Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
well lets be realistic, how much for a 2 yr old & nb

???????????
Sometimes i wish there were 2 of me so i could slap myself...
one part of me says one dz of flats n fitteds plus some easies for a diaper bag is ENOUGH... and the other cd junkie side of me says i need 2 dz fitteds 2 dz flats and at least 12 if not 2 dz easies for the bag...

Partially i want to be a semi minimalist here and part of me is tired of wasting thousands on diapers

So in your opinion does 12 flats, 12 fitteds & wool covers for a 2 year old seem like enough for washing every 2-3 days??
Im also thinking maybe bestbottoms (although it keeps changing!) For the diaper bag, 4 covers and 12 inserts is a good number.. but maybe too much.. the problem is ds poops r usually big n all over and wen we r gone we r gone all day..so i want alot/extra plus i ALWAYS over pack, always!
Plus i want to hang dry as much as possible so thats another factor but i do have a drier if i need.

Now with my nb dd due in june...
Same 12 flats and 12 i know isnt enough but do i really need 2 doz of ea.? I probably wont bother with anything but flats fitteds n wool for nb stage... should i get maybe a dz extra flats... or maybe just throw in prefolds for fun? I could always fold my flats like pfs... im sorry if im making u crazy over all my undecisive posts... im making myself crazy with all my undecisive thinking

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Sheagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: well lets be realistic, how much for a 2 yr old & nb

I don't know if I am going to answer your question but I am in the same boat. My little guy is turning 2 at the end of March and I am due to have ds3 in the middle of March.

I have 32 GMD nb WH for the newborn stage. I also have 12 ODC infant bamboo terry flats and 18 small GMD/DR flats for when we out grow the fitteds.

For my 2 year old I have 12 Sweet Iris bamboo terry flats and probably close to 2 dozen large GMD flats. I also have a handful of large prefitteds because his poop is gross and gets everywhere. The 2 year old and six year old also use this stash for their night solutions.

I am going a little crazy with covers at the moment. I am switching out most of my PUL and replacing it with fleece wraps. So most of our cover options will be fleece or wool.

I like to have enough so that on laundry day I am not feeling stressed out because I do not have any diapers left. Also, I wanted to leave my self a little wiggle room in case I get backed up on laundry.

I do not know if that helps but I thought I would share.
Sheagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ur 2yo, why not just count the diaps and add a couple and see how many you need? I like enough for 3 days but generally wash every 2 so it doesn't need to get out of the drier right away. for 2yo, 24 to 30 changes should be enough. start with 24 then add if it feels tight?

nb its tough, i think maybe only for a week or 2 do people need so many more changes that they claim and it also depends on the baby and how much they sleep. honestly I think 30 for 3 days as well.

since you might(?) want to go 3 days before washing add maybe 6 for the 2 yo and 6-12 for the baby.... do you have a big enough washer?

diaper bag probably depends on how much you go out, how much your LO poops (at least with the bb system) and if are will to say padfold flats in a pinch. I think 12 inserts (or changes) is probably good. If LO poops generally once a day 4-5 covers. If more often it might depend if you are willing to hand wash occasionally if the all happen out of the house and u want to wait 3 days to wash but again start small and add if needed.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-15-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I don't know the currency between predolds nd flat and my pockets but I definitely needed 25 for each at min in pockets to cover bums so what that translates to in prefolds and flats.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
andreusmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 1 month old and a 23 month old, the newborn didn't last in my wh but a week, and already fits red edge diapers. He is a heavy wetter, and he goes through at least 18 diapers a day. I try to change him very frequently, my 2 year old uses 9 or so diapers a day. I'd get atleast 2 dozen flats or prefolds for the newborn.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you want to go minimalist. What i would do is count the diapers your LO goes through in one day. If you want to wash every 2 days then you will 3 days worth of diapers. So if your LO goes through 6 diaper changes a day. 18 would be plenty. I would probably round to 20 for those once in awhile days where they go through a couple more

As for the newborn. I would not do less than 36 changes. My newborns easily went through 12 to 14 diapers a day.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
ashleyg103
Registered Users

For my 20 month old twins I have 4 dozen flats and for my newborn I have a dozen flats and a dozen prefolds. I would say 2 dozen for each kid and for the diaper bag have a dozen changes so when your gone for the day you have enough. Maybe even have and extra dozen flats as backup if you get behind on laundry. I like having a simple easy stash.
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im waiting on my single sweet iris flat to see if i love them lol i really hope i do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheagirl View Post
I don't know if I am going to answer your question but I am in the same boat. My little guy is turning 2 at the end of March and I am due to have ds3 in the middle of March.

I have 32 GMD nb WH for the newborn stage. I also have 12 ODC infant bamboo terry flats and 18 small GMD/DR flats for when we out grow the fitteds.

For my 2 year old I have 12 Sweet Iris bamboo terry flats and probably close to 2 dozen large GMD flats. I also have a handful of large prefitteds because his poop is gross and gets everywhere. The 2 year old and six year old also use this stash for their night solutions.

I am going a little crazy with covers at the moment. I am switching out most of my PUL and replacing it with fleece wraps. So most of our cover options will be fleece or wool.

I like to have enough so that on laundry day I am not feeling stressed out because I do not have any diapers left. Also, I wanted to leave my self a little wiggle room in case I get backed up on laundry.

I do not know if that helps but I thought I would share.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Before my nb was born, 24 changes was plenty to get me through 2 days for my 19mo. I could wash every third but things were getting tight if I didn't have laundry done by afternoon.

Now with a nb I have 24 changes and wash everyday. I would need 36 to be comfortable every other day washing, which is what I had with my first.

With two in cloth though, my diaper pail is full and wash load too big long before I run out of diapers so every day washing is necessary.

For your diaper bag, a dozen changes for a 2yo is way too many imo. Maybe a half dozen. Definitely a dozen for a nb if you really are gone all day.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think im guna need 2 dz flats n one dz fitteds as semi back up not really i will use them regularly but i am getting irritated at hw long my sandys r taking to hang dry n i just stripped them n i cant believe how much water i went through especially us being in a drought!

I might just go with a pocket or aio more than likely pocket for drying time, for diaper bag use..
Back to the drawing board i guess. To.find a pocket...i keep coming back to bg because they really do
fit both age groups well.... easy to come by tho generally not the cheapest option. But i do prefer fleece... dang it! Lol

I think ill do 2 ea for dd coming in june.. ill have to use the fitteds n wool for outings till shes bigger but ill probably generally reach for flats. I do have a big washer but dont love having to fuss with wash routine i dont think ill have a problem with my xs sandys they r a lot thinner than larges