Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Ear Infections before Antibiotics...

So, dd had her first ear infection (at almost 3 years old). I never had them growing up and she was my first child to ever have one... I was quite surprised when they said that was the fever is from

Her fever (with Tylenol) went from 102.4 to 104.7 by 3pm yesterday, so I took her in (she was shaking, not seizuring, just fidgety). I am not an antibiotic person, unless it is needed, and the doctor said it was so we gave it to her (her fever broke about 10 hours after the first dose). So, what did people do before antibiotics when they had ear infections?! Would someone go deaf? Just curious

Advertisement

CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Most ear infections will clear up by themselves without antibiotics. The AAP changed their stance on ABX routinely for ear infections several years ago. Most times Tylenol/Motrin and maybe some of the numbing drops should be ok.

A perforated ear drum does not equal deafness. Although, repeatedly perforating and healing will cause scar tissue and hearing loss eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Re: Ear Infections before Antibiotics...

Even growing up in the 80's we didn't use antibiotics for ear infections. Warm compresses and numbing oil from the ped. They don't even recommend antibiotics for ear infections now. My grandparents recommeded garlic oil for my son. People did know how to survive before antibiotics for every little thing.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Only a couple of my kids have had ear pain, I usually give them Ibuprofen and garlic oil drops/warm compresses in their ears and they feel better in a couple of days. I remember my ear drum ruptured once when I was a little kid, abx usually made me really sick so my pediatrician didn't give them to me. Other than that I only remember having a couple of ear infections and I still have super hearing.

Study:Antibiotics have little impact on child ear infections. This is the study that helped changed the AAP's stance on abx for ear infections.

Quote:
The study found that 80 out of 100 otherwise healthy children would recover from an acute ear infection within a few days if given medication only to relieve pain or fevers.
If all 100 were given antibiotics instead, 92 would be better in the same period, said Dr. Tumaini Coker, the study's lead author.
"But we would also expect three to 10 kids to develop rash and five to 10 to develop diarrhea," said Coker, a pediatrician at Mattel Children's Hospital at the University of California-Los Angeles.

Coker noted that the increased number of children in the study who benefited from treatment with antibiotics was similar to the number that could be expected to get side effects from the antibiotic treatment.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

My 2 year old DS had 2 ear infections this past year, one in March and one in November. I never had any as a child and was wondering the same thing actually. I then spoke to my ND and he recommended ibuprofen if necessary, ear drops, garlic oil and warm compresses. Just like previous posters have said. I haven't tried it myself but I'm sure it works. Also, I've heard of some people using natural antibiotics if it is a bacterial infection. The problem is that most doctors don't take cultures anymore so they give antibiotics incase of a bacterial infection, even though most are viral.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
Even growing up in the 80's we didn't use antibiotics for ear infections. Warm compresses and numbing oil from the ped. They don't even recommend antibiotics for ear infections now. My grandparents recommeded garlic oil for my son. People did know how to survive before antibiotics for every little thing.
This is how my mom treated ear infections when I was little. As far as I know, I have never even been on abx myself!

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was a swimmer, and growing up "back in my day" the coach would pour hydrogen peroxide in the offending ear when someone complained of an earache.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
I was a swimmer, and growing up "back in my day" the coach would pour hydrogen peroxide in the offending ear when someone complained of an earache.
My husband does this to his ears when he gets an earache.

My oldest used to be a competitive swimmer. The highest % isopropyl alcohol was what their coaches suggested. I checked swimmers ear meds and that is exactly what it is. But much cheaper to buy a dropper and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. After each training session and meet she put it in her ears and no problems ever.

But, that is totally different than otitis media.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have wondered about this recently. If the infection is viral I guess you wouldn't expect to see a difference within 1 or 2 doses of antibiotic? I am super cautious about antibiotic as well as radiation from imaging(topic for another day). Our 2 youngest kids have had ear infections recently and they were so sick and in a crazy amount of pain. I usually feel pretty confident about making medical decisions but this one has been causing me lots of questions lately. Also, can someone please tell me the name of the numbing drops?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

One of the brand names is Auralgan. It comes in generic also. I make sure to always have some in the house.