Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
When do you buy a baby gift?

My niece is four months along. They aren't on the young side, and honestly, I thought they'd never have kids.....so, i'm a little bit excited!

Maybe too excited.

They are super weird. They like the most crazy things. But, happily Etsy HAS all of their geeky weirdness for sale! Even Geeky weird baby stuff! So, YAY.

Anyway, there's a blanket I want to buy. But, I don't want to buy it and give it to them only to have something bad happen. Is four months too soon?

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Corgi
Registered Users

Re: When do you buy a baby gift?

IMO, once it's public knowledge, that couple is convinced they ARE indeed having a baby, and are planning for it, and I see nothing wrong with planning right along with them.
ETA: I've experienced pregnancy loss, it didn't change this opinion. It was actually a bit upsetting when I was pregnant with DS how hesitant friends/ family seemed to be excited with us until the second trimester.
Chase, born Oct 2013 at 29weeks, HOME where he belongs after 59 long days in NICU.
expecting
someone new Nov/Dec 2015.

Last edited by Corgi; 02-14-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

At that point, unless they know she is high risk, I would go ahead and get it. Besides, should something happen, they would probably like having a gift as a sort of remembrance. I know I would.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
At that point, unless they know she is high risk, I would go ahead and get it. Besides, should something happen, they would probably like having a gift as a sort of remembrance. I know I would.
I agree with this, and I am high risk. We are announcing at 12 weeks because it's when we can comfortably say that barring anything crazy, we ARE planning for a baby once we hit 12 weeks. Those that knew prior to this were told in a "please say prayers for us" sort of way. I think once it's announced, gifts are acceptable, and if I lost a baby that far along, I would love a baby momento.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

After 12 weeks you're typically safe unless there are known high risk issues.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

As soon as my SIL found out she was pregnant (maybe 4 weeks I think) I started buying stuff. Mostly yarn though so I could have a wide variety of colorways to choose from. I would go ahead and buy it.
ETA: You can always buy it now and save it for the babyshower if you want.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi View Post
IMO, once it's public knowledge, that couple is convinced they ARE indeed having a baby, and are planning for it, and I see nothing wrong with planning right along with them.
ETA: I've experienced pregnancy loss, it didn't change this opinion. It was actually a bit upsetting when I was pregnant with DS how hesitant friends/ family seemed to be excited with us until the second trimester.
I second this. I have had refusal to be excited until third trimester and it hurt!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd buy it too! 4 months is pretty far along, IMO.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

I lost a baby last summer at 17 weeks ago and it was kinda of painful looking at just the little bit of baby stuff we had accumulated. Special items I loved hurt worse.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

If I were you I may start buying now, but not give it until later (baby shower, etc...). I think everyone is different, so you will just use your own judgement. For me, I think I would have a hard time if I had something unique that was tied in to my geeky loves if I lost the baby. (let's say a Tardis blanket nor something). Every time it saw the Tardis I would probably get emotional. BUT, i do think 4 months is probably in the safe zone for lost unless there are known risks.

I kind of went back and forth here. Probably lot wry helpful. Haha

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote