Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Cottonbabies

Why is it their diapers never go on sale? Thirsties and Blueberry have a sale every 3 or so months but cottonbabies never does. I will wait 3 months for Thirsties to go 15% off but cottonbabies I have to wait 6+ months for a Flip sale and then another 8+ months for a 4.0 sale... Does anyone else notice this?!!

Advertisement

CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cottonbabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
Why is it their diapers never go on sale? Thirsties and Blueberry have a sale every 3 or so months but cottonbabies never does. I will wait 3 months for Thirsties to go 15% off but cottonbabies I have to wait 6+ months for a Flip sale and then another 8+ months for a 4.0 sale... Does anyone else notice this?!!
Different business model. But they had some great sales at Black Friday, currently have nice discounts on discontinued colors, and frequently have seconds sales (which all come with free shipping).

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
Different business model. But they had some great sales at Black Friday, currently have nice discounts on discontinued colors, and frequently have seconds sales (which all come with free shipping).
Their flip seconds are almost the same price as new and Thirties does not count their discontinued aplix as a sale. I dont think discounted colors is a 'sale', they are just clearancing out an old item (like at walmart). Not trying to fight, just annoyed that they never have sales. I think I am going to search out something else since I dont want my dd to be 12+ months before I can buy a flip for her.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
jerri
Registered Users

I wonder the same thing about Green Mountain Diapers. But I do LOVE that Cottonbabies has free shipping!

A 2/02, K 1/05, T 4/07, F 4/09, L 12/11 and...expecting in May 2014
jerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Their flip seconds are almost the same price as new and Thirties does not count their discontinued aplix as a sale. I dont think discounted colors is a 'sale', they are just clearancing out an old item (like at walmart). Not trying to fight, just annoyed that they never have sales. I think I am going to search out something else since I dont want my dd to be 12+ months before I can buy a flip for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerri View Post
I wonder the same thing about Green Mountain Diapers. But I do LOVE that Cottonbabies has free shipping!
I think both of these businesses try to have reasonable "every day" pricing instead of relying on discounting to drive sales. As I said, it's just a different business model. Cottonbabies seems to put each of their major product lines on sale once per year (separate from the sales I mentioned) and when they do it lasts for a while. They also run coupons reasonably often for a free 4.0 on purchases over $100, sometimes even at the same time that there are other sales going on. Cottonbabies products are also available at Buy Buy Baby (if you have one in your area) and you can use their coupons or Bed Bath and Beyond coupons to purchase at an attractive price. Sometimes Target has sales on them too (buy 2, get 10% off).

Karen @ GMD has stated often, in no uncertain terms, that she prefers to keep pricing real, consistent and affordable rather than inflating prices and having customers wait for "sales." She did put prefolds and workhorses on sale at 15% off in Nov-Dec and was clear that this was not going to be a cycle of inflation and discounting. Around the same time, GMD lowered their free shipping threshold as well. You should read Karen's extremely level-headed posts on this topic on GMD's facebook page sometime.

I think it's a question of psychology and business model -- would you rather buy a Flip cover when you need it for $15 or wait for a Capri size 2 to be marked down from $20 to $18 once per quarter? If you're truly such a price-driven consumer that $3 or $5 makes a big difference, then buying discontinued colors at a whopping $8.50 each should be a total home run -- if I were on a tight budget, I would be falling all over myself to thank Cottonbabies for making such a great price point available. If you care more about selection or timing, you have to determine how much value you place on having a specific color or buying at a specific time and purchase accordingly. Good thing FSOT is always open and always discounted!

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They also do the buy 5 get one free sales every now and then on BG products.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

They are half the price how is that almost the same? Seconds flips are $7.50 and they retail new first quality for $15... that's a huge mark down in the CD world and I feel like cb runs sales all the time but I count their used/seconds sales in with any seasonal sales... if you don't then yeah they only run sales occasionally... Though don't they do quarterly sales allowance for retailers? I've seen bg/flip sales around on stores constantly for 10-15% off.

Last edited by pottermomma; 02-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottermomma View Post
They are half the price how is that almost the same? Seconds flips are $7.50 and they retail new first quality for $15... that's a huge mark down in the CD world and I feel like cb runs sales all the time but I count their used/seconds sales in with any seasonal sales... if you don't then yeah they only run sales occasionally... Though don't they do quarterly sales allowance for retailers? I've seen bg/flip sales around on stores constantly for 10-15% off.
I thought they were $11, and since a cover is $14 at Nickies that is only $3 less, not half.

I was wondering if there was something for retailers because I thought Target had some on sale recently...
Old 02-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm baffled by this because CB puts things on sale more than any other retailer.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/sale.php

Right now there are tons of discontinued colors up. They do not price outrageously anyways so this large of a discount is a big deal.

Flip covers are $8.50ea in a four pack.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
I think both of these businesses try to have reasonable "every day" pricing instead of relying on discounting to drive sales. As I said, it's just a different business model. Cottonbabies seems to put each of their major product lines on sale once per year (separate from the sales I mentioned) and when they do it lasts for a while. They also run coupons reasonably often for a free 4.0 on purchases over $100, sometimes even at the same time that there are other sales going on. Cottonbabies products are also available at Buy Buy Baby (if you have one in your area) and you can use their coupons or Bed Bath and Beyond coupons to purchase at an attractive price. Sometimes Target has sales on them too (buy 2, get 10% off).

Karen @ GMD has stated often, in no uncertain terms, that she prefers to keep pricing real, consistent and affordable rather than inflating prices and having customers wait for "sales." She did put prefolds and workhorses on sale at 15% off in Nov-Dec and was clear that this was not going to be a cycle of inflation and discounting. Around the same time, GMD lowered their free shipping threshold as well. You should read Karen's extremely level-headed posts on this topic on GMD's facebook page sometime.

I think it's a question of psychology and business model -- would you rather buy a Flip cover when you need it for $15 or wait for a Capri size 2 to be marked down from $20 to $18 once per quarter? If you're truly such a price-driven consumer that $3 or $5 makes a big difference, then buying discontinued colors at a whopping $8.50 each should be a total home run -- if I were on a tight budget, I would be falling all over myself to thank Cottonbabies for making such a great price point available. If you care more about selection or timing, you have to determine how much value you place on having a specific color or buying at a specific time and purchase accordingly. Good thing FSOT is always open and always discounted!
Well said, so very well said.