Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Biting >:(

My little one us constantly biting and scratching me. She gets a mean look on her face when I've taken an unsafe item from her crawls over to me and bites/scratches. Normally I tell her no firmly and set her aside but she throws herself down and cries it is so sad. Now here is my dilemma she is only 10 months. Am I being to hard on her?Should I just ignore her hurting me?

UPDATE:
So its been a few days and I have been telling her no and sitting her down and walking away from her. She cried and cried at first. But today I think I made progress! She bit me, I set her down and she cried like normal. I had just changed her diaper so I took it to the pail and when I came back by her she screeched at me! I was shocked! and laughing! So I just kept ignoring her and she saw her book and just stopped crying immediately. So then I went back to her and told her I didn't like her biting and she seemed regretful, she laid her head on me and made little sorry sounds. So I think I'm getting somewhere!

Advertisement

Last edited by juliefarnsworth87; 02-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Biting >:(

Could you redirect her by giving her something she can bite like a teething toy?
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

What if you yell "ouch!" and jump?
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
What if you yell "ouch!" and jump?
I started doing this and she though it was funny and would keep doing it.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Could you redirect her by giving her something she can bite like a teething toy?
No I haven't tried this. She cries so instantly that I didn't think to do anything other than try to calm her.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

No, don't ignore it but I would agree with the advice about re-directing and she is obviously trying to express herself and her feelings which is not bad. She just needs to learn that acting it out on someone else isn't acceptable. Pick her up, walk her across the room and set her down, firmly say NO BITE/HIT. and walk away. Continue doing this till she gets it. It could take a day, or a week or two if she's stubborn. Don't react to the biting because that gives her all the more reason to keep going if she gets a reaction.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
taylor's mom
Registered Users

It sounds like she's biting out of frustration. What about validating her emotion and helping her give it a name (not phrasing that well lol).
Like if she bites, put her down and tell her "no bite", then tell her "I know you want xyz and it makes you mad when you can't have it, but it will make booboos". or something of that nature so that she is starting to associate how she feels with a description. And maybe give her a suggestion of how she could express it in an acceptable way. Of course, it will probably take many times of this before that is the go to instead of biting.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
No, don't ignore it but I would agree with the advice about re-directing and she is obviously trying to express herself and her feelings which is not bad. She just needs to learn that acting it out on someone else isn't acceptable. Pick her up, walk her across the room and set her down, firmly say NO BITE/HIT. and walk away. Continue doing this till she gets it. It could take a day, or a week or two if she's stubborn. Don't react to the biting because that gives her all the more reason to keep going if she gets a reaction.
This is what I thought I was doing by setting her down and firmly saying no. Should I set her across the room?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
risata
Registered Users
seller

I would do exactly what you're doing, and then I would walk away. IMO the instant throwing herself on the floor and crying is just pitching a fit. If my kids throw a fit, fine, but I don't have to listen to it! When they are little I leave, and when they are bigger I tell them to go do it in their room.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by risata View Post
I would do exactly what you're doing, and then I would walk away. IMO the instant throwing herself on the floor and crying is just pitching a fit. If my kids throw a fit, fine, but I don't have to listen to it! When they are little I leave, and when they are bigger I tell them to go do it in their room.
This.

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote