Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
bad form? bringing coughing child to other childs check up?

My 4 year old had a high temp all week. he's been better for the past 48hrs but he still is coughing and has a runny nose.

my 2 month old has her checkup today and both I and my husband want to go. we had planned to bring the family.

Is it inappropriate to bring my son especially since one parent could stay home with him?

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: bad form? bringing coughing child to other childs check up?

I wouldn't at my Ped just because they schedule well child visits and sick child visits separate and on separate sides of the office so the rooms don't get contaminated on the well child side.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would bring the sick kid only because 99% of the time I take all kids to their appointments. It is a Drs office where lots of sick kids seem to congregate.

ETA: apparently I misread that. If your DH is able to stay home with the sick kid then that's a better option. I don't like to go anywhere when I'm sick so I'm sure your kid would prefer to stay home. A cuddle with dad is better than having to go somewhere when you don't feel good.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 02-14-2014 at 10:30 AM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would if I had no choice. You have a choice though. I thi k you should leave the sick child home with one parent while the other parent takes baby.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would take them both. I think it is good for both parents to be at well child checks if possible. My DH tries to be at as many as possible. I try to schedule them when I know he could go.

All the kids go. Our office doesn't' have separate rooms for sick/well kids.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Some doctors also have separate waiting areas for sick visits and well visits. I would leave him home.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't feel bad for bringing him in terms of getting others sick; doctor's offices are full of sick kids and germs and it sounds like he's fine now, anyhow. Though, for me, I wouldn't bring him if he can just as easily stay home since the doctor's office isn't super fun and for the aforementioned reason: doctor's offices are full of germs so we don't like to hang out there if not necessary.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I would not. I think a parent staying home with a child who isn't feeling 100% is more important than having both psrrnts thrre to here "yep, still on his growth curve, see you in another month!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Seperate waiting areas, leave the cougher at home. Combined, bring her if you want.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our ped doesn't have separate waiting rooms, so physicals/well visits are all in the am and sick call is mostly afternoon (if it's an emergency that's not emergency room worthy, you literally go straight to an exam room). There's no reason to make this a family expedition. Keep the coughing kid home. How would you feel if you were a first time mom there with a 1-week old or something and there was an older kid coughing in the waiting room?