Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Janadi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone not use an infant carrier travel system?

Still TTC, but trying to plan ahead. I intend to be a babywearing mama and I'm wondering if lugging the carrier around is really necessary. Anyone have an infant safe car seat that doesn't lift out? What are your Pros and Cons? Is it inconvenient for other family members/helpers?

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I dont. I have convertible seats and babywear
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone not use an infant carrier travel system?

I don't either, we also use a convertible car seat that doesn't lift out. We use either a stroller, Baby Bjorn or Moby. My daughter is six months old, and we have never had a problem. In my opinion it's easier just to carry her, especially in restaurants and in stores.
Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We had a bucket seat with the first two and found ourselves using it less and less. This time around, I'm still undecided. About the only thing I liked it for with DS2 was going crowded places like my grandfather's house. I could carry his seat in if he was sleeping and slip him into a closed room to continue sleeping for a bit. Its a feature we could totally have lived without, but was nice while it lasted.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

We never carried the infant seat, per se, because that would have been WAY too heavy. But we did really love using it with the matching car seat carrier frame (Chicco Keyfit 30 and Keyfit Caddy). DS was a terrible napper but always fell asleep in the car -- and transferred to a stroller/carrier poorly until a year. Honestly I would have died without the Keyfit and Caddy. We have a real stroller that we used for walking in the neighborhood or long outings, but especially for going into the drugstore or Target it was so nice not to unbuckle, wake up, rebuckle, then potentially wake up again upon returning home. As a bonus, the Caddy only weighs ~10lbs so it was perfect during my too-long c-section recovery. DS happily rode in his Keyfit until 14mo and we'll now get another 12-14mo out of it for #2. In my opinion, it was $160 well spent (plus car seats make popular shower/registry gifts).

If you do choose a convertible from birth, double check that it actually fits small babies well based on the lowest harness height. The manufacturer's listed weight minimum doesn't necessarily mean it fits WELL. Some great options are Combi Coccoro, Chicco Nextfit, Maxi Cosi Pria w/ TinyFit and the newer Britax seats.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

We only have a convertible car seat (the kind that doesn't lift out) and no stroller. Not a problem at all. I just keep a baby carrier in the car and carry or wear DS when we are out. Easy peasy :-)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't even know anybody who has one. I saw one lady in Victoria's secret with one the other day, and she had her big awkward husband standing next to it, together, they took up the whole store.

I live in Phx though, so, in the summer, I think it could be useful for keeping the carseat from getting too hot while you go to the mall.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I don't even know anybody who has one. I saw one lady in Victoria's secret with one the other day, and she had her big awkward husband standing next to it, together, they took up the whole store.

I live in Phx though, so, in the summer, I think it could be useful for keeping the carseat from getting too hot while you go to the mall.
I know a number of people in PHX who have them ;-) But here in LA (or anywhere I know new parents in real life) I don't think I've ever met anyone who goes straight to a convertible.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't use one until this last baby. It was uses for a very short time before I got rid of it. Too big and bulky.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Janadi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Interesting. I have never known anyone who did not use the carrier and I just can't understand why so many people use them. They're so bulky and awkward. Good to know!