Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Public School Kindergarten in modern times...what do you think?

I'm not much of a homeschool fan personally for us [thought at one point I wanted too]. But now it's looking appealing again. But we just can't afford for me to stay home to do it. Private school is out [way too expensive] and not much different in structure anyway.

It's a grin, bare it and get through it. But I don't have to like it!

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I'm not much of a homeschool fan personally for us [thought at one point I wanted too]. But now it's looking appealing again. But we just can't afford for me to stay home to do it. Private school is out [way too expensive] and not much different in structure anyway.

It's a grin, bare it and get through it. But I don't have to like it!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #13
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These responses make me really glad we are in the school we are in.

My 1st grader hasn't had daily homework yet. they have fluency packets to practice ready but takes about 5 minutes. We do have reading logs to fill out. They have to read 400 minutes a month but no set time each night.

They have some other site words/word list they work on but again not nightly and they only take about 5 minutes.

Occasionally he gets a couple worksheets sent home for over the weekend.

So far I haven't notice any stress. He loves school. They follow saxon math which is pretty easy and they seem to be going at a normal pace. Nothing to fast. Just basic bath right now.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Oh yes, I forgot about the reading logs. Those are on top of the nightly homework.
They have to read or be read to each not for 15 minutes [which is totally fine!], plus they have to read one fiction book and one non fiction/information book and do a BME on the fiction, and for the information text they have to draw and/or write a sentence [3 of them] on three things they learned from the text.

3RockStars knows what's been going on personally with us. And it sucks!

I am so glad some of you have some great schools!!!!!! It makes so much of a difference.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Oh yes, I forgot about the reading logs. Those are on top of the nightly homework.
They have to read or be read to each not for 15 minutes [which is totally fine!], plus they have to read one fiction book and one non fiction/information book and do a BME on the fiction, and for the information text they have to draw and/or write a sentence [3 of them] on three things they learned from the text.

I am so glad some of you have some great schools!!!!!! It makes so much of a difference.
This is kindergarten?! Ours hasn't been this much homework the entire year, it has crept up from 15 minutes or so to around an hour now every night. It's just too much, I have no issue with a little homework, it is reality and preparatory for later. However, my 6 yo can hardly sit still for an hour to do something she is really interested in, never mind something she outright does not want to do.

I feel like some of what is going on at dds school is due to a recent drop in their test scores sadly. They 100% expect kindergartners to be reading by the end or the year (I really feel like my dd is able to keep up only because she is the oldest child in the class, if she had started the year before there is no way) and make a stink about it all year if your child is not meeting these expectations. They want to keep their highest test scores in the county at all costs.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post

That is crazy for a K. I just have to read to him, have him read and it doesn't have to be books or any specific book. helping me read a recipe or if we play a game where he has to read cards all counts.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

I think that kids are not allowed to be kids any more period. I just had to step back this week as I got frustrated that my 4 year old was not grasping a certain concept I was trying to teach. Not frustrated at her, with myself. But then it hit me. She is only 4. Not even 4 1/2 yet. Next year she will still be 4 when Kindergarten starts technically in the district we will be in. And not make the cut off IIRC. So why am I stressing that she isnt grasping something that when I was in school was 1st grade work? We homeschool so we can go at our own pace. I am learning to let it go. She is willing to learn and pushes really fast, but there is things that she is not grasping.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #18
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, it's ridiculous.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #19
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think kindergarten for kids who are ready to really dig into reading and math is great for them. But for the kids who just aren't quite there yet it is HORRIBLE. DD2 is in K this year and it isn't nearly as driven as OP's sounds. Most of the kids are doing great. But there is one boy who didn't even know his letters 2 months into school yet and was already hopelessly behind the other kids who were up to 15 sight words (I think) and reading simple books. He couldn't sound out words because he didn't know his letters. I have talked with several teachers that say he just isn't ready to learn that stuff maturity-wise and by the time he is he'll be so far behind that he'll probably never get caught up. It is a horrible cycle for those kids because there is a good chance when their brain is ready that they have huge potential but are too far behind to show it.

Now dd2 is doing amazing. She is so ready to read and do the math concepts they're learning. I know at least 1/3-1/2 of her class is doing equally as good with reading (I go once a week and help with reading time). I'm not sure how other kids are doing with math since I'm not there for math time. So for kids who are ready to learn the faster pace is great for them.

DD2's class has a ton of playtime still. It is educational playtime but playtime all the same. When I talk to dd2 she talks about how she's playing - not how she's doing math. They play a lot of board games in small groups for math practice. They are card games for learning words that they play together. Every week they are seated with 3 other kids and that is their small group for the week - they play games and work with those kids that week. The teacher spends a lot of her time just working with the small groups - she rarely does a lesson for the full class. I know even talking to the kids who aren't in as high of a reading group as dd2 that they're having fun. When I talk to them they talk to me about the games they play, the puzzles they put together, the sheets they color. They have enough free time each day that dd2 brings me at least 2-3 projects from the art center that she's done that day. (she spends all her free time in the art center) I haven't ever seen a whole day of school for dd2 but I've seen enough to know they never sit for 40 minutes doing any one things. Lots of wiggling is encouraged. DD2 brings home 2 books to read to us every Friday otherwise she never has homework. We have stuff sent home telling us the goals for this unit and what to work on if our child needs more help at home but so far dd2 is doing fine so we don't work on that stuff. (this unit I have a llst of non-sense words to help kids practice sounding out 4 letter words) Our school in general does not do homework. Even dd1 rarely brings home homework and she's in 3rd grade. She's expected to read 15 minutes 5 days a week but that is all the required reading goals are. She only brings work home if she doesn't finish it in class - I think that's been maybe 5 times this year and she's always finished in less than 5 minutes at home.

So I think some schools (from reading what people say in various threads here) are incredibly demanding of what they expect of kids. And I'm so very very very greatful we don't live in one of those districts. But not every public school is that way. Some are managing to meet common core requirements and still have some fun.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #20
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I taught kindergarten 10 years ago and felt that it was getting out of hand even then. No recess in half day K and only one 15 minute recess allowed in full day K. It was ridiculous. My students managed to meet all the academic standards without homework or excessive table work. A friends son is in K now and has a ridiculous amount of homework. The teacher even gave daily homework to do over Christmas vacation! I wish we would just let our kids be little and allow them to learn in a developmentally appropriate manner.