Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cottonbabies

I always admire Karen's posts on the topic because I can relate. She describes that "gotta have it now" feeling that businesses inflict on us when they put things on sale. I know I get that way. I don't even NEED the thing I just want it because it is priced low. She always talks about how she would rather people buy when they need things and stay within their budget than push people to spend money they don't need to spend by having a sale. Her Facebook posts are always a pleasure to read.

But yeah I agree that Cotton Babies stuff goes on sale quite a bit. And Jenn is a stand up person as well. They run those buy 4 get 1 free sales a lot. My thing with them is I don't get why they don't ship to Canada (and I'm not even from Canada). It just seems strange to me and a lot miss out on their diapers because of it but they must have their reasons.

Advertisement

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I'm afraid I don't know much about cottonbabies. They don't have much if anything we use. However I seem to always be seeing people posting about sales so I always assumed they had a lot of sales.

As for GMD I wish they took paypal back when I was buying diapers. I would have bought from them then. However since my son is showing absolutely no desire to potty train we may yet buy their toddler bamboo prefolds despite no sales on them.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I always admire Karen's posts on the topic because I can relate. She describes that "gotta have it now" feeling that businesses inflict on us when they put things on sale. I know I get that way. I don't even NEED the thing I just want it because it is priced low. She always talks about how she would rather people buy when they need things and stay within their budget than push people to spend money they don't need to spend by having a sale. Her Facebook posts are always a pleasure to read.

But yeah I agree that Cotton Babies stuff goes on sale quite a bit. And Jenn is a stand up person as well. They run those buy 4 get 1 free sales a lot. My thing with them is I don't get why they don't ship to Canada (and I'm not even from Canada). It just seems strange to me and a lot miss out on their diapers because of it but they must have their reasons.
It's possible that they don't ship to Canada because of the price and logistics, and it's also possible that they have a separate Canadian distribution arm for Bumgenius products. Not sure though!

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
I'm baffled by this because CB puts things on sale more than any other retailer.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/sale.php

Right now there are tons of discontinued colors up. They do not price outrageously anyways so this large of a discount is a big deal.

Flip covers are $8.50ea in a four pack.
that's what I was thinking
Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
I thought they were $11, and since a cover is $14 at Nickies that is only $3 less, not half.

I was wondering if there was something for retailers because I thought Target had some on sale recently...
Last seconds sale I saw, they were somewhere around 7.50 each for seconds (but you had to buy a pack of 3). Nicki's has Flips full price for 14.95 which is the same as the full price at Cotton Babies. As others have said, you can get Flips (not seconds) for 8.50 right now. So 50% off for seconds & a little over 40% off for the discontinued colors. I'm not sure what there is to complain about that, especially since they always have free shipping, no matter your order total.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #16
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I feel like they always have some kind of sale going on! And they have seconds at least 4x a year. That's usually when I buy. I love Flips but not for $15.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #17
jerri
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
I think both of these businesses try to have reasonable "every day" pricing instead of relying on discounting to drive sales. As I said, it's just a different business model. Cottonbabies seems to put each of their major product lines on sale once per year (separate from the sales I mentioned) and when they do it lasts for a while. They also run coupons reasonably often for a free 4.0 on purchases over $100, sometimes even at the same time that there are other sales going on. Cottonbabies products are also available at Buy Buy Baby (if you have one in your area) and you can use their coupons or Bed Bath and Beyond coupons to purchase at an attractive price. Sometimes Target has sales on them too (buy 2, get 10% off).

Karen @ GMD has stated often, in no uncertain terms, that she prefers to keep pricing real, consistent and affordable rather than inflating prices and having customers wait for "sales." She did put prefolds and workhorses on sale at 15% off in Nov-Dec and was clear that this was not going to be a cycle of inflation and discounting. Around the same time, GMD lowered their free shipping threshold as well. You should read Karen's extremely level-headed posts on this topic on GMD's facebook page sometime.

I think it's a question of psychology and business model -- would you rather buy a Flip cover when you need it for $15 or wait for a Capri size 2 to be marked down from $20 to $18 once per quarter? If you're truly such a price-driven consumer that $3 or $5 makes a big difference, then buying discontinued colors at a whopping $8.50 each should be a total home run -- if I were on a tight budget, I would be falling all over myself to thank Cottonbabies for making such a great price point available. If you care more about selection or timing, you have to determine how much value you place on having a specific color or buying at a specific time and purchase accordingly. Good thing FSOT is always open and always discounted!
Thank you so much for this perspective! I didn't know some of these things, and hadn't thought of them this way. I always buy from only either of these two when I do need something anyway. Now, it is just a bit clearer.

A 2/02, K 1/05, T 4/07, F 4/09, L 12/11 and...expecting in May 2014
jerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #18
lovelyasparagus
Registered Users

Does Cotton Babies typically have the Buy 5 Get 1 sales at specific times each year, or is it more random? Is it only for 4.0's? If so, do they run a similar sale on Elementals?
lovelyasparagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #19
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

there is also the thirstiesoutet.com but unless you are buying bulk after shipping its not much of a discount.

price over colors anyday btw
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-15-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
I'm baffled by this because CB puts things on sale more than any other retailer.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/sale.php

Right now there are tons of discontinued colors up. They do not price outrageously anyways so this large of a discount is a big deal.

Flip covers are $8.50ea in a four pack.
I went to check when I read the op and found this too. I feel like some bum genius product is always on sale.