Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: well lets be realistic, how much for a 2 yr old & nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Before my nb was born, 24 changes was plenty to get me through 2 days for my 19mo. I could wash every third but things were getting tight if I didn't have laundry done by afternoon.

Now with a nb I have 24 changes and wash everyday. I would need 36 to be comfortable every other day washing, which is what I had with my first.

With two in cloth though, my diaper pail is full and wash load too big long before I run out of diapers so every day washing is necessary.

For your diaper bag, a dozen changes for a 2yo is way too many imo. Maybe a half dozen. Definitely a dozen for a nb if you really are gone all day.
I didnt really think about that usually by thr time i stretch ds diapers to 3 days his dry pail is gull and its borderline too much for the load

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Mrs. Logan
Registered Users

I have a 23 month and a 2 month old. I have way more diapers than needed, but I probably only need:

10 a day for infant
6 a day for toddler

16 per day x 3 days=48 diapers

I clearly have too many!
Mrs. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy Momma View Post

I didnt really think about that usually by thr time i stretch ds diapers to 3 days his dry pail is gull and its borderline too much for the load
Yep, too full and they won't get as clean as they could. On the plus side I was doing a rinse-wash-wash-rinse routine at every 3 days and I reduced back to one wash now that I'm washing everyday because the toxic toddler diapers aren't sitting and there are fewer of them in the pail.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
mamacita1222
Registered Users

When this baby arrives DS will be turning 2 just days later. I figured I will be washing every day. This is what I estimate will end up in the diaper pail after 24 hours:

12 infant prefolds
4 NB pul covers
6 premium prefolds
3 OS/large pul covers
1-2 hemp doublers
24 wipes

+6 more prefolds used as burp rags

I can't imagine that I could put more than that in the washer. If I wash every day but line dry most days, then twice that will be plenty. I have 36 infant and 24 premium prefolds. I also have 24 flats and 24 receiving blankets as back up. I could go two or three days if I handwash covers, but I'll have to run multiple loads to catch up on all the diapers.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
momma2Mimi07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Id want MINIMUM 2 dozen for a newborn. They can easily go through 12-14 in one day. For your toddler I'd have 18 minimum.
Expecting Sweet Baby#3 in Early May
momma2Mimi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
Bluesky's angel
Registered Users

My Mood:

For the diaper bag I would bring flats and OS cover so that both babies can use it, I would find it easier that way. You would need only one cover for your son and maybe 3 for the baby especially if she is BF.

I don't know how you do with fitted and air drying. They take forever to dry in my dryer!

When I had my two youngest both in diaper, I had 30 elementals and washed every day. I had enough for one day and a half.

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.

ISO: Large unbleached muslin flats !!

Last edited by Bluesky's angel; 02-15-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Bluesky's angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
Sheagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I think im guna need 2 dz flats n one dz fitteds as semi back up not really i will use them regularly but i am getting irritated at hw long my sandys r taking to hang dry n i just stripped them n i cant believe how much water i went through especially us being in a drought!

I might just go with a pocket or aio more than likely pocket for drying time, for diaper bag use..
Back to the drawing board i guess. To.find a pocket...i keep coming back to bg because they really do
fit both age groups well.... easy to come by tho generally not the cheapest option. But i do prefer fleece... dang it! Lol

I think ill do 2 ea for dd coming in june.. ill have to use the fitteds n wool for outings till shes bigger but ill probably generally reach for flats. I do have a big washer but dont love having to fuss with wash routine i dont think ill have a problem with my xs sandys they r a lot thinner than larges
Washing and drying time is really important to me too. How about flats pad folded in covers for your quick diaper bag solution. That way you are only using flats for everything,
Sheagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheagirl View Post
Washing and drying time is really important to me too. How about flats pad folded in covers for your quick diaper bag solution. That way you are only using flats for everything,
Thats what im doing now with ds... its just kinda too messy for his crazy uncontrollable poops.. n i HATE spraying the 'poclket' edges on the pul covers where they kinda hold the flat in place, kwim??
Which is partly why im leaning towards fb because their pockey part of the diaper is flat n everything is flat sorta... i will definitely only be stuffing them with flats ive never liked or had luck with mf inserts.. i tried to force myself to like them but it didnt work lol
Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thats what im doing now with ds... its just kinda too messy for his crazy uncontrollable poops.. n i HATE spraying the 'poclket' edges on the pul covers where they kinda hold the flat in place, kwim??
Which is partly why im leaning towards fb because their pockey part of the diaper is flat n everything is flat sorta... i will definitely only be stuffing them with flats ive never liked or had luck with mf inserts.. i tried to force myself to like them but it didnt work lol
when you say "pocket edges" do you mean gussets? Not all covers have gussets. Flip and bummis Super Whisper Wraps both don't alot of others dont either. They would end in a straight elastic just like a pocket does.

gusset: http://awesomeclothdiapers.blogspot....e-gussets.html
no gusset: http://frugalandsimple.com/2010/10/2...diaper-system/
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-16-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #20
mamacita1222
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s
when you say "pocket edges" do you mean gussets? Not all covers have gussets. Flip and bummis Super Whisper Wraps both don't alot of others dont either. They would end in a straight elastic just like a pocket does. gusset: http://awesomeclothdiapers.blogspot.com/2012/02/whats-deal-with-double-gussets.html no gusset: http://frugalandsimple.com/2010/10/29/flip-diaper-system/
I think she means the flaps that "hold" the padfolded flat/insert in place.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote