Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
1healthylady
Registered Users

Feet hit the back seat RFing

DD is starting to look kind of cramped in her RFing convertible. She has plenty of room in the height of the seat, but she cannot straighten her legs at all. She is 15mos, barely 20lbs, 31ins. Is it time to FF already? I had planned to wait until the summer to turn her around, but now she fusses every time she gets in the seat.

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feet hit the back seat RFing

Feet can hit, and be perfectly safe. She is fine til there is only 1 inch of shell above her head.

There is a saying--Broken leg...cast it. Broken neck..casket. The longer you can stay RF the better.

I'd leave her RFing.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Perfectly normal. Her legs will grow a bit more and you can show her to sit criss cross. It is actually more comfortable than FFing because their legs dangle FFing w/ no support. My 3yo is in the 70% for height and still FF.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Totally fine...DD was 95+% for height & weight & made it to 2.5+ rfing. She found room for her legs--criss-cross, over the sides, straight up on the seatback, etc.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

And the fussing when getting into the seat is totally normal around that age. mine are almost 2 and 3.5 and both still rear facing. Around 1 they both went through this...scream and cry and arch and roll and fight when being buckled! But it's not rfing they hate (since they know no different) but they are fighting being restrained! They want to walk and crawl and play and wiggle....not be buckled in a seat where they can only move their legs and arms.

She will get through it, and you can (and should) continue to rf for as long as possible. She outgrows the seat when she either reaches the weight limit OR the height limit OR has less than an inch of room above her head, depending on the seat, that can be yrs.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Totally fine...DD was 95+% for height & weight & made it to 2.5+ rfing. She found room for her legs--criss-cross, over the sides, straight up on the seatback, etc.
Tharen rode rear facing to 3 (when he hit weight limit) and he was 95%+ for height and weight at 1 (actually he was over the chart for weight, he was a big ol chunk of baby). He was mostly torso but he was big in that seat. He just crossed his legs or threw them over the side. Luckily he slowed down in weight after 9months (the walking and running starting at 8months trimmed him down) or he would have been forward facing much sooner than I would have liked.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Agree with the others. My girls have just crossed their legs or flung them over the side of their seats. My 3 year old turned FF a few months ago and my 2 year old is still RF. My DD1 was just a car seat hater until probably 18 months old and cried in the car. My DD2 has always loved the car seat and never has cried in it. Some kids just fuss in the car no matter what.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
1healthylady
Registered Users

Thank you!!! This makes me feel so much better! I'm really not ready to FF her. Like I said, I plan to FF her win the spring so she can get some air back there. Otherwise she is going to swelter in the hot Florida summer since there is no air flow back there. She's 80% for height and 10% for weight. I looked at the seat as I put her in it this morning and realized I could angle it back a little to give her more leg room, although she'll still be kicking the back seat. Somehow it moved to a more upright position. :-/ I really don't like the seat (or installing it!!), but it was a $25 seat from the insurance company so I can't complain too much. I wish there was somewhere local that I could get it inspected again. SafeKids lost their funding a while back so now we don't have anyone who is certified to inspect car seat installation in the county. I tried showing her to cross her legs but she got mad about it this morning. Oh well. She'll have to figure it out.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1healthylady
Thank you!!! This makes me feel so much better! I'm really not ready to FF her. Like I said, I plan to FF her win the spring so she can get some air back there. Otherwise she is going to swelter in the hot Florida summer since there is no air flow back there. She's 80% for height and 10% for weight. I looked at the seat as I put her in it this morning and realized I could angle it back a little to give her more leg room, although she'll still be kicking the back seat. Somehow it moved to a more upright position. :-/ I really don't like the seat (or installing it!!), but it was a $25 seat from the insurance company so I can't complain too much. I wish there was somewhere local that I could get it inspected again. SafeKids lost their funding a while back so now we don't have anyone who is certified to inspect car seat installation in the county. I tried showing her to cross her legs but she got mad about it this morning. Oh well. She'll have to figure it out.
Just a little tip on keeping rf kids cool.... Crank up the ax and point the vents toward the ceiling, I discovered this and then had to turn it down bc my lo kept getting cold in the 90 weather! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpirof View Post
Just a little tip on keeping rf kids cool.... Crank up the ax and point the vents toward the ceiling, I discovered this and then had to turn it down bc my lo kept getting cold in the 90 weather! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This! Please don't turn her because you are worried about her getting overheated. The AAP's minimum recommendation for FFing is 2 years.