Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
taylor's mom
Registered Users

starting school late aka "redshirting"...

anyone know much about this? I would like to keep ds1 home one more year and have him start kindergarten a year "late". He'll be 5 in june, but I don't feel he's ready for school yet. DD1 had to wait the extra year because she's a November baby (same for ds2 when the time comes) and she seemed to benefit from the extra year at home. fwiw, we loosely do a preschool curriculum at home, so it's not like they aren't doing anything. I called the school yesterday and they told me that he would have to do 1st grade "on time" regardless. Another friend, who's dh is a teacher, is running into the same thing but said that it isn't actually a law and that it is up to the parent. Not that it matters much, but it would also put ds1 and ds2 2 years apart in school instead of 1 yr which would be hard on them. where do I start with this?
I'm not opposed to putting my foot down with the school if it more about their preference than the actual law, but I want to have my ducks in a row so it goes somewhat smoothly.

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: starting school late aka "redshirting"...

Last I heard you can hold him until 6. I just wouldn't tell them.

We are loosely discussing home schooling our youngest but should we ultimately decide on public school we plan on waiting until he is 6 to start him.

Our oldest daughter waited that one year. Well actually 2 years and started first grade skipping kindy altogether. School has come easily for her. She is in all the advanced classes. She enjoys school, even looks forward to going back.

Our older son started kindy at 5. He has struggled from the start, only now at 10 getting decent grades without spending all his home time doing school work and studying. Last year he failed math entirely. That is very demoralizing to a child. He flat out hates school. He would rather go to the dentist and get a tooth pulled. This was evidenced yesterday. He skipped into the dentists office and came out grinning after his tooth was pulled. He is antsy to go back to get another tooth pulled. He drags his feet going back to school.

A first grade teacher I once worked with at Mcdonalds(summer work, his wife was the GM) said he could tell the difference between his students who started at 5 and those who started at 6. The regular starters were more immature and struggled more. The late starters were more mature, self confident, and struggled less.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 01-24-2014 at 11:02 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I don't have a whole lot to add, as I haven't started any of my kids late- but I do have experience with some of the things you're concerned about. One is that I started both of my boys in K when they were newly 5. Their birthdays are 6/23 and 8/24. Yes we homeschool, but I still found K very manageable for them. The other is that having 1 grade between isn't something to dread. My sister and I are 15 months, and 1 grade, apart. The ONLY time it caused an issue was that I was mad she went to my senior prom (her boyfriend was my grade), but really, it wasn't a problem. Good luck in your decision.

ETA- even though my boys were young 5's, they have done great academically. They're at or above their grade level in all subjects.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mama_to_DJM; 01-24-2014 at 11:05 AM.
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We're doing it for DS. He is little (35 pounds) and can't even write is first name well yet. He can't begin to do his last name. He has had 2 years of developmental preschool but needs another year. He turns 5 in April but was a 34 week preemie with ADHD and ODD adopted from foster care. He just needs another year to grow up.

I got special ed to even pay for the extra year. They support the decision to wait.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-24-2014 at 04:21 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

What month is your school cut off? Here it is Dec 31 so I've never heard of a June baby waiting a year, but if your cut off is August or something that seems not unrealistic.

You could hold him back, do stuff at home, and then decide if you want him to start in K or Gr 1.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have a feb and may birthdays. My oldest (Feb birthday) started when he was 5. He did great and was way ahead and still is. I can't imagine holding him back another year.

My 2nd will be five in may and go to K in the fall. He is right on track. No way will I hold him back another year. He is more than ready.

DD is a Spetember birthday and will start when she is 5 but will turn 6 right away. She misses the cut off by a few days.

IMO, it totally depends on the kid. A june/july birthday I wouldn't automatically hold them back a year I would see how the kid is maturity level. August/September I would wait.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Here kids go to kindergarten the year they turn 5. I think even if you don't send them to kindergarten, you would start them in grade 1 the next year. Although, sometimes kids are told to repeat kindergarten.

DS is a November baby, so he'll be starting in September at age 4. I don't know if he'll be quite ready by then, but I'm not going to hold him back.

I am a December baby, and in Ontario where I went to school they had junior kindergarten - so starting the year you turn four. Which means that I was three when I started school.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Here kids go to kindergarten the year they turn 5. I think even if you don't send them to kindergarten, you would start them in grade 1 the next year. Although, sometimes kids are told to repeat kindergarten.
You're in the Lower Mainland, right? A fair number of people hold back Nov/Dec boys and then have them start Kindergarten the following year. I've never heard of anyone doing it with girls though.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here, the cut-off is September 30th. DS5 has an August birthday, and DD3 has a September birthday. Neither will be going the first year they're eligible. A kid in DS's preschool class has a May birthday, and still didn't go this year.

Several teachers have told me they'd rather not have any newly 5s (summer/fall birthdays) start kindergarten. They've become more adamant about that since the fairly recent switch to all day kindergarten.

Personally, I prefer the idea of sticking with play based learning for as long as possible, and I know they'll be spending hours behind a desk far too soon.

Plus, if we lived one state over (where both our parents live, and we could easily see moving), neither would make the July cutoff.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here, the kids take an assessment to get into kindy. It is at the round up in February.

Kids must--write first and last name, know all phonics with upper and lower case letters, count to 20, identify shapes, cut some shapes out, be able to potty completely by self (obviously not for special needs kids), and have 20 sight words. If your kid can't do that in Feb at the assessments, they suggest you wait a year and will often refer for sped evaluations/developmental preschool to get kid caught up.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote