Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #21
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: starting school late aka "redshirting"...

I'd start it, worse case you can pull him out and retry next year right? Does it work like that?

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #22
mkekaty
Registered Users
seller

We have a sep 1 cutoff. My dd who is an August birthday, will most likely 'wait' a year bc I don't want her to be the youngest in the class. We go to a catholic school, so she can stay back, but they won't let you skip ahead. It seems like a lot if people are keeping their summer babies back.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #23
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Here, the kids take an assessment to get into kindy. It is at the round up in February. Kids must--write first and last name, know all phonics with upper and lower case letters, count to 20, identify shapes, cut some shapes out, be able to potty completely by self (obviously not for special needs kids), and have 20 sight words. If your kid can't do that in Feb at the assessments, they suggest you wait a year and will often refer for sped evaluations/developmental preschool to get kid caught up.
If this were the case for my district I would never have kids in the class! I have children every year who don't even know their birth name let one write it!
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #24
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi
. Otherwise, "redshirting" can actually hurt the child, by preventing him/her from qualifying for the help s/he needs. As a teacher and a parent, I default to sending kids on time for the cutoff in their area. If there is pressing evidence that they are not ready AND that evidence shows that the reason they are not ready is due to age and NOT other factors, then I'd consider redshirting a child within 1-2 months of the cutoff, but no further out than that. However, I also won't make that decision until 1-2 weeks before school starts to give the kid the max time to mature.
I think every district/state is different. We had a family move in 3 kids ages 7,6, and 5. The 7 and 6 year old were in K (late birthdays) because even though she was 7 she is required to have K. Little one was prek age.
Also red shirting won't necessarily make them not qualify for services, actually it could make them more eligible as many tests have age limits to test for educational services, but all areas are different. We had a family move in from CA we gave them a ton of services that they were not eligible for in CA.
Finally, I never get red shirting although it would greatly benefit some! We are fighting false birth certificates trying to get kids in early! Right now a 3 to in PreK age to enter is 4! We are viewed as free daycare!
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #25
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Here, the kids take an assessment to get into kindy. It is at the round up in February.

Kids must--write first and last name, know all phonics with upper and lower case letters, count to 20, identify shapes, cut some shapes out, be able to potty completely by self (obviously not for special needs kids), and have 20 sight words. If your kid can't do that in Feb at the assessments, they suggest you wait a year and will often refer for sped evaluations/developmental preschool to get kid caught up.
Wait, so you all start testing BEFORE kindergarten? And I thought our FCAT was bad...
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #26
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy View Post
I think every district/state is different. We had a family move in 3 kids ages 7,6, and 5. The 7 and 6 year old were in K (late birthdays) because even though she was 7 she is required to have K. Little one was prek age.
Also red shirting won't necessarily make them not qualify for services, actually it could make them more eligible as many tests have age limits to test for educational services, but all areas are different. We had a family move in from CA we gave them a ton of services that they were not eligible for in CA.
Finally, I never get red shirting although it would greatly benefit some! We are fighting false birth certificates trying to get kids in early! Right now a 3 to in PreK age to enter is 4! We are viewed as free daycare!
I know that how much it can hurt the child will vary by state, but qualifying for spec. ed services is dependent on the age and grade of the child, so when a child is held out of kinder for a year, but the issue is NOT their age, but actually an underlying learning issue the fact that they are in a grade lower than they should be usually makes it harder to qualify them for spec. ed services. It doesn't make it impossible, it just makes it harder and often makes it take longer. I only have experience with 2 different states, but it is true with the vastly different spec. ed services in those two states (with CA providing far less in the way of spec. ed services).

That is why I emphasize making sure that the issue is AGE only and nothing else. If there is a possibility of any other cause for the child to be behind, then I'd rather send on time and potentially repeat the grade, but have the child evaluated for learning issues first.

I taught a brother/sister pair. Their birthdays were 11 months apart. He turned 5 in Dec, so he had just missed the cutoff for the previous year. She started Kinder at 4 and would not turn 5 until mid-Nov (barely making the cutoff for that year). They were a study in contrasts. He struggled the whole year and he was the OLDEST in my class. She was about average despite being the YOUNGEST. By the end of the year, she was reading at Kinder level. He was still struggling to read pattern books ("I see the ______"). He has since been admitted to RSP (special ed). She is still in general ed and has stayed average. She'll never be a super-high achiever, but she's not low-achieving either. Both of them came in knowing no letters, no sounds, and not recognizing their names in print.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #27
abbysparkles
Registered Users
seller

We are currently considering this for my son. Our K cutoff is Aug 1 and his birthday is May 5. His older sister (17 mos apart) is currently in K and I'm amazed at how intense it is and what they expect from the kiddos. It's all day and they are doing some serious work! No crafts are being made, no play is being had... she comes home tired and hungry and just wanting to play. I totally agree that preschool is the new K and K is the new 1st grade. I think my son is academically ready (although at times he'll answer "I don't know" when he, in fact, does know) but I worry about his ability to sustain the rigors of the classroom and the length of the school day without a meltdown. We don't do preschool although EVERYONE around me does. We've always done library storytime, extracurricular groups through the rec center and informal play dates. I do as much preschool stuff with him as I can as I also have a 16 month old. I'm considering preschool for next year if we do wait as I think the exposure the classroom structure/teacher would be helpful. Hubs is against it. I keep hearing people say no one ever regrets waiting a year but you hear people who wish they had. Hubby reminds me of this when I question our decision saying even if he would do "fine" this year, he'd do "great" next. Good luck!
abbysparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #28
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

My dd is 3 and her bday falls on th cutoff. So she will most likely be 4.5 when she starts k. It is something I am struggling with.

My oldest dd is in hs now but was 5 years 3 months when she started k ...I just feel that 4.5 years is so young.
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #29
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We just changed our cutoff from sept something to July. So any August kiddos couldn't start kindy that year. The only time any kids have had issues with starting kindy later is if they are in public preschool. They age out of public preschool. But I could fave kept my son home a year and know plenty of moms that did.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #30
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

My oldest has a June birthday and we had her start Kindergarten at 6. Academically, she was stellar, but she had some maturity/behavioral issues that we decided needed more time. It turned out to be a great decision.

When she went to school, she shot to the top of the class right away, which built her confidence in herself and made her LOVE school and learning. I never had to fight with her about going to school. She tested into the gifted program in 3rd grade and has been a straight-A student on almost all of her report cards. She's in 7th grade now, is in all advanced classes and has brought home straight A's all year.

Our school district has limits on how young a child can be to enter kindergarten, they must be 5 by Sept 30, no exceptions. But, they don't have any restrictions on how old a child can be.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote