Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Typical 3 yo abilities

Ds turned 3 in November and I feel like he may not be getting some things a typical kid his she does. He doesn't know any colors, any of the alphabet, can't count past 3, doesn't know his age, the list goes on. We work with him, he just doesn't seem to retain any if it. He was a late talker as well. Am I worried about nothing? He was evaluated by the school but that just didnt seem very thorough, they said he was great in some areas and lacking in others. He wasn't lacking enough to qualify for any services.

Advertisement

s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Typical 3 yo abilities

If you are worried talk to his doctor.

My first child did everything ahead of schedule. Sit, crawl, walk, talk, colors, age, etc. My second child did nothing early except roll over and climb. He was a late talker as well. He is now 10 years old so don't remember things exactly. I am pretty sure he didn't now his age, colors, or alphabet by age 3. I now his speech wasn't good yet either. He is an average 10 year old now. He did have some speech class but that was because he kept dropping words in his sentences. Like when asking to go to the bathroom he would say,' Go bathroom?' instead of,' Can I go to the bathroom?'. This was in kindy. He still slips on occasion but otherwise is fine.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
If you are worried talk to his doctor.

My first child did everything ahead of schedule. Sit, crawl, walk, talk, colors, age, etc. My second child did nothing early except roll over and climb. He was a late talker as well. He is now 10 years old so don't remember things exactly. I am pretty sure he didn't now his age, colors, or alphabet by age 3. I now his speech wasn't good yet either. He is an average 10 year old now. He did have some speech class but that was because he kept dropping words in his sentences. Like when asking to go to the bathroom he would say,' Go bathroom?' instead of,' Can I go to the bathroom?'. This was in kindy. He still slips on occasion but otherwise is fine.
We did, he is the one that recommended the school evaluation. My first was also an early everything kid and that is part of my problem, kwim? Am I worried because I am comparing them or because he really is behind? I can't help but feel like he is already falling through the cracks and I don't know what to do that I haven't already.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I think I would go back to the doctor then. Explain your concerns about the eval and see if he can be referred elsewhere.

A good source for information is the special needs section on here. Between them all those ladies know just about everything you could want to know about getting the help you need.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is he interested when you are working with him? DS1 doesn't like to listen to dh or I when we are trying to teach him, but he pays attention to leap frog videos. He learned all his letters and sounds from watching that. I worked with him for months and couldn't get him to do it, but after a few times of the letter factory he knew it all. DS2 acted like he didn't know his colors, everything was pink if you asked him. I heard him one day sitting by himself looking at a book pointing at things and saying the right colors. As soon as I went over and asked him it all went back to being pink. He may know more than he is letting on.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like a normal 3 year old to me. But them I am a huge believer of a kid needs to know x,x, and z by a specific age or there is something wrong so lets rush him to all kids of dr.

My first was late at everything (excpet being born). He barely talked at 3. He could point somethings out. Then he turned 4 and holy learning explosion. He started preschool and was/has been ahead of his class every since. He was meeting end of the year expectations at fall conferences.

Every kid is different. Do what you are comfortable with. Me I would leave him alone and let him learn at his pace.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

That doesn't sound that unusual; I really think all kids are different, especially at 1-3 years old. (For background: My 3 year old is delayed in several areas and was a late talker, and goes to public preschool on an IEP. Generally, to me, my kid seems young for his age.) Other than the couple of things which will be harder for him forever (because he has low muscle tone and terrible fine motor skills), I really think it will all shake out within a few years and he'll do fine in school. He "knows" how old he is because when you ask him he says, "three." But when I ask him how old I am he usually says something like, "three months," so he obviously has no real clue about age. He also really didn't know any letters or numerals until he started school, now he knows some or a few but definitely not all. He can mumble his way through the alphabet song. He can count by rote to 10, but if you asked him if 9 was more than 7, I'm not sure he'd know. His memory for colors and shapes and things has always been fine.

All the things you've listed are just things to memorize, really. So the only part of this that *might* concern me is that you feel he isn't retaining information. How is his receptive language - does he seem to not understand everyday communication? My guess is that he's just not interested in memorizing that stuff at this point. We have never worked with my son on academic stuff, nor did he want to, so it wasn't until he went to preschool that he has slowly started to learn more of it. I don't know what the evaluation consisted of, but if you think it wasn't thorough, I'd request another. (Ours was a meeting at our home to discuss my son, separate evaluations by the speech therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, a cognitive evaluation with the school director, and me filling out various forms and questionnaires about my son's abilities). The preschool has been wonderful for my late bloomer.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have seem countless 3 year olds in my career and it really just depends. I have some who can write their name and recite the alphabet in both languages.
Then I have some who don't recognize any letters or colours. It really comes down to interest, if they are interested in learning they will. There is no need for a 3 year old to know their letter, numbers or colours really so I wouldn't stress.
Just introduce it into your daily life as oppose to "teaching" it. If he is playing cars say something like "is the green car faster than than red car?" Point to the cars of those colours. When shopping get him to help choose between green or red apples or look for the yellow bananas. Also just say it without expecting a response, if he point to the green ones then sure say something like "green, great choice"

Talk about the number on the check put aisle, count your steps, check out the calendar number each day. If he is exposed and hearing it he will learn there is no real reason to teach it. I have never been a "teacher" even though I am officially one

Last edited by mmmom; 02-11-2014 at 02:34 PM.
mmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think I feel a little better after reading some of these responses. I think I am comparing him to dd more than I intend to without realizing it. It may very well just be a lack of interest on his part. He is more mechanically inclined than his sister is currently, so I know he is a smart boy.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My two older boys are night and day different in learning styles. My oldest loved to be quizzed so to speak at a young age.more structured learning. DS 2 is much more hands on. Ask him to say his ABC and he won't do it. He knows them. But if we play a game or he plays a game on the computer he gets everything right.

It is hard not to compare our kids to each other and to other kids. Every kid is different.

Your DS won't fall behind you are a good mom. Keep doing what you are doing.