Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
alergens and asthma

My DS was diagnosed with Asthma at the beginning of January (sort-of; the diagnosis is from our primary care physician; as we haven't seen a pulmonologist yet; but he was also started on Pulmicort; and albuterol at that time and has been doing %150 better since then).

The last few days he has been getting a little more "raspy" again; and then yesterday he had a hard time taking a nap b/c he kept coughing and it would wake him up... Last night he slept in his room for about 4 hours and then started coughing- to where he would wake himself up and start crying. Some coughing was intense enough to make him gag and throw-up. After going back and forth to his room several times trying to making him more comfortable etc... I finally brought him to our room, and let him sleep in bed with us. After being in out room for a little while his cough almost immediately subsided and he slept fine w/o cough the rest of the night. Early this morning, I tried putting him back in his room, and right away the coughing started again... This makes me think there might be allergens affecting him in his bedroom???

I washed his sheets and curtains this morning, vacuumed his room, dusted everything, changed the filter and wiped down his humidifier, opened his vents and vacuumed in those... Any culprits that I could be missing??? how do you reduce allergens in your home???

DS is 18 months old, and we do not have any pets.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

What kind of furniture is in his room? How new is it? Anything else new in his room? Some offgasses can be bad for asthma.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
What kind of furniture is in his room? How new is it? Anything else new in his room? Some offgasses can be bad for asthma.
Nothing is new- everything has been in his room since he was born. Nothing has really changed- that is why, I just started cleaning everything this morning. He slept better for nap today- but still woke up early coughing.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
kanga1622
Registered Users

How often are you emptying and cleaning out his humidifier? We do it at least every three days. The stagnant water runs pretty quickly to mold/mildew. I know a lot of asthma kids that react to molds.

What about stuffed animals and comforters? They don't tend to get washed as often and the dust and dust mites can build up on the quickly.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 02-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622
How often are you emptying and cleaning out his humidifier? We do it at least every three days. The stagnant water runs pretty quickly to mold/mildew. I know a lot of asthma kids that react to molds. What about stuffed animals and comforters? They don't tend to get washed as often and the dust and dust mites can build up on the quickly. Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Also be sure distillers water only.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: alergens and asthma

Poor little guy! I sympathize - I'm in the same boat!

Several things that have helped me:

Allergen covers on the pillow and mattress, under the sheets, and skip the mattress pad. The covers marked as being for bedbug prevention work, too. Pull back the covers each day and let the bed "air" for a couple of hours after he gets up, before you make the bed.

Wash all bedding at least once a week - including comforters and blankets. I've actually found that using just a fitted sheet and a duvet with cover (instead of a top sheet) works best for me. I don't have to wash the duvet every week, just the cover.

Run an air purifier in his bedroom at night. You can find these for about $35 at Walmart or Target, but the replacement filters (about every 3 months) run about $14, so it's cheaper to spend $65 or so on one with a washable filter.

No curtains, unless you want to take them down and wash them every week. Use blinds/shades instead and vacuum or wipe them down with damp cloth every week.

Be careful of mold. I find I have to check the window frames frequently during the week when using a humidifier.

Ideally, keep stuffed animals and even carpet out of the bedroom. If you can't, make sure you vacuum frequently, and give non-washable stuffed animals a tumble in the dryer on the air only cycle every week.

The italicized notes make the most difference for me. Good luck!
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622 View Post
How often are you emptying and cleaning out his humidifier? We do it at least every three days. The stagnant water runs pretty quickly to mold/mildew. I know a lot of asthma kids that react to molds.

What about stuffed animals and comforters? They don't tend to get washed as often and the dust and dust mites can build up on the quickly.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy View Post
Also be sure distillers water only.
I empty and refill his humidifier every day, but haven't really been cleaning it out that regularly- so I will definitely start doing that... Did not know about only using distillers water- we will have to pick some of that up..

He has some stuffed animals but they are all in a toy box in his room that has a lid on it... none in his crib or out; but I could definitely wash those. No comforters, just one blanket that I wash regularly with sheets.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
Poor little guy! I sympathize - I'm in the same boat!

Several things that have helped me:

Allergen covers on the pillow and mattress, under the sheets, and skip the mattress pad. The covers marked as being for bedbug prevention work, too. Pull back the covers each day and let the bed "air" for a couple of hours after he gets up, before you make the bed.

Wash all bedding at least once a week - including comforters and blankets. I've actually found that using just a fitted sheet and a duvet with cover (instead of a top sheet) works best for me. I don't have to wash the duvet every week, just the cover.

Run an air purifier in his bedroom at night. You can find these for about $35 at Walmart or Target, but the replacement filters (about every 3 months) run about $14, so it's cheaper to spend $65 or so on one with a washable filter.

No curtains, unless you want to take them down and wash them every week. Use blinds/shades instead and vacuum or wipe them down with damp cloth every week.

Be careful of mold. I find I have to check the window frames frequently during the week when using a humidifier.

Ideally, keep stuffed animals and even carpet out of the bedroom. If you can't, make sure you vacuum frequently, and give non-washable stuffed animals a tumble in the dryer on the air only cycle every week.

The italicized notes make the most difference for me. Good luck!
thank you for all the info, this is just stuff I really haven't ever thought of before, b/c DH and I do not have asthma, or any sort of allergies for that matter. I think we definitely should invest in an air purifier.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Air purifier would help a ton. It does for me as the dust settle at night and would wake up with stuffy nose. I'll get the occasional asthma attacks at night but the purifier did reduce that by quite a bit. I use Winix HEPA air purifier.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote