Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
taylor's mom
Registered Users

Re: starting school late aka "redshirting"...

Our age cut off here is Sept, so he'll have just turned 5. I don't feel that he's ready maturity-wise. As for academics, we've done a little but if he has to go we'll be spending our whole summer getting him ready. There isn't a public preschool option around here if you aren't low income, and there isn't much for private options except for daycare type ones.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
mpink22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son just started kindy this year. He tirned 6 at the end of July, our district cutoff is Sept 1. I struggled a lot with the decision and decided that he was just not mature enough to go to first grade. He has been very happy in kindy and his teacher told me she thinks that was the right choice.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Both my ex and dh start at age 7. Both did really well in school. I would probably do a later start as well if we did public school
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was 5 when I started. I endure up having to repeat 2nd grade. I would have been better off starting school later and not being held back imo.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Here, the kids take an assessment to get into kindy. It is at the round up in February.

Kids must--write first and last name, know all phonics with upper and lower case letters, count to 20, identify shapes, cut some shapes out, be able to potty completely by self (obviously not for special needs kids), and have 20 sight words. If your kid can't do that in Feb at the assessments, they suggest you wait a year and will often refer for sped evaluations/developmental preschool to get kid caught up.
Wow! I'm surprised by that for some reason. Our kindergarten doesn't have any requirements to start, but the school my kids go to does move pretty fast so they are reading by the end of kindergarten. I feel like kindergarten is too academic these days though.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup. Preschool is the old kindy. Kindy now does what we all did in 1st grade years ago.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #17
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Here, the kids take an assessment to get into kindy. It is at the round up in February.

Kids must--write first and last name, know all phonics with upper and lower case letters, count to 20, identify shapes, cut some shapes out, be able to potty completely by self (obviously not for special needs kids), and have 20 sight words. If your kid can't do that in Feb at the assessments, they suggest you wait a year and will often refer for sped evaluations/developmental preschool to get kid caught up.
My 4yr old will start in Sept (June bday, Dec cut off) and she has figured out a lot of the letters of her first name but "prefers not to do them in that order". She's quite adamant about it. LOL!

Fortunately, reading is a 1st grade skill here.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dd started at 4. School started at the beginning of aug. She turned 5 in sept. The cutoff for kinder was nov 1. She did great. She was the top of her class in reading (still is) and was top 3 in the grade level in math.

Age alone does not determine achievement. Yes, younger kids can struggle, but they can also excel, or be average. Look at the kid. If they are behind, look for markers that the lack of achievement is due to maturity and not to other factors. Otherwise, "redshirting" can actually hurt the child, by preventing him/her from qualifying for the help s/he needs.

As a teacher and a parent, I default to sending kids on time for the cutoff in their area. If there is pressing evidence that they are not ready AND that evidence shows that the reason they are not ready is due to age and NOT other factors, then I'd consider redshirting a child within 1-2 months of the cutoff, but no further out than that. However, I also won't make that decision until 1-2 weeks before school starts to give the kid the max time to mature.

My son, with a mid-July bday, who will turn 5 this summer will be going to kinder this fall. The cutoff this year will be Sept 1.

(CA has changed their cutoff over the last 3 yrs from Dec 2, which it had been for years, to Nov 1 for DD's Kinder year, 2012-13, Oct 1 for 2013-14, and it will be Sept 1 for 2014-15 where it will remain unless they change the law again).

on my phone, please forgive my autocorrect

Last edited by lanwenyi; 02-02-2014 at 02:08 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

They are pushing back the start time for school here, my son will go when he is five and will turn six in December of his kindergarten year. All the educators I talk to said that is the best way to go because he will be one of the older kids in his grade level and they tend to do much better than the younger ones. A few extra months makes a big difference in development and maturity.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

My youngest turned 5 at the end of May and started in August, so barely 5. Definite difference than mine that turned 6 in Sept and Nov. Every kid is different though.
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote