Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
Tiffanylamp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn Photography - Worth the $$?

I did do newborn photos and am truly glad I did.

However, I was very upfront with what I wanted. Yes, we have newborn pics (no hats, just N in her diaper or birthday suit curled up sleeping) but what I REALLY wanted was pictures of all three of us (me, hubby and N). Those were the pictures I love. I have one of me and N up close and it precious and one of my favorite photos.

Like you I have a very nice camera and typically I took all the photos. I am decent at pictures and took some really beautiful ones of N over the last 2 years. But, when you are always behind the camera, you aren't ever in the picture. So, I still have professional pics done every 4-6 months (will be less now she is 2) just so I actually have pictures of the two of us I also wanted to add that I don't pay $400 a session! I go to a photo studio that has free sittings and then you purchase a package (I believe the least expensive is around $150). It is very professional and the pictures all turn out well. Maybe you could find something like that in your area?

But, like pp said, pictures are very personal. If you love the style of hats, then go for it. Ultimately, these pictures are really for your future self.

Advertisement

Happily getting my Groupon on
Tiffanylamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #22
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki
If you have your own DSLR I'd highly recommend shooting on your own That $400 can buy you a decent lighting! Most of these newborn photos with seamless background is really a baby resting on a expensive bean bag with a big blanket that's covering the area on a background stand. Like this shot I did for a client last time it was with Alienbees B800 shot through 48" octabox but I know even a small flash reflected from an umbrella would've gave me a very similar result. I have some newborn photos on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/reflectingpixels
Come take my baby's pictures please!

I've always wanted to do the professional photographer thing but I haven't had the opportunity yet. DD and DS1 had their NB photos done in a chain photography place. They're...ok. I did it myself for DS2 and I really love them. My camera isn't the fanciest either. I'd like to have DS3's pictures taken by a photographer but if I end up doing it again I'd be ok with that too.

It's really a personal choice like PP have said

I found these on my phone.

Attachment 163168

Attachment 163169

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by mamaberkhie; 09-25-2014 at 01:59 PM.
mamaberkhie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki
If you have your own DSLR I'd highly recommend shooting on your own That $400 can buy you a decent lighting! Most of these newborn photos with seamless background is really a baby resting on a expensive bean bag with a big blanket that's covering the area on a background stand. Like this shot I did for a client last time it was with Alienbees B800 shot through 48" octabox but I know even a small flash reflected from an umbrella would've gave me a very similar result. I have some newborn photos on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/reflectingpixels
Wow, I love your photos! I doubt I'll end up with anything that great, but I do have the hubby convinced that he should make me a portable mini studio so I can at least move the backdrop to natural lighting. If only I had a couple newborns to practice on before mine gets here!

I really appreciate all the input. I'm considering booking her for the $100 session fee, and then by the time it comes to ordering photos I'll have a better idea what my own pics will be like. If I love my own, I'll just buy prints of one or two favorites from her. If I'm not happy with the ones I take, I can order more from her. At least I'm only out $1-200, and I won't be kicking myself for not booking a photog.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can say that having a DSLR does not mean you'll get professional looking portraits. I bought one and tried. They don't look bad but I'm nowhere near skilled enough to stage the perfect shot and edit to perfection. I spent months looking for a newborn photographer that would give me rights to the images so I could keep digital forever. My budget was $300 I found almost no one who would give me digital images and those that did seemed to charge close to $300 just for the CD and rights alone not including the session fee. I finally found someone who was much better at taking pictures than me but still wasn't the caliber I yearned for. I was disappointed that we'll never have another chance for his newborn pictures but am so glad we do have some. I started saving for his 1 year pictures ( I figured 1 year is a big year and we probably won't do professional portraits again for a long time). I booked the photographer I wanted and was 110% satisfied with how they came out. Was it expensive? YES but I wanted them and saved up the money.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #25
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber10512 View Post

Wow, I love your photos! I doubt I'll end up with anything that great, but I do have the hubby convinced that he should make me a portable mini studio so I can at least move the backdrop to natural lighting. If only I had a couple newborns to practice on before mine gets here!

I really appreciate all the input. I'm considering booking her for the $100 session fee, and then by the time it comes to ordering photos I'll have a better idea what my own pics will be like. If I love my own, I'll just buy prints of one or two favorites from her. If I'm not happy with the ones I take, I can order more from her. At least I'm only out $1-200, and I won't be kicking myself for not booking a photog.
Here we paid 100 for our session fee and we also received a disc with the copyright release. We have several photographers in our area that offer this option.
anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #26
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Newborn Photography - Worth the $$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3LittleBerkhs View Post
Come take my baby's pictures please!
If you're ever come up here I'd love to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber10512 View Post
Fast prime or zoom lens with one large source of light really is all you need. It's fun! Definitely try it out. Even just sticking a flash on your DSLR and bouncing the light towards a white ceiling makes a world of difference.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #27
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I suck at taking pictures. Seriously. I tried taking DS2's pictures. I took photography, I know the basics. The execution just totally isn't there. I don't have the eye. Here's the best shot I got of DS2.
Attachment 163182

Then I came across a friend of a friend starting a photography business and looking for NB models. She got these.
Attachment 163183
Attachment 163184
Attachment 163185

If I had the money to spend, I'd absolutely pay a photographer, but that's because I suck. If I was good at it, I'd probably do it myself.

Last edited by Mama*Kim; 03-16-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #28
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Though I wouldn't spend that much on NB pics, I totally would for a really good birth photographer. Those first moments always end up being such a blur, I would pay a TON if I would've thought of it with my last 2. Just all those first moments captured in a truly beautiful way. Imho, THOSE are the memories worth saving.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #29
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We did Portrait Innovations at 7 days old. Spent $150. Totally worth it to me.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #30
chamise
Registered Users
seller

Professional Photography investments are only worth it if you see the value in them and is a a personal decision.If you do then $400 for a session fee and prints would probably be worth it for you.

No one can tell you if it's worth it aside from you.
chamise is offline   Reply With Quote