Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Ear Infections before Antibiotics...

When I grew up, we never used antibiotics for anything more than the occasional tonsillitis, or if we had an infected cut. I grew up in the 70s, but we didn't go to the doctor unless things were really bad. I probably saw a doctor about 6 times in my whole childhood.

But. Yes, some people did lose hearing because of ear infections. Not many, but enough that I know quite a few adults who lost a certain degree of hearing from it.

It seems like some kids get ear infections very often though, and I think those are the ones in danger. Not just the random ear infection.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
kanga1622
Registered Users

Chiropractic care has really helped us. It helps to let the ear drain. Cultures that use holistic meds or care have been using alternative therapies for generations.

As a kid I had a TON of ear infections and was usually placed on abx. Even with that, I still perforated my left ear drum at least 3 times. I perforated my right ear drum a couple years ago as well. I had my hearing tested about a year after that incident and my hearing tested on the lower side of normal but still within the normal limits.

Honestly, because of my recurrent infections, I don't even know I have one anymore. That's what happened with my last perforation, I just woke up at 3 am in extreme pain and knew exactly what was going to happen.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Pretty much what above posters mentioned. They used natural remedies and the majority survived with no issues. I would imagine since the majority of people breastfed their babies there was very likely fewer ear infections to begin with. A percentage of people with severe cases probably did suffer some degree of hearing loss.

My son recently had a mild ear infection. His pediatrician advised us to use some natural remedies and to keep an eye on him. If however his symptoms became severe we could fill the script she gave us for antbiotics. She did emphasize several times we need only fill the prescription if things got really bad for him. He got better just fine without the prescription so it was never filled. for his chronic diarrhea she recommended digestive aids and probiotics to help him. They are working well for him.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

THat is what I thought... So, how do you know a 2.5/3 year old has ear pain? Mine drank fine, she never pulled on her ears or said she was in pain. She just cried, all night long!! And was super fussy for a few days before that? Should I just take them in and have the doctor tell me they are infect/sore/irritated or can I buy one of those thingies online somewhere? If I had a child prone to them then I would just assume, but when the doctor told me her ears I was totally surprised! We just dont have 'ear issues' like some little ones do.

We are still leaving her one the antibiotics because of strep (I know some people dont but I know people who had Rheumatic feaver when young and with my bad heart we are not risking it spreading!).

Last edited by CntryMama; 02-14-2014 at 05:52 AM.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #15
Beaners_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622
Honestly, because of my recurrent infections, I don't even know I have one anymore. That's what happened with my last perforation, I just woke up at 3 am in extreme pain and knew exactly what was going to happen.
That's how it was with my DD. No matter what I did it seemed like every month she had an ear infection. The only way I can tell now is when she says her ear feels crusty. I remember one time she was laying on me and fluid leaked out of her ear.....and she wasn't in pain. She just said "well yeah I guess it is a little crusty feeling". She seems to be growing out of them...hopefully.

My older brother had them so much growing up he ha a burst ear drum a few times. My DD only had that happen once that I know of. My brother eventually had surgery to repair it, when he was a lot older...
Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #16
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Way, way back, doctors used to puncture the eardrum for a bad infection, figuring a small, clean cut would heal better than allowing it to burst naturally.

FWIW, my oldest had chronic ear infections. When he was 3 1/2, he was referred to an Pediatric ENT surgeon for evaluation, with expectation that they would put in ear tubes. As part of the exam, the doctor made a small puncture in the eardrum to get a sample of the fluid in there. His ear drained for the next 2 days, and he has not had another ear infection.

For both kids, though, I keep Garlic Mulein oil on hand, and put a couple of warm drops in a sore ear. We also kept the anaesthetic drops on hand for a while. Another option is Epsom salts in a clean sock, warmed, and placed right behind the ear. Helps draw out fluid and increase circulation.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #17
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Way, way back, doctors used to puncture the eardrum for a bad infection, figuring a small, clean cut would heal better than allowing it to burst naturally.

FWIW, my oldest had chronic ear infections. When he was 3 1/2, he was referred to an Pediatric ENT surgeon for evaluation, with expectation that they would put in ear tubes. As part of the exam, the doctor made a small puncture in the eardrum to get a sample of the fluid in there. His ear drained for the next 2 days, and he has not had another ear infection.

For both kids, though, I keep Garlic Mulein oil on hand, and put a couple of warm drops in a sore ear. We also kept the anaesthetic drops on hand for a while. Another option is Epsom salts in a clean sock, warmed, and placed right behind the ear. Helps draw out fluid and increase circulation.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

My father had an ear infection which turned into meningitis. He almost died. This was only 3 years ago. He was in the hospital for a month and then had a pic line for months. My kids haven't had an ear infection yet but I remember how much they hurt from when I was a child. My preference would be that they checked for it to be bacterial or viral and then treat that way. I guess I'll see what I do when it happens. But I understand why they started to use antibiotic to treat them.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #19
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
So, dd had her first ear infection (at almost 3 years old). I never had them growing up and she was my first child to ever have one... I was quite surprised when they said that was the fever is from

Her fever (with Tylenol) went from 102.4 to 104.7 by 3pm yesterday, so I took her in (she was shaking, not seizuring, just fidgety). I am not an antibiotic person, unless it is needed, and the doctor said it was so we gave it to her (her fever broke about 10 hours after the first dose). So, what did people do before antibiotics when they had ear infections?! Would someone go deaf? Just curious
I just read an article on this... it really depends if the ear infection is viral or bacterial at the source. Antibiotics d.int help a viral infection like any other virus, but does help a bacterial. The majority of ear infections in children are bacterial- even so prior to antibiotics 80% of children were able to weather ear infections on their own- but the other 20% had serious issues- to varrying degrees like deafness or menegitis (from infection traveling to the brain).
Old 02-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #20
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Minor ear infections can be treated with heat compresses and garlic. But I work for an audiologist...and I have seen kids come in to be fit with hearing aids...partially due to untreated recurrent ear infections. I've also seen kids with hearing loss (not bad enough to be aided but still sensorineural) due to infections.

The chances of a child losing their hearing are not high...but it's not something I'm willing to risk. Like the chances of getting in a car accident are not high...yet we still make sure our kids are properly secured in car seats.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote