Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Wine while prego

I've always been too afraid to take even a half of a sip of anything alcoholic while pregnant so I've never tried. But a good friend of mine told me she had one glass of wine per month while she was pregnant and has a seemingly normal 18 month old son to show for it.

Anyone on here have wine while pregnant? What kind, how often and how much? Did anyone have an occasional glass and find any negative effects in their child as a result? Alcohol abuse is huge in my family, and I have a very low tolerance. Not preg I would have one or two glasses per night maybe one or two nights per month. I've been crrraaavving red wine so much this pregnancy! I'm 13 weeks along and have been craving it since before I knew I was pg. I haven't had any tho I'm scared!

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had some alcohol during all three of my pregnancies and also have three seemingly normal children to show for it. Of course it was in moderation, like half a glass of wine or beer maybe a couple times per month, and only after 25ish weeks. I wouldn't personally feel comfortable drinking anything at 13 weeks, but that's just me.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
littlegmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wine while prego

I drank a little before I knew I was pregnant, then quit all together after I found out. In the end of the 2nd trimester and in the 3rd trimester, I probably had a half a glass of wine or a few sips of beer with dinner every couple of weeks. My little one is perfectly normal and healthy.

Keep in mind how much alcohol is actually in whatever you're drinking. If you have one normal sized glass of wine with dinner, your blood alcohol content will be around 0.01. You certainly won't feel tipsy and it won't be any worse for the baby than eating at a fast food joint and exposing the baby to all of the salt, trans fat, preservatives, and other chemicals in a typical cheeseburger.

FYI: Pre-pregnancy, I weighed about 125 lbs and used a home breathalyzer test after one drink, two drinks, and three drinks (my typical limit). Every time I tested after one drink, my BAC came up 0.00 or 0.01. A side note: after 3 drinks I was still under the legal limit to drive, but I didn't feel sober enough to drive.

Be conscious of how much you drink; limit it to 1 drink every now and then and don't worry. The issues that result from drinking during pregnancy are from excessive alcohol consumption. Your little one is lucky to have such a caring mother!
littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I drank wine and beer in moderation with both dd's. Didn't drink a drop with the boys. Developmentally they are all the same.

I thought I was beyond 20 weeks with dd2 but turns out to what was a long story I was pretty much drinking since conception ( was supposed to be due late June based off my laat period and bfp but she wasn't born until nov.)
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 01-06-2014 at 08:43 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My OB actually suggested a half glass of wine and a bath when my contractions started getting a bit too close together (this was 32-37 weeks).

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
TNT46131
Registered Users
seller

I'd have a glass of wine here and there while pregnant (after 20 weeks) and now bfing. I craved beer while pregnant. You can buy nonalcoholic beer and wine as well
TNT46131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife View Post
My OB actually suggested a half glass of wine and a bath when my contractions started getting a bit too close together (this was 32-37 weeks).
They suggested that for my mother while pregnant for me.

I never drank while pregnant but I craved the smell of red wine while pregnant for both dds
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I didn't with DD or during this pregnancy. Maybe a sip here and there when DH was trying a new beer or something. I'm not much of a drinker anyway so I haven't had the desire.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
my5sons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had a small amount of wine on occasion during this pregnancy as well as before this. I think it's all about being responsible. Studies will say there is no 'safe' amount of alcohol but I think part of that is because there are people who would focus on the words 'it's safe to drink' and ignore any recommended limit. It probably makes more sense to just recommend avoidance of alcohol across the board.

That being said, I have never had an ob or midwife whose opinion was to that extreme. They have all said an occasional glass of wine is not a big deal. If it personally bothers you or causes you concern, though, it may be better for your piece of mind to avoid it. I know that personally if I was worried about it I would just not do it. It wouldn't be worth it, to me.

Go with whatever you are comfortable with, OP, and congrats on your pregnancy :-)
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
They suggested that for my mother while pregnant for me.

I never drank while pregnant but I craved the smell of red wine while pregnant for both dds
My babies have always not really felt like staying put I would have pretty intense contractions any time I did anything remotely strenuous (i.e. cooking a meal or folding laundry). Wine helped me relax and calm them. I really don't think its a big deal at all in moderation.

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote