Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
s/o Do your kids have birthday parties?

We don't have birthday parties. At least not in the sense that we invite a bunch of kids. I don't like planning it. It's stressful for me for many reasons. My kids also have very few kids who I would invite. We have a couple, but it would be a dinky party. Plus, parties are expensive and we have 6 kids.

Instead, we do something and then have just the grandparents and aunts and uncles over...which is about 10-12 people, including 3 cousins their age. So, we will go to the zoo or a museum or whatever and then meet everyone back at our house for cake and presents. I always make a fun cake for them and we order pizza or something for dinner

Personally, I would prefer to forgo the "party" completely, but neither of our families would take it well.

My kids don't know the difference. We go to very few parties. They enjoy their birthdays and look forward to them. They don't seem to be missing out.

Just curious, are we in the minority? Do you kid birthday parties for your kids' birthdays?

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-13-2014 at 12:48 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o Do your kids have birthday parties?

Our parties sound like your parties. We usually have our closest friends over (10-20 people) and have the kids favorite dinner (pizza/chicken nuggets/whatever) with cake and ice cream and play around. To me that's a party. We did a "big party" 1 year for each kid (think bowling alley with closest friends) and it was like $300 each party- never again (ouch!)
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids have birthday parties but I hate planning them/the expense and I hate that the kids always feel disappointed when their friends can't make it. They don't have a ton of friends (mostly just family and one other family with a lot of kids) so if anyone can't make it it seems like no one is there. I just feel guilty because dh and I both grew up having the big birthday parties at places like Chuck E Cheese. This year Tharen's party was cancelled because of ice (December baby) and I never rescheduled. I still feel sort of bad about it but...he had the party with family, party with dh's family, and I think that was plenty. It isn't like they need more toys or anything.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
Our parties sound like your parties. We usually have our closest friends over (10-20 people) and have the kids favorite dinner (pizza/chicken nuggets/whatever) with cake and ice cream and play around. To me that's a party. We did a "big party" 1 year for each kid (think bowling alley with closest friends) and it was like $300 each party- never again (ouch!)
I consider them parties too, but they are very different from the typical "kid" party, especially since often we don't even have any other kids come except our own. We are fine with it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
My kids have birthday parties but I hate planning them/the expense and I hate that the kids always feel disappointed when their friends can't make it. They don't have a ton of friends (mostly just family and one other family with a lot of kids) so if anyone can't make it it seems like no one is there. I just feel guilty because dh and I both grew up having the big birthday parties at places like Chuck E Cheese. This year Tharen's party was cancelled because of ice (December baby) and I never rescheduled. I still feel sort of bad about it but...he had the party with family, party with dh's family, and I think that was plenty. It isn't like they need more toys or anything.
We have one set of twins who have Dec b-days. They are a week before Christmas and planning a party would be really rough.

Another thing is we have 4 of our 6 kids, plus my husband (who is a week after Christmas), his father, sister, brother (3 days before my twins) and triplet nieces/nephew all in late fall too (my husband is technically in winter ). It's crazy around here at that time of year. It's all too much.

But, sometimes I do feel badly not giving them the big party, especially when I use the excuse of it being to close to Christmas. If that was the only reason, that would totally stink.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We mainly do family parties.

Last year DS1 had his first "friend" party, he was 6, he got to invite 3 friends--his two friends from school and the neighbor he plays with. It was just an evening, we did homemade pizza's, cake, and the boys played games and then everyone went home.

So far DS has only been invited to one party from school and his friends Birthday but that was pretty similar to DS's party.

I will probably never do a big party until they are much older.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do for every kid every birthday. Birthdays are very important to me. We will have a family party and a friend party separately.

DD is turning 7 next week and hers is at the local gymnastics place. She is so excited!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

We don't do parties. We go do whatever the kid wants to do for the day; we've gone to museums, zoo, beach, etc... I make whatever cake/desert they pick and we eat whatever dinner they pick out. This tradition works much better for us.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Birthdays are important here, but that doesn't equate to 'having a party' to me. For us birthday is a family day. The whole day is planned out with special activities, meals, etc. We usually make a weekend of celebrating actually but it is just the 4 of us.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The little ones do. Its mostly lunch and cake with friends, very casual
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
Phin'sMom
Registered Users
seller

Just family and not every time, ds2 hasn't had a party yet. I am planning a picnic at the local skate park if it's warm enough in April, he'll be three.
13 kids and 12 adults is a plenty big party for me, ds1and 3 have b'days 5 days apart there will be mostly joint parties in thier future.

Last edited by Phin'sMom; 01-13-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Phin'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote