Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: s/o Do your kids have birthday parties?

I was all set to answer"of course" but I am not really sure what the correct answer is.

Caiti had her birthday on 12/29. Then on 1/4, we rented a limo and she and 5 of her friends rode the limo downtown, ate dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, then went to the theater and saw a movie. We paid for the whole thing for everyone. It was probably the most expensive party she has ever had but she had a great time and honestly, she didn't get many parties. Plus it was her 18th, so kind of a big deal. She has never had a whole lot of friends and when combined with the fact that her b-day is so close to Christmas and over Christmas break, there were times that we attempted parties that very few kids showed up for.

However, we have always done big family parties, with aunts and uncles and cousins. I am the oldest of 4, I have 4 kids, my brother and one sister each have 3 kids, and my other sister hasn't even started having kids yet. All of which means, just having a family party is still a big party.

Having said all that, I am not quite sure what to do about the birthdays for the younger 3. Family parties have worked out fine so far, but Rae Rae will be in Kindergarten next year, which of course add a whole new dimension to everything. They are both in preschool now, but Dani started after her b-day and Rae Rae started JUST before her Bday so that kinda snuck in under the radar. The younger ones have their b-days around the same time of year, all in the fall so I have time to figure it out.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #22
JayDee38
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
We do for every kid every birthday. Birthdays are very important to me. We will have a family party and a friend party separately.

DD is turning 7 next week and hers is at the local gymnastics place. She is so excited!
I feel the same way. Birthdays are such a blast when you are a little kid I wouldn't want my kids to miss out. We do a smaller family party on their actual birthday and a party with friends during the closest weekend.
JayDee38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes we just do something fun for us only like go to the zoo or go for a hike. Sometimes we have a low key party.

This year we are doing a joint part for dd1 turning 6 and dd2 turning 1. Their birthdays are 3 weeks apart. It's all grandparents and a couple of aunts/uncles coming. Plus 2 family friends that have younger kids who we've known for years. It's just a BBQ at my house. I think there might be 4 other kids there besides ours.

For ds we plan in just going to the zoo. Just the 5 5 of us.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #24
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our kids get a small party every five years. The other years we just celebrate ourselves--as in, not grandparents or anything, just our immediate family. You are right OP, that the family doesn't take that well, but they get over it. We do it this way for several reasons, one of which is because my husband's family celebrates everyone's birthday (kids and adults), which is roughly two birthdays per month. It's pretty much mandatory, and you must bring a gift, drive wherever they want to go, and pay for your own families meal eaten out. Not only do we not want to do that, we can't afford to. So we opted out, which wasn't well received. At all. But it's okay now. Another reason is we don't want or need to receive gifts each year, but if people come over they bring them no matter what you have requested. We also like keeping things small and family centered, and we don't want the kids to expect a big ta-do each year, and of course an added benefit is it saves a lot. Because of our own personal view of birthdays we rarely attend birthday parties for others. I say do whatever works for your family and don't worry about what others do for theirs.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #25
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

No. We've never known enough people to have one and we haven't lived near family since our kids were born. Plus we don't have enough money to throw a party.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #26
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We do kid birthday parties.

Family birthday parties aren't possible since we're military and have no family nearby.

If we lived near family, I'd prolly do family parties.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #27
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789
Birthdays are important here, but that doesn't equate to 'having a party' to me. For us birthday is a family day. The whole day is planned out with special activities, meals, etc. We usually make a weekend of celebrating actually but it is just the 4 of us.
Ditto. I love birthdays and feel they are a great way to make the day all about the kid. It depends on what day of the week it falls but on their bday I make the pancakes in their number with a candle and we sing. Lunch is their homemade choice typically and a candle and sing and dinner their choice at home followed by dessert with candle and singing followed by opening up their gift from us and/or their siblings. We celebrate on wknds with their event/experience and dinner out. They get maybe 1 gift from us and sometimes 1 from siblings, nothing major or extravagant.

We used to do parties with family. 4 sets of grandparents, 3 sets of great grandparents, dh has 4 brothers, I have 3 siblings plus my 2 nieces and a nephew. So 22 people plus our family of 5 for a "simple party". :/
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #28
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I am curious why people don't attend birthday parties. Is it a financial issue with the gift? If not, what is the reasoning?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #29
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We don't do parties so much as we do playdates with cake, ice cream, and presents. I really don't do planning, we don't do games, etc. We have 3-5 friends over (there have been a couple exceptions to this) and they play. We actually didn't do parties last year, and I don't know for sure we are doing any this year. I think I will probably let the turning 7 yr old have one, but probably not the others.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #30
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We start friend parties in kindergarten. Small and simple, nothing crazy.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote