% whole wheat bread ( here) that I adore! I have made it dozens of times and it comes out perfect every time! The two sort of uncommon ingredients it uses are powdered milk and vital wheat gluten. I get them in the bulk food section at my local grocery store (WinCo).

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I'm making bread today, so I thought I'd post my favorite recipe. I fresh grind my wheat, and I like to use a combo of a hard wheat (I have red right now) and durum. About 4:1.

This is doubled, it makes 4 loaves. 2 we eat, and 2 I slice, make sandwiches for the kids lunches, and freeze. You can just half it.

8-9 c flour
4.5 tsp yeast
1.5 c sugar (can use honey, too. It's quite good that way)
1 c butter cut up
2 c milk (I sometimes add a little cream as well, I have scrawny kids)
1 tsp salt
4 eggs

Mix 8c flour, salt, and yeast in your mixer

in a saucepan (or bowl if you nuke it) combine milk, sugar/honey, and butter until 110-120 degrees. Pour in flour mixture and knead. Add eggs. If needed, add more flour until dough just cleans the sides of bowl. Knead until dough is soft, elastic, and forms threads when pulled. It needs to knead a very long time!

Put oil in a bowl (I like avocado, but use what you like, but some oils like olive will flavor the bread), form dough in to a ball and place in bowl. Flip it over to coat it with oil, and either place it in a warm place to rise, or let it proof in your oven if it has a proof setting. It should double in about 1.5 hours. Punch down and let rest for 10 mins. Cut in to fourths, then roll it out and roll it up in to loaves. Place in your pans and let rise another hour.

Bake at 350 for about 20-30 mins, or until loaves sound hollow.

Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!

Last edited by Minniebees; 12-02-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Minniebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

As far as the gluten goes, I've been told to swap 1 tablespoon of flour for 1 tablespoon of gluten, per cup. So my bread recipe calls for 3 cups flour- I use 3 tbsp. gluten, and 3 cups minus 3 tbsp. wheat flour.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I only add gluten if I am not using bread flour or adding oatmeal/oat bran into it... I make a bread with 1 cup of white whole wheat (from a bulk foods store), 1/4 cup oat bran (fiber!!), 1 cup of quick oats (more fiber!!) and the rest about 2-3 cups of white bread flour.

I do not add any sugar/honey since we dont eat sugar in our house The rest is just yeast, water and oil... I make my own bread 2-3 times a week and during busy weeks I just double the batch one day and freeze it.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. It is super-funny to me that my DH bought vital wheat gluten a few weeks ago, thinking it would help, and I completely ignored his suggestion. Haha!

Michelle - Your bread is gorgeous! I am definitely going to give your recipe a try. Do you use a bread slicer to get your slices so perfect?

Minniebees - Thank you for typing up your recipe. Wow, you make a lot of bread. And, I've heard about people grinding their own flour, but it just seems so labor-intensive. Good for you! I will try your recipe (halved!) too, and I will report back. Might be a week before I get to, though.

Thanks again everyone. I look at so many different food blogs, and the variations can really make my head spin! It helps to talk things through.
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote