Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: You just had your first baby. You have all of the answers. Enjoy it while it la

I have only found one hard and fast rule, that I have learned, that I apply always, and occasionally give as advice, "which is follow what works for your family and let the books be damned". sure books can be as helpful as advice, in that it can be amazing or stupid depending on what your family needs. Otherwise, I rarely give advice, because I know I do things that would never work for other families and that is fine, but don't look down your nose at me for doing them. ** that is the royal you, not you guys

Saying that, people at all stages in the parenting (and funnier childless people) game sure have a ton of advice, wow! Too bad, so much of it is so bad or so poorly given.

Advertisement

Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #22
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: You just had your first baby. You have all of the answers. Enjoy it while it la

There is a young lady (early 20's) at our church who does not even have kids!!! She thinks her two year degree in childhood education trumps my littles one :headbang:
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #23
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can I add a complaint that is sort of related (if in a limited way)? I have hyperemesis with this pregnancy. You know, where you puke every 20 minutes around the clock until your kid is born and you have to be on special meds and you loose wait instead of gain it? If one more person asks me if ive tried soda crackers or ginger ale, I'm gonna play Slap-a-Hoe. Seriously.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #24
Corgi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
Can I add a complaint that is sort of related (if in a limited way)? I have hyperemesis with this pregnancy. You know, where you puke every 20 minutes around the clock until your kid is born and you have to be on special meds and you loose wait instead of gain it? If one more person asks me if ive tried soda crackers or ginger ale, I'm gonna play Slap-a-Hoe. Seriously.
YES!!! I had this with DS and I swear if one more person told me to sip ginger ale I was going to flip. My son came super early (29 weeker) but I had lost nearly 30lbs by then... And I didn't really need to lose anything to begin with.
I was one ginger ale/ cracker/ tums suggestion away from punching someone in the face. "No, I've just spent 5 months puking my brains out and never thought to try the most basic common things. I actually LIKE vomiting 7471846 times a day, thanks!"
Chase, born Oct 2013 at 29weeks, HOME where he belongs after 59 long days in NICU.
expecting
someone new Nov/Dec 2015.
Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #25
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My favorite 'suggestions' come from parents of grown kids who have royally messed up. Like drugs and such. I was told by the father of one of those I needed to beat(with a belt) my kids to make them behave better. That was what he did with his kids. Yup going to follow that suggestion because I really, really want kids just like yours.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #26
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi
YES!!! I had this with DS and I swear if one more person told me to sip ginger ale I was going to flip. My son came super early (29 weeker) but I had lost nearly 30lbs by then... And I didn't really need to lose anything to begin with. I was one ginger ale/ cracker/ tums suggestion away from punching someone in the face. "No, I've just spent 5 months puking my brains out and never thought to try the most basic common things. I actually LIKE vomiting 7471846 times a day, thanks!"
Hope & Corgi, you two seem a little grumpy........maybe a little ginger ale would help? Lol
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #27
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

Yeah ok, I admit it. I thought I had this parenting thing down until I had my second child. I do think that most people are trying to be helpful when they offer advice though.

Also the questions on twins, as a woman whose twins died shortly after they were born I always feel a pull towards multiples when I see them in public. Sometimes I strike up a conversation with the Mom just to learn more about what my life might have been like if my children had survived.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #28
taylor's mom
Registered Users

Uggh! We've been dealing with this from SIL (who is right this very second AS WE SPEAK being induced with baby #1) for years. She knows everything, we know nothing, and HER child will certainly NEVER act like XYZ! She goes as far as screaming at our children and trying to discipline them while we aren't even allowed to scold her stupid dog when it steals the kids food or growls at them. And if we dare tell her to leave our kids alone all hell breaks loose. DH and I are secretly hoping her kid acts like the spawn of satan himself!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #29
Lmama
Registered Users
seller

FTM here. Let me keep my delusions!

Just kidding, but on a somewhat related note, I have been thinking all day that the person who understands parenting a "non-sleeper" the very least is the parent of a "sleeper." I think a childless person is more help. "Have you tried patting him on the back?" Hmph.

Last edited by Lmama; 02-11-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Lmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #30
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More
Sounds like a related complaint to me!!!

Personally my favorite with dealing with this the second time around is "I feel so bad for you, I puked every morning for the first trimester then felt great! Maybe you will too??" Nope, sorry. An hour after my son was born I distinctly remember thinking oh, so this is what it feels like to not be nauseous, id forgotten how nice this is. Thankfully I'm one of the lucky ones who can gain weight while I'm on zofran even if I still pile randomly. Please video if you play "slap-a-hoe!" Next time I'm hugging the bucket like my life depends on it I will watch that on repeat to take the edge off the misery!