Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Okay, harness or booster???

Current car seat (Britax Frontier original) has a seated harness height of 17.5 inches, which he is at. I was going to order the SecureGuard clip and move him to booster mode, but then I saw that the newest Frontier (the 90) has a seated harness height of 20.5 inches! That would give him 3 more inches in seated harness height before booster mode. Soooooo..... if the $300 price difference wasn't an issue, WWYD?

Stats:

Height: 51.5" (95th percentile)
Weight: 61 pounds (90th percentile)
Current seat: Britax Frontier (original)

If the photo is too small to see the numbers, the TOP of the blue tape is at 20.5" which is the seated harness height of the newer Frontiers.

Advertisement

Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would only consider spending the $ on it if he has some medical/behavioral issue that would make it very hard for him to sit properly in a booster. I think most 7 year olds have the self control to sit properly and keep the belt well positioned. That being said...we have a Frontier 90 and I adore it.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Okay, harness or booster???

Booster for sure. Research tells us that harness is not any safer than seatbelt if child sits properly and the belt fits properly. Harness puts a lot of strain on the neck (head flys forward while body doesn't) while a booster keeps the shoulder and head in line better. For a kid that is 7, I'd get a booster.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-04-2014 at 01:20 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Adventuredad
Registered Users

Above poster is correct. Using a harnessed FF seat for kids at 4+ years is not any safer than a high back booster seat. The Swedes, who are 30 years ahead of US in car seat safety, recommend against placing any children forward facing in a harnessed seat. Only hbb and lbb are used over there and the fatality rate is basically zero each year.

Your 7 years old is likely less safe in a harnessed FF or a high back booster seat compared to using a low back booster. The main reason is the lager size of todays seats which place kids closer to the ceiling and also far further forward than with a lbb. Research done by Jacobsson at Volvo and real life data looked at by Arbogast.

CarSeat.se Rear Facing Car Seats
Swedish 55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats Saving Lives Since 1965
Annika: 7.5 years Britax Adventure Daniel: 10 years Britax Adventure
Adventuredad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuredad
Above poster is correct. Using a harnessed FF seat for kids at 4+ years is not any safer than a high back booster seat. The Swedes, who are 30 years ahead of US in car seat safety, recommend against placing any children forward facing in a harnessed seat. Only hbb and lbb are used over there and the fatality rate is basically zero each year.

Your 7 years old is likely less safe in a harnessed FF or a high back booster seat compared to using a low back booster. The main reason is the lager size of todays seats which place kids closer to the ceiling and also far further forward than with a lbb. Research done by Jacobsson at Volvo and real life data looked at by Arbogast.
I wonder your opinion on this. What about using a harness for an almost 5 year old who is delayed and therefore does not quite grasp the importance of sitting still and not moving out of position?

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuredad View Post

Interesting! I would love to see some comparisons between HBB and FF restraints, as the Swedes don't use FF harnesses, so therefore they have no data on that. In taking each scenario individually, I would never put my kids in a LBB in an outboard position of a bench seat, as is my particular application. What the HBB offers in head restraint and side impact protection far outweighs the small difference in added height or forward spacing.

Read more here.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuredad View Post

I don't know many 4yos who could sit properly 100% of the time, as is necessary for a booster.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefall View Post
I don't know many 4yos who could sit properly 100% of the time, as is necessary for a booster.
Totally agree. Booster seats are only safe if your child can sit in the proper position the entire time they are in the vehicle. My 6.5 year old son can but my 4.5 year old daughter would not be able to. The older one can grasp the seriousness about sitting correctly while the younger one cannot.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The jury is still out on which method is "safer" for an older child, weighing more than 40 lbs, who can consistently and correctly use a booster seat.

To suggest that keeping the child harnessed may be less safe, while technically true because almost anything "may be" possible, is alarmist. We cannot directly compare Swedish safety results to our own kids because we have different cars, different car seats, and different safety features (for example, European forward facing seats do not use top tethers which have been proven to increase the safety of harnessed seats in North America). We can learn a lot from the Swedes in terms of child passenger safety but we must be cautious in assuming all of their methods translate to best practice in America since our safety equipment is quite different.

That said, if it were my 7 year old in this situation I would not fork out the extra $$ for a new Frontier unless the child had special circumstances making it difficult to safely use a booster seat. Just as we don't have any convincing proof that a booster is safer than a harnessed seat at this age and size, we don't have any convincing proof that it's less safe either. You have already reached even the most conservative safety recommendations in the US (NHTSA's) by keeping your child in the 4-7 age range harnessed until he outgrows the height or weight restrictions of his (already quite high capacity) car seat.

If your child were 3 or 4 years old I would have an entirely different answer.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I wonder your opinion on this. What about using a harness for an almost 5 year old who is delayed and therefore does not quite grasp the importance of sitting still and not moving out of position?
If kiddo can't keep seatbelt in position, I'd harness with no hesitation. Boosters only work when used correctly, and if kiddo isn't capable, then booster is out. In this case, the harness would be the safer option.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote