Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How sick does Thrush make you??

DS started acting "sick" Thursday- he was clingy, and very whiny. At Lunch on Thursday he threw up- since then he has refused to eat or drink. He also started running a temp around 102. He has been very lethargic sleeping most of the day, has a hard time staying awake. He also has asthma, and his cough has gotten really bad since this time. We took his to our pediatrician Friday morning, he tested for flu, and did chest x-ray's for pneumonia based on the symptoms I reported, and how sick he appeared in the office- both were negative. They sent us home with an antibiotic.

When I went to give him the antibiotic I noticed he had a small white spot on his tongue. I called our doctor back and told him this, and he told me he thought it was probably thrush, and prescribed medicine for that. Today he is still fevering, lethargic, won't eat or drink (he did take a bottle this morning, but then threw up right after); looked in his mouth again and the white spots are all over his gum line, and have multiplied on his tongue. Called the Doctor back again- and he was still convinced this is Thrush. Does thrush make you this sick, w/ fever, vomiting, lethargy, etc....
DS has had it once before when he was like 3 months old, but he didn't seem sick just had spots in his mouth??? Just wondering, if anyone who has had experience with Thrush can tell me if this is a typical reaction, or if I should be seeking a different opinion from a doctor.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How sick does Thrush make you??

I've never heard of thrush causing those symptoms. In my non-doctor or nurse opinion, he either has something PLUS thrush OR it is something completely different.

Was he tested for strep? Many people don't realize that strep can cause vomiting, especially in young children. A high fever and vomiting can often be the only symptoms in young kids. The other thing is strep is rare in kids under 2, but it can and does happen. Ask me how I know.

Our family had recurrent strep for over a year before getting it out of our house.

I would look into that if he wasn't tested for it. Is he still on the antibiotic? I would insist on an appointment if he isn't getting better by Monday. And, I would ask for a different doctor in the practice. (I had to change to a different doctor in the practice to get someone to treat us properly for the strep. I'm glad I did. The other one was suggesting we look into getting all 5 of my kids tonsils out...and possibly mine too! )

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

If he hasn't had anything to eat or drink since Thursday, he needs fluids. I would take him to the ER unless an urgent care can do IV's.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
MadAgain
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd say strep and not thrush...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum (and autocorrect hates me)
MadAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
If he hasn't had anything to eat or drink since Thursday, he needs fluids. I would take him to the ER unless an urgent care can do IV's.
he has taken a few sips here and there- maybe 2-3 oz total since Thursday afternoon (except for the bottle he took this morning and threw up). I asked the doctor about it when we were in, and he said he was still drooling a lot, so he wasn't dehydrated, but he has only had 2 wet diapers since Thursday.

At any rate- he just in the last 20 minutes started acting like he was feeling a little better, so I tried fluids and food again, and he took a few ounces of pedialite and a little bit of oatmeal, just hoping he will keep it down now.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
It sounds like he has thrush as a secondary infection from taking antibiotics and most of his symptoms (minus the white spots in his cheeks and gum line) are coming from the primary infection (virus or bacterial). This is very common. Also I think vomiting with respiratory illnesses is common in young kids. I hope he feels better soon! Sounds miserable.

Last edited by justineybean; 02-15-2014 at 06:09 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
It sounds like he has thrush as a secondary infection from taking antibiotics and most of his symptoms (minus the white spots in his cheeks and gum line) are coming from the primary infection (virus or bacterial). This is very common. Also I think vomiting with respiratory illnesses is common in young kids. I hope he feels better soon! Sounds miserable.
The white spots started prior to starting antibiotic... but he is on pulmicort regularly and I read that Inhaled steroids can increase your risk for thrush. now I am super freaked out, b/c I consulted doctor google and found out all sorts of crazy things.... hopefully he is sick w/ something else and the thrush is secondary, b/c if the Thrush is causing his symptoms (which it can)- it means the thrush has spread down his esophagus and possibly other parts of his body- and that is serious when it spreads beyond the mouth area.

Anyways he does seem to be getting better- somewhat; still not eating really, but has taken 2 full bottles of milk today w/o throwing up.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post

The white spots started prior to starting antibiotic... but he is on pulmicort regularly and I read that Inhaled steroids can increase your risk for thrush. now I am super freaked out, b/c I consulted doctor google and found out all sorts of crazy things.... hopefully he is sick w/ something else and the thrush is secondary, b/c if the Thrush is causing his symptoms (which it can)- it means the thrush has spread down his esophagus and possibly other parts of his body- and that is serious when it spreads beyond the mouth area.

Anyways he does seem to be getting better- somewhat; still not eating really, but has taken 2 full bottles of milk today w/o throwing up.
And now we are at the hospital w/ DS getting an iv- made a turn for the wrose this morning and started refusing fluids again
Old 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley
And now we are at the hospital w/ DS getting an iv- made a turn for the wrose this morning and started refusing fluids again
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear that I hope he improves soon! I didn't realize the spots started before the antibiotics. I have heard that thrush can be caused by inhaled steroids also... What do they think is going on??
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
miriamleigh
Registered Users

My DD had white spots with strep and when she had hand foot and mouth. She was vomiting and had a high fever as well. Do you have any updates OP? I hope your little guy is ok
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote