Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me decide

DS is turning 5 soon. We are booster training in my car off and on in a Graco Turbo Affix HBB that I got on Black Friday for cheap. This will move to grandma's car later this spring when the snow/ice is gone. He has a good belt fit in it and sits well.

For his birthday, he is getting a second booster for my (the main) van. His current seat in there is a Maestro. He has about an inch to grow in it, but he complains that his bottom hurts if we are in the car more than 15 minutes. I also have a Frontier, but the seatbelt install is not great in my van due to belt geometry, he's about maxed out latch for it, and since he sits nicely in the booster, I just don't want to mess with it. He has a TERRIBLE belt fit in the Frontier, so that is completely off the table as an option as a booster. It is way too wide for him right now.

Debating between a Monteray, Parkway SGL, or just another Turbo Affix HBB. He is little (38 pounds, about 40 inches), so part of me says that it isn't worth spending the money on an expensive booster when a Turbo probably will get him til at least 7 or 8 in HBB.

Do you think the Britax/Diono are worth the extra money for a kid on the smaller side? What would you buy? Part of me thinks I'd like SGL, but not sure if it is annoying to older kids. Part of me says it is stupid to spend more if I have a good belt fit with a Turbo.

Sell me on what you would buy.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-26-2014 at 12:19 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My 5 yr old is 44ish inches and 41 lbs. in my van, she has a kiddy cruiser fix pro. We have a turbo with safety surround in dh's car and a Monterey in my moms car. The Monterey is okay. I don't love it. I much prefer the turbo or the kiddy. The kiddy is my favorite for her.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me decide

My dd rides full-time in a TB because I got it cheap last year. I had been planning to replace it with a Recaro Probooster once they came out with the LATCHable ones, but I never got around to doing that. Right now we really just have seats for the kids in one vehicle, so she doesn't really need a backup seat...

All that to say, I always intended to get an "expensive" booster but haven't gotten around to it.

One thing about the Parkway, it has a 40# minimum weight limit.

If I had time and stores closeby, I'd want to go and try a few "nice" boosters and see how I liked the. Cybex is apparently revamping the X-Fix and it's supposed to be out this spring. And I guess Diono has a new one, the Cambria. So there are lots of LATCHable boosters that I'd like to get my hands on at some point!

Sorry if this isn't much help, I guess I'm sort of in the same boat. And my ds will be transitioning to a booster within the next year most likely, so there's another decision coming up.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just put 7 yr old dd in a Graco Affix. I got it for only $50 on bf too. I really like how easy it is for her to buckle herself in it. She was harnessed in a Nauti until maybe September. She is very slim now I think she weighs around 43-45 lb. When I realized that she was over 41lbs (latch limit of 65 lbs in my van) I took out the harness out of the Nauti and she used it in latchable booster mode but the seat is rather high on the sides and it was not very easy for her to do the buckle by herself.
Things I do not about the Affix are: when I have the top adjusted for her height it seems to stick out fairly high over the main part of the seat and she is not very tall. I do not see how this seat could possibly last til 100 lbs. I like it okay for short daily rides but I will put her back in Nauti for road trips since the Affix is not a seat that would be good to nap in. I will have to look around and she what I can find for her in a beefier HBB if she gets much taller soon.

Dd just turned 7 and she weighs 46 lbs and is 48 in tall

Last edited by babycat42; 01-26-2014 at 07:08 PM.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It def won't last as a HBB to 100 pounds. My neighbor's little girl is 7, and has maxed it out on height. I had to take the top off when she rode with me the other day. She is maybe 50ish pounds.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote