Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: RF or FF?

No I wouldn't ff a newly 2 year old for any reason.

Do you have anyone around that you super trust (I do have a couple of friends that are as car seat intense as I am) that you could trade with for a few days? Honestly I think I'd rather stab myself in the foot than travel with a radian - I don't like carrying that thing up the stairs let alone anything else. I'd rather use something lighter and easier.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly, I'd probably look for a way to sell some stuff to get the money to upgrade the rental. Even if you can get the seat RFing in the Rio, that sounds like a miserable car ride for everybody.

But I'll be the lone dissenter--I would consider FFing. It would depend on weather, amount of time in the car, etc., but I'd consider it. But then DD1 is large & I flipped her full-time at just over 2.5 when she maxed her seat...and she's defiitely still harnessed, but I let her take two short trips in SIL's car riding in a booster @ almost 4 (w/ plenty of coaching & DP in the car to supervise). I take car seat safety seriously, but in order for safety measures to be used by most people, they have to be practical, affordable, & reasonably easy.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
jemanly02
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
I wonder if there's any way you could try it out before your trip in a similar car... Okay, this is sneaky but how about getting a test drive at a local Kia dealership and ask them if you can try the carseat to make sure it will fit? Or see if the rental place has a location nearby and do the same thing with testing the seat out.

Also, when we do car rentals they are normally not super specific about the actual car (so it may say something like "Kia Rio or similar"). It may be a good idea to call the specific location and see what car you're actually likely to get. Express your concern about your car seat not fitting and also ask what the upgrade fee would be once you are there (sometimes it's less actually). If they should run out of the car you have reserved they will upgrade you for free and frankly, we have been upgraded just cause the agent was feeling nice and we were travelling with DD and a car seat).

The Radian allows bracing on the front seats, right? You may also be able to work something out by having it in the center and moving both seats forward, which may not be the most comfortable for the driver - do you have more than one person who can drive? That could be useful. Have you done both a LATCH and seat belt install with it? Definitely good to practice ahead of time in case you haven't.

And to answer your question whether I'd be comfortable FFing at that age, I would say no.
Awesome, I'm going to call them today and see if they can tell me the exact car. Yes, both my husband and I are going, so two drivers. And yes, I know how to do both installs with the Radian, so at least we'll be prepared with that.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #14
jemanly02
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
No I wouldn't ff a newly 2 year old for any reason.

Do you have anyone around that you super trust (I do have a couple of friends that are as car seat intense as I am) that you could trade with for a few days? Honestly I think I'd rather stab myself in the foot than travel with a radian - I don't like carrying that thing up the stairs let alone anything else. I'd rather use something lighter and easier.
Unfortunately, we can't switch with anyone since he is so big. With clothes on at the Dr yesterday he was 40.5 lbs, no one I know has a RF seat that goes to that limit.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
jemanly02
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Honestly, I'd probably look for a way to sell some stuff to get the money to upgrade the rental. Even if you can get the seat RFing in the Rio, that sounds like a miserable car ride for everybody.

But I'll be the lone dissenter--I would consider FFing. It would depend on weather, amount of time in the car, etc., but I'd consider it. But then DD1 is large & I flipped her full-time at just over 2.5 when she maxed her seat...and she's defiitely still harnessed, but I let her take two short trips in SIL's car riding in a booster @ almost 4 (w/ plenty of coaching & DP in the car to supervise). I take car seat safety seriously, but in order for safety measures to be used by most people, they have to be practical, affordable, & reasonably easy.
We will by flying there, so time in the rental car won't be very long. We only considered FF because he would have already outgrown the limits on his old seat (Headwise70) and would be FF now, anyway. We both felt guilty even thinking about turning him around for the trip and I figured I'd ask here and get a WWYD type opinions.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most airlines will allow carseats to be checked for free. While I wouldn't use that for a carseat, you might be able to use that for the AA and any other carseat paraphernalia you have.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemanly02 View Post
Awesome, I'm going to call them today and see if they can tell me the exact car. Yes, both my husband and I are going, so two drivers. And yes, I know how to do both installs with the Radian, so at least we'll be prepared with that.
Most car rentals charge an extra fee if you have an additional driver. If you're going to pay that, you'd probably be better off just paying for a bigger car.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #18
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Most car rentals charge an extra fee if you have an additional driver. If you're going to pay that, you'd probably be better off just paying for a bigger car.
Not necessarily if it's a married couple on the same auto insurance policy

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
Ola_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post

This is true. I was thinking of only putting one driver on the rental but just choosing the shorter person.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

We have taken the angle adjuster and rf boot on planes before (unused on the plane) along with the rest of our carry ons with no issue. It was a pain to haul everything around but that's it.

We've crammed the radian in small rentals. It was just me and DH so if the front seat had to be all the way forward, I just sat in the back with DD. Uncomfortable but no big deal when we weren't spending much time in the car. If that weren't an option, though, I wouldn't have had an issue FF a 25 month old for 3 days
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote