Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I agree with everyone else. I just turned DS ff at the end of October at 4 years 9 months. The longer you can RF the better

ETA: he was just about to max out his seat

Advertisement

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Adventuredad
Registered Users

Re: Feet hit the back seat RFing

The AAP recommendation of RF to age 2 was stone age when it arrived. AAP has once again managed to make recommendation which is hopelessly outdated. Kids should sit rear facing to age 4, not age 2. It's 2013, not 1990.

Parents being worried about kids sitting with bent legs is a very common myth. Kids are both comfortable and safe sitting rear facing until 4-6 years. We know this very well since the Swedes, with the second tallest kids in the world after the Dutch, keep kids RF to age 4 or longer without problems with children's legs.

CarSeat.se Rear Facing Car Seats
Swedish 55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats Saving Lives Since 1965
Annika: 7.5 years Britax Adventure Daniel: 10 years Britax Adventure
Adventuredad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpirof View Post
Just a little tip on keeping rf kids cool.... Crank up the ax and point the vents toward the ceiling, I discovered this and then had to turn it down bc my lo kept getting cold in the 90 weather! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Cool. I'll give that a try when the time comes. Which may be earlier than expected... we have a high of 78 today and 85 tomorrow!!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Ola_
Registered Users

Yup, my DD is still rear facing at 33 months. She likes to scrunch up her legs, cross them, or dangle them off the sides of her seat. On a recent trip we put her seat forward facing on the plane and in a couple of taxis and she kept looking for a spot to prop her feet up (or she would kick the seat in front of her). Most of the time she'd scrunch up her feet beside her on the seat. She didn't like them dangling. If you think about it it's pretty uncomfortable, like sitting on one of those tall bar stools and not being able to rest your feet, just having them hang the whole time.

When we went on a road trip about 4 months ago I gave her a pillow and blanket (it was night time). She used the blanket to cover herself and tucked the pillow under her feet, scrunching them up more. She also often sleeps on her tummy with her legs froggied up under her. I think many kids are just comfortable like this.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I live in southeast Texas. DS is still rear facing at 3.5 years old. Up until this last summer, my vehicle did not have rear air conditioning. Like PP said, pointing the front vents up at the ceiling can make a huge difference. I would also keep his seat covered with a towel when he wasn't in it and I would allow him to have cold water in the car if he needed it. We never had an issue with overheating and we had several days where the high temperature reached over 100 degrees.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
gaakoh
Registered Users

My son rear faced til 3.5. He never once complained about his legs being cramped. However, now that he is forward he complains all the time that he needs something to rest his feet on. He likes it when dad drives because the driver seat is back far enough for him to rest his feet on. I almost want to design some soft tower to put on the floor that would give him someplace to rest his feet.

I of course use the opportunity to mention that he should be glad he rear faced for so long, just so my husband gets the point. =)
gaakoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #17
millersvictory
Registered Users
seller

Some kids just like putting the legs up the back of the seat. I have one kid who crossed or hung them over the side and one who leaves his legs straight up
millersvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #18
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

My son comfortable sat rear facing until a week before his 4th birthday. What seat are you using? If it's an infant seat, she may be more comfortable in something larger.
MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #19
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaAnjuli View Post
My son comfortable sat rear facing until a week before his 4th birthday. What seat are you using? If it's an infant seat, she may be more comfortable in something larger.
She's in a cheapo Cosco convertible seat. It's the one that we got discounted from the insurance company. I really don't care for it, but it was cheap, it's safe, and so it works. Really wish we could splurge on a nicer seat though.