Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #21
happy in FL
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to respond to the question about bumper pads and later comment about a fluffy blanket... We are super nervous about them and have never used any. Maybe check out this page : http://www.sidsamerica.org/blog/what...s-risk-factors

Also, our home has been in the high 50s overnight a couple of times this winter (we didn't turn on the heat )... DS slept cozily in the following: prefold diaper, doubler, pul cover, lightweight cotton t shirt (gerber), cotton long sleeved/long legs pj set, second cotton pj--usually thermal snap up with no feet, cotton socks, and on top of all that a blanket sleeper (fleece footie pjs) one size too big so it fits

He was toasty warm all night, I think! (He still nurses at night.) hope that helps!

Advertisement

happy in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #22
Corgi
Registered Users

Re: Keeping baby warm and safe in his crib

We cosleep, but we live in an old house that's terribly expensive to heat. (It cost us $490 to keep it 65 last month... So we don't bump it any warmer than that)
We do a mitten cuff onesie under fleece footie jammies. If his hands feel a little chilly I might slip some no scratch mittens on as well for an extra layer, but that's not usually necessary.
Sleep sacks are a good option too.
Chase, born Oct 2013 at 29weeks, HOME where he belongs after 59 long days in NICU.
expecting
someone new Nov/Dec 2015.
Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #23
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My girls are little yet (almost 3 mos, but small) & or room is over the unheated garage, so I'd guess it's in the lower 60s overnight. We started out cosleeping w/ both; they were so skinny & couldn't maintain their temps well. Now they both wear a footed sleeper, romper, or sleep gown under a long-sleeved Carter's fleece sleep sack. The twin that sleeps in the crib also gets wrapped in a flannel swaddling blanket. She's only cold on our most brutally cold nights.

We don't do loose blankets, fluffy mattress covers, or bumpers.

Last edited by carriek38; 02-10-2014 at 09:30 PM.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 AM   #24
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

65-70 degrees is ideal temp for baby to sleep in. That said, we use a fleece Halo sleepsack over a fleece footed jammie. I put socks on her hands cause they were like ice. with the socks she is great. sorry, NAK
Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 AM   #25
Sydsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our little guy hates to be cold and his room
is the chilliest in the house. We do

Thermal underwear or cotton sleeper
Socks
Fleece sleeper
Fleece double sided blanket
Fleece blanket under flannel crib sheet
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #26
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got lucky and scored some super thick and cozy organic PJs from a going out of business sale. They were SO warm. I think the brand was Kids In The Garden. We used those with a sleep sack. We also had a sleep blanket with arms but I don't remember the brand or where we got it. I used those shirts with fold over mittens as long as I could, too.

Our daughter was a side sleeper that would rotate in her sleep. We had a bassinet with solid fabric sides and she would end up with her tiny nose stuck up against the side all the time. Scared me to death and she ended up in a rock 'n' play until we moved her to the crib. I hated the crib. We used the mesh bumper but it was more of a hindrance and danger than a help. Even tying the thing near the bottom, she would find a way to squeeze a limb out, or get one trapped somehow between the mesh and the mattress. I gave up and removed it after about 2 weeks and I would not recommend them.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #27
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got lucky and scored some super thick and cozy organic PJs from a going out of business sale. They were SO warm. I think the brand was Kids In The Garden. We used those with a sleep sack. We also had a sleep blanket with arms but I don't remember the brand or where we got it. I used those shirts with fold over mittens as long as I could, too.

Our daughter was a side sleeper that would rotate in her sleep. We had a bassinet with solid fabric sides and she would end up with her tiny nose stuck up against the side all the time. Scared me to death and she ended up in a rock 'n' play until we moved her to the crib. I hated the crib. We used the mesh bumper but it was more of a hindrance and danger than a help. Even tying the thing near the bottom, she would find a way to squeeze a limb out, or get one trapped somehow between the mesh and the mattress. I gave up and removed it after about 2 weeks and I would not recommend them.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #28
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

could you do like a sleeping bag type thing?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #29
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjk View Post
65-70 degrees is ideal temp for baby to sleep in. That said, we use a fleece Halo sleepsack over a fleece footed jammie. I put socks on her hands cause they were like ice. with the socks she is great. sorry, NAK
My youngest would freak out if I put something over her hands. She's a thumb girl. Cold or not, she needs to have her hands free. I have noticed when it's particularly cold in her room she'll roll over so that her knees and hands are tucked under her.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #30
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Whoever mentioned the long sleeve sleep sacks thanks! I haven't seen those Ill have to look for them

He does sleep in our bed most of the night. Hes only in his crib for naps and the first part of the night sometimes, which is only a couple hours. I think the fleece or warmer sheet will really help

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
How old is he?? Sorry if I missed that. ^ is what I was thinking. Like scratch mitts or even some socks over his little hands. I always felt so nervous too with any blankets. I always put socks on under footie pajamas and sometimes a onesie and used fleece in winter. Is he young enough to do some kind of swaddle wrap that keeps his arms in?
He is 5 months. I tried wrapping his arms and he didn't like it. At the same time he doesn't like his arms flat on the matress either, he really likes sleeping with a blanket tucked around him so now he pretty much always naps on his belly or he will wake up within a few minutes of being put down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risata View Post
A fleece blanket under the crib sheet should help with the chill of the mattress. Or you could use a fleece or flannel crib sheet. If you cannot find one to buy they are super-easy to make. You just need a couple yards of fabric, a sewing machine, and some elastic!
This is a great idea thanks! Ive tried laying a blanket down under the sheet but the sheet is too tight and keeps popping back off, I will have to either find or make a sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy in FL View Post
I just wanted to respond to the question about bumper pads and later comment about a fluffy blanket... We are super nervous about them and have never used any. Maybe check out this page : http://www.sidsamerica.org/blog/what...s-risk-factors

Also, our home has been in the high 50s overnight a couple of times this winter (we didn't turn on the heat )... DS slept cozily in the following: prefold diaper, doubler, pul cover, lightweight cotton t shirt (gerber), cotton long sleeved/long legs pj set, second cotton pj--usually thermal snap up with no feet, cotton socks, and on top of all that a blanket sleeper (fleece footie pjs) one size too big so it fits

He was toasty warm all night, I think! (He still nurses at night.) hope that helps!
Thank you I will read the link But the blanket in his crib is very thick/heavy/flat and almost the same size as the mattress so it wasn't a safety hazard (I don't think anyway) until recently when hes been scooting and pulling up the edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleokatrah View Post

Thanks I will nix that idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
My youngest would freak out if I put something over her hands. She's a thumb girl. Cold or not, she needs to have her hands free. I have noticed when it's particularly cold in her room she'll roll over so that her knees and hands are tucked under her.
He has started to do this! Which has been a life saver because for a few days hes been unable to nap due to being cold/uncomfortable with out a blanket
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote