Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
3 across in a CRV or RAV 4

My mom is a full time nanny for 3 kids (5,3,1) and her van is breaking down. She is looking at a rav 4 or crv, mainly because the cost of owning a van is too high for her and besides the job she is the only one in it (my sister and I are in our 20s)

She has to supply the car seats if they are going to be in there full time, so she needs cheap, safe options and I am trying to figure if it is possible to get them in there.

The 5yo is in a HBB already, the 3yo in a harnessed convertible and the 1yo in a FF convertible as well. I don't like it, but that's how the mother does it and that how my mom is doing it.

If you can give me options of doing it 3 across I can pretty much convince my mom of doing the 5yo in a harness

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 3 across in a CRV or RAV 4

I haven't tried it personally, but the SureRide is a popular choice, affordable and fairly narrow. You could buy from Amazon w/ free returns and see if it's doable. Because of the shape, two of these might fit next to each other nicely with one RF and one FF. Radians are also super-narrow, but also pricey.

I wouldn't worry about the 5yo in a HBB personally, provided the belt fit is good, the child is mature enough to stay in position the whole time and the seat is narrow enough to fit the space. Both the 3yo and 1yo can probably RF in the SureRide. The 1yo absolutely should be and your mom needs to install a RF seat for the baby. I'm not sure why a parent or caregiver would even debate this, especially given the AAP's minimum recommendation of 2yo and the NHTSA's goal of 4yo before FF. Perhaps if you further educate your mom, the mother of the children will ask questions and learn. (Another option for the 5yo is the SecureKid 400, which can be used as a harness now and a booster later.)

I drive (and love) a 2007 CR-V. In case you haven't installed seats in it before, it's actually a really easy car. There are five LATCH anchors in the back, so LATCH can be used in two positions simultaneously (either outboard-outboard or driver outboard-center, IIRC). Even though it looks strange, it is permitted and safe to use the center ceiling seatbelt to install seats. Since the HBB booster child needs a little more room to access the buckle stalks, you might consdider putting that child behind the driver. Then the passenger side seat you could use the seatbelt (shifting the seat a touch more toward the door, which you can't do with LATCH). The remaining seat would LATCH nicely in the middle. FYI there are top tethers for all three seats in the CR-V :-)

Hope this helps!

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Don't have much time, but 3 across is impossible in the RAV-4, starting (I think) with model year 2006 or sometime around then.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Don't have much time, but 3 across is impossible in the RAV-4, starting (I think) with model year 2006 or sometime around then.

My mom was looking at the 2010 and I could have sworn it said it had a small 3rd row
Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
I haven't tried it personally, but the SureRide is a popular choice, affordable and fairly narrow. You could buy from Amazon w/ free returns and see if it's doable. Because of the shape, two of these might fit next to each other nicely with one RF and one FF. Radians are also super-narrow, but also pricey.

I wouldn't worry about the 5yo in a HBB personally, provided the belt fit is good, the child is mature enough to stay in position the whole time and the seat is narrow enough to fit the space. Both the 3yo and 1yo can probably RF in the SureRide. The 1yo absolutely should be and your mom needs to install a RF seat for the baby. I'm not sure why a parent or caregiver would even debate this, especially given the AAP's minimum recommendation of 2yo and the NHTSA's goal of 4yo before FF. Perhaps if you further educate your mom, the mother of the children will ask questions and learn. (Another option for the 5yo is the SecureKid 400, which can be used as a harness now and a booster later.)

I drive (and love) a 2007 CR-V. In case you haven't installed seats in it before, it's actually a really easy car. There are five LATCH anchors in the back, so LATCH can be used in two positions simultaneously (either outboard-outboard or driver outboard-center, IIRC). Even though it looks strange, it is permitted and safe to use the center ceiling seatbelt to install seats. Since the HBB booster child needs a little more room to access the buckle stalks, you might consdider putting that child behind the driver. Then the passenger side seat you could use the seatbelt (shifting the seat a touch more toward the door, which you can't do with LATCH). The remaining seat would LATCH nicely in the middle. FYI there are top tethers for all three seats in the CR-V :-)

Hope this helps!
My MIL used to have one and I loved how easy it was putting in a car seat in hers, but it was always one, not 3 lol
My mom is 55, and not that educated in the most up to date on car seats. She is nannying for the dad, which is why I figured if I told her it wouldn't fit FF she'd do it the way I told her. The mom was a crazy lady who didn't know anything and would make my mom write down when the younger two had any diaper changes for a year.
The dad is awesome and laid back, which is who she is nannying for now. I'm sure if I told her she would tell him and it would be fixed.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsywebb View Post
My mom was looking at the 2010 and I could have sworn it said it had a small 3rd row
Not because of its size, but because the seat belts overlap making it literally impossible to put 3 seats in.

If you scroll down in this thread, you can see a picture. Look carefully and you see the center belt crosses the driver's side.
http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/posts/list/151847.page

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

Not because of its size, but because the seat belts overlap making it literally impossible to put 3 seats in.

If you scroll down in this thread, you can see a picture. Look carefully and you see the center belt crosses the driver's side.
http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/posts/list/151847.page
Thanks! That's crazy placing! I saved the link to show my mom and texted her saying that she should go with a CRV
Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

I can't put 3 across in my crv (2011) I have apic of two seats in it and it shows how little room is left in the middle, it's suchhhh a tiny backseat I hate it. Have her try out any combos before buying

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by bpirof; 01-29-2014 at 08:38 PM.
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpirof View Post
I can't put 3 across in my crv (2011) I have apic of two seats in it and it shows how little room is left in the middle, it's suchhhh a tiny backseat I hate it. Have her try out any combos before buying

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Which seats are those and are the installed with latch or seatbelt? I know that in the "successful 3-across thread" on car-seat.org there are some current generation cr-vs.

OP, c-s.o probably the best place to ask these questions.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc
Which seats are those and are the installed with latch or seatbelt? I know that in the "successful 3-across thread" on car-seat.org there are some current generation cr-vs. OP, c-s.o probably the best place to ask these questions.
I was just going to ask the same questions. If I took a picture of the back seat of my 2002 Nissan Xterra a while ago, it would have looked like that. But I had a Graco Nautilus and a Britax Boulevard both installed with LATCH. However, last spring, my nephew stayed a few months with us. With different seats and using belt installs, three seats worked out just fine. As my dad would say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat."
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote