Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

Newborn Photography - Worth the $$?

You know the pics I'm talking about - tiny newborns in adorable hats posed in totally unnatural poses just for the "Awhhh" factor. Did you have them taken? Will you in the future? Do you feel they were worth the investment?

From my research locally, it looks like we should expect to spend about $400 on newborn photography, if we do it. I have a nice DSLR that I could take my own photos with - but the pro photos are so tempting. Thoughts??

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn Photography - Worth the $$?

Well, I took my then 3 month old daughter to one of the mall places and spent maybe $20 and that was worth it. I still have a little grouping of tiny pics in magnet frames on my fridge. Maybe I'll take a pic and show you what I mean.

I'm going to guess that if someone had those kinds of newborn photos in wooly hats in nests and baskets and stork hankies and the money was behind them, they'd say it was worth it. But my take on it is that the most precious picture I have of my newborn girl (and boy) is the one I took of them sleeping on my husband's chest. Just breathing and resting together. Even with the breast pump on the table in the background, if you kwim.

I like the 3 month "professional" pic because she was focusing and looking cute, not wrinkled and helpless. Idk, this seems like such a personal decision.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a big fan of "unnatural" poses for photos... I much prefer more candid and casual. We had a friend take some pictures in our home and I like them. They remind me of what my baby was like in those early days. Just the way she was, naturally. I would save the $400 for more diapers!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I don't do the unnatural poses either. I don't put funny hats on them or anything like that. And, I definitely don't spend $400. That is nuts, IMHO.

I go to Portrait Innovations which has a free sitting fee. I pick out a couple of poses and come away with less than $100 worth of pictures, probably less if I only had one kid (we have 6 and often take some with all of them. Plus, 2x's I've had twins. Though once, I only got one photo of both babies together because the others came out badly.) If I only wanted one pose of the new baby, it would be $20 for a TON of photos because they are always running a special for $20 for like 100 photos of one pose.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't like the "photoshopped" pictures of unnatural poses.

I am so glad my mom is a photographer. There is no way I would pay to have the monthly pictures that we do.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's worth it, but more like $200 than $400. And make really sure you've seen their work and like the type of shots they set up. The photographer we had from the hospital for DD1 did some stupid poses that weren't right for us at all, and I regret not shopping around and having someone good lined up in advance.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Good photography is worth paying good money for. I believe $400 is too much, and I am not so into unnatural posing.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

I completely agree that $400 is a big chunk of change for photos. Unfortunately, it seems to be the going rate in my area and there isn't much competition. If it were $200 or less - I wouldn't hesitate.

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a photographer at a lower rate that will still result in good quality photos? We went with an inexpensive photog for our wedding, and I ended up really regretting it.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's not my style, but really none of the trendy professional photography is my style. I don't do maternity pictures or anything like that, it's just all so cheesy and unnatural to me. Everyone is different though.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracheld View Post
It's not my style, but really none of the trendy professional photography is my style. I don't do maternity pictures or anything like that, it's just all so cheesy and unnatural to me. Everyone is different though.
This is me as well.

At the end of the day, do what you like/want

But I'll say [since you asked], it is not worth it to me.

I don't "get" all the new stuff. The seasonal set up poses with all the junk in it. I have friends that pay $100-200 each season/holiday for those. I just don't understand BUT it's not me or my style.

When I do our Christmas cards even, they are mainly candid shots throughout the year, though I do try to do one of the boys/family each year at Christmas, but just through the cheap Walmart studios The rest are by me.

I'm don't care for all the faux-tography stuff these days. Sorry, don't throw tomatoes.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote