Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #71
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: Public School Kindergarten in modern times...what do you think?

I absolutely hate the current public school kindergarten trend where students are expected to go into kindy reading. My oldest started kindy and was immediately put into "remedial reading" because she couldn't read. I switched schools and their current school has a view I'm much, much more comfortable with. Preschool and kindy focus on learning a routine and the ability to focus and listen, and interact respectfully with their classmates. Reading doesn't start until first grade, and it's a slow introduction. They get two recesses a day in first grade; one is 20 minutes and the second is close to an hour. Kindy has an hour outside each day (half day).

Advertisement

Last edited by an_aurora; 02-14-2014 at 09:23 PM.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #72
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.Uv7pS4W7Qiw Read this article before deciding to hold Korea as a good model for how we should teach! I think that a typical 12th grader attends school from 5am - 10pm in Korea. (Based on what I was told by Koreans and teachers who worked in Korea). This is also a trend in many Asian countries and that is why I am so scared for our children in the US. The US is making many of these educational changes to try and compete with Asians especially on Math and science.
This is what I see. I don't think the US is going to consistently compete with them academically using relaxed schooling environments. I don't disagree that rigorous methods are the way to get really educated kids, but I don't agree that I value that intelligence above all around health (emotional, social, etc).

I think our schools are trying to navigate a happy medium right now where they appease parents who are worried about their kids stress levels and people in leadership positions who are pushing for more education. But I worry that it can't stay this way. The public school system seems to be making very few people happy. I think it's going to tip one way or the other to cater to the group with the most influence.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #73
MadAgain
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but I send my kids to school to get a good education, not play. One poster said something about her kids have an hour and a half total of recess time per day. That would severely tick me off lol. I do think kids need some down time in learning, but they don't need multiple recesses a day. My kids have school from 7:25am-2:00pm. If an hour and a half of that was recess every single day, I just, yeah that wouldn't sit well with me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum (and autocorrect hates me)
MadAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #74
mrsrozberry
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAgain
I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but I send my kids to school to get a good education, not play. One poster said something about her kids have an hour and a half total of recess time per day. That would severely tick me off lol. I do think kids need some down time in learning, but they don't need multiple recesses a day. My kids have school from 7:25am-2:00pm. If an hour and a half of that was recess every single day, I just, yeah that wouldn't sit well with me. Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum (and autocorrect hates me)
Even in kindergarten?
mrsrozberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #75
MadAgain
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by E&LsMama
Even in kindergarten?
Yeah. To me, kindergarten is when educating should begin...it's how it was when I was a kid, so I guess it's just the norm for me.

MadAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 AM   #76
kanga1622
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29
I also have never heard of a child not attending preschool--public or private or Head Start. It's not required or anything, but it's sort of like taking your child swimming on hot days. Everyone just does it here. But it sounds like that's not the norm other places?
My boys won't go to preschool. The private and school district ones are $4 or more per hour. That is more than double my daycare cost for my 3 year old. We are over income for Head Start so getting a spot didn't work out. Plus, the logistics of two working parents with different schedules, only one of us has flexibility in our day, and one car is a tough puzzle.

I actually know a lot of kids here that don't do preschool. If there are 2 working parents, they often cannot find a way to show up late and leave early for lunch each day their child is in a half day program. And many daycares you pay for the spot so they would essentially be paying for daycare and preschool for all of those hours. That could easily make the cost $6+. We have a lot of kids in home daycares here so no integrated preschool while they are already in care.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 02-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #77
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622 View Post
I actually know a lot of kids here that don't do preschool. If there are 2 working parents, they often cannot find a way to show up late and leave early for lunch each day their child is in a half day program. And many daycares you pay for the spot so they would essentially be paying for daycare and preschool for all of those hours. That could easily make the cost $6+. We have a lot of kids in home daycares here so no integrated preschool while they are already in care.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
That's the case where I'm from. It was poor & rural. People either didn't work (& don't work with their kids) & don't have transportation to get to & from programs, or both parents work...far enough away that taxi-ing back & forth from preschool isn't possible.

Where we are now is a lot more affluent. Kids go to preschool...full day programs starting at age 2 that cost thousands & thousands a year, or smaller programs that the vast number of SAHMs can utilize. We're "behind" b/c DD 1 is just now starting formal preschool & turning 4 next month.

And FTR, I think most of the examples are about pooir instruction & poor instructional design than about the learning expectations or length of school day. Good instruction is possible while incorporating plenty of play & movement, & engagement. One of the biggest differences between the US & top performing nations is that teachers elsewhere are selected from amongst the top academic performers. Not so here, for a variety of reasons, but I think it has an impact when we're talking about the need to combine rigor with engagement...you really do need to be smart & engaged in the academic process to "get it" & do it well
Old 02-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #78
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

Haven't read the whole thread, but for my kids, no, public k isn't too demanding. In fact, it isn't rigorous enough.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #79
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAgain View Post
I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but I send my kids to school to get a good education, not play. One poster said something about her kids have an hour and a half total of recess time per day. That would severely tick me off lol. I do think kids need some down time in learning, but they don't need multiple recesses a day. My kids have school from 7:25am-2:00pm. If an hour and a half of that was recess every single day, I just, yeah that wouldn't sit well with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLA View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but for my kids, no, public k isn't too demanding. In fact, it isn't rigorous enough.
Interesting.

I'm glad that your kiddos do not struggle and you wish it were even more strenuous.

But for my special needs child it is a nightmare. And when the teacher makes the choice to keep him away from me when I request him for lunch that is crossing the line on what they expect IMO.

Having taken early childhood development classes for my crediential, I know that children of that age are not developmentally ready to sit for 20+ minutes listening to instruction without speaking a word. With only one 15 minute recess where they don't go outside but instead the teacher puts a DVD on for "movement".

Children of this age still NEED free play. Among other things.

I would have thought a bit differently myself last year when my first special needs son did Kindergarten. Of course he was working well above 1 whole grade level. [His special needs don't hinder his academic work].

I know I'm touchy on it. It's been a tough road. But I don't see the need to do military type instruction at such an early age. I'd send them to a specialty school if I wanted that

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post

And FTR, I think most of the examples are about pooir instruction & poor instructional design than about the learning expectations or length of school day. Good instruction is possible while incorporating plenty of play & movement, & engagement. One of the biggest differences between the US & top performing nations is that teachers elsewhere are selected from amongst the top academic performers. Not so here, for a variety of reasons, but I think it has an impact when we're talking about the need to combine rigor with engagement...you really do need to be smart & engaged in the academic process to "get it" & do it well
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!