Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
jemanly02
Registered Users

RF or FF?

We are traveling next month and taking Spirit Airway (who charge obscene amounts for baggage). We will be in a rental car for 3 days (Kia Rio). Our son has a Radian RXT which he will be in on the plane, he's 38 lbs and will be 25 months at the time of travel. To rear face the Radian, we would need the RF boot and also the angle adjuster for such a small car, if it would even fit to begin with (we need 4 people in the car). Would you feel comfortable FF a kid in this situation?

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: RF or FF?

No way would I FF at just barely 2, honestly. I'd take the foot and AA in my suitcase and FF on the plane, but RF in the car.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
jemanly02
Registered Users

That's the way I'm leaning, but what if it doesn't fit in the rental?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you rent something bigger? We sucked it up and rented a minivan on our last trip solely to make sure the carseats would all fit. I did it on Priceline and got a great deal.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
jemanly02
Registered Users

Honestly, we can't. This trip stems from our foster care days in another state, and our old county cannot help with our travel expenses (since we've moved out of state due to military and no longer providers for the county). So, money is super tight for the trip. I'd LOVE to rent something bigger, but we just can't right now. This whole thing is kind of a mess, but will be worth it soon. I need to measure our luggage and see what the max allowable is.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Do you have another carseat you could bring?

Definitely shop around for rental cars (though I assume you already are...). Usually upgrading to a larger sedan is a very tiny price increase.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

Can't you use The seat on the plane?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would bring the angle adjustor and rear boot on the plane and stow it if you need to so it doesn't take up room in your luggage. It's part of the car seat anyway.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Spi...es/baggage.php

wow those fees are crazy, they do allow a diaper bag free of charge. Bring the largest size bag you can fit and don't feel bad if people stare- I once used the largest size duffel ever invented but when you opened it, all baby stuff! You could get a huge duffel that would fit in the overhead and carry ALOT of stuff.

Also BTW our angle adjuster for our radian is a piece of 1 inch high density foam. You might be able to find that cheap where you are traveling- or get it now and bring it with you.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree to RF and look for a deal on a larger car. This site usually has very good codes available for all rental agencies: http://rentalcodes.com/

I also find that United tends to have extremely good coupons available in their "partner" section, even if you don't rent through their site. Another option is to use hotwire (though not always cheaper and can't be cancelled if you find another rate).

Honestly at this point when we travel we get a small station wagon compact SUV. It makes installation while at the airport with a cranky husband and toddler so much faster and less stressful ;-)

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Ola_
Registered Users

I wonder if there's any way you could try it out before your trip in a similar car... Okay, this is sneaky but how about getting a test drive at a local Kia dealership and ask them if you can try the carseat to make sure it will fit? Or see if the rental place has a location nearby and do the same thing with testing the seat out.

Also, when we do car rentals they are normally not super specific about the actual car (so it may say something like "Kia Rio or similar"). It may be a good idea to call the specific location and see what car you're actually likely to get. Express your concern about your car seat not fitting and also ask what the upgrade fee would be once you are there (sometimes it's less actually). If they should run out of the car you have reserved they will upgrade you for free and frankly, we have been upgraded just cause the agent was feeling nice and we were travelling with DD and a car seat).

The Radian allows bracing on the front seats, right? You may also be able to work something out by having it in the center and moving both seats forward, which may not be the most comfortable for the driver - do you have more than one person who can drive? That could be useful. Have you done both a LATCH and seat belt install with it? Definitely good to practice ahead of time in case you haven't.

And to answer your question whether I'd be comfortable FFing at that age, I would say no.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote