Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
harvest
Registered Users

diaper liners and other wonderings

Hi, I am very new to cloth diapering.
I have a Flip and an Econobum and have been using those with trifold prefolds (like the flip way better). I am gearing up to buy flats soon to try as well.

At this point we use disposables at night because it soaks up more and I am worried the wet feel will wake our daughter up. I have a wool soaker for night and want to use it, but think that 1. maybe I should put a stay dry kinda liner between the skin and the cotton prefold or flat and 2. I should probably use something with a snappi, not a trifold? Any thoughts?

For liners, I am interested in natural materials...the silk ones look great but someone said those aren't for every night, why not? Anyone have experience with wool liners? or other natural material that makes it so it is dry-ish against baby's skin?

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated!
Oh, also am thinking about buying Nikky diaper cover, maybe one cotton one poly and possibly one wool?

Thanks

Advertisement

harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

Re: diaper liners and other wonderings

Hi there Harvest! Whether or not the wet feel will wake up your little one just depends on your kiddo. We use stay-dry liners on my DD b/c her sensitive skin needs it, not b/c the wetness bothers her. She is 18 mo. and has always been perfectly fine with the wet feeling w/o a liner, even though the vast majority of her diapers have stay-dry liners and she's used to a drier feel.

I was wanting to use more natural stay-dry materials, too, but it didn't work out very well for us. I got a half dozen Cotton Babies raw silk liners and they did this weird accordion fold thing and had to be ironed flat to be usable. I contacted the company about it and they sent me six more, which promptly did the same thing. I wouldn't bet that is a common issue, though, so don't let that stop you--it might work great for you. And the minimal stay-dry effect of the silk wasn't sufficient to keep my DD from rashing. I haven't tried wool liners simply b/c I'm not up for the hand washing involved. It might not be so bad if you are only talking about using it in her nighttime dipes though.

If your wool soaker is pull-on, you'd need to snappi. I would tend to vote for snappi at night in general in case baby rolls their hips a bit off kilter at night and the pee tried to run down sideways. Then again I'm pro-snappi all the time--we tend to get leaks when we trifold/padfold.

How smart of you that you've discovered Nikkys already as a new cd mom! Nice work! I think they are the best kept secret in cd covers. Your choices sound great. If you are looking for something breathable just be sure to go with the single layer poly or cotton, not the two layer heavy duty kinds.

It seems like most moms tend to like the breathable poly better than the breathable cotton as they have a bit of an easier time maintaining the water proofing and the poly dries faster between wears. But then you'll also hear from moms that feel differently.

We use our Nikky wool covers more than all our other wool because they can be washed in the washer and even dried in the dryer, so its always ready to go when the rest of my wool sits in a pile in the corner waiting to be hand washed. I haven't lanolized my nikky wool in months, and it was still working gorgeously (probably b/c the wool is so thoroughly felted).

Visit SweetIrisDesigns on Etsy or Hyena Cart for deliciously natural skin-care products or to build up your breathable, beat-the-rash stash of Polartec fleece, Nikky and Niji breathable+waterproof covers, and stretchy Snug Bug bamboo viscose flats. Like us on Facebook to help me decide on new products and get first dibs on seconds.

Last edited by Reel Life; 02-15-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are using a wool cover that is breathable and you want to try and stick with natural I would go for it. Having more absorbency that she needs in another way she will feel drier. She will only feel really wet if max absorbency is about reached.

Honestly if you are worried about her feeling wet, snappi on a prefold will just potentially make her feel wet in more places! If the entire flat is soaked then she will feel it on her sides and anywhere else it touches... but if you need side absorbency then well you don't have a choice
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
harvest
Registered Users

Hi Reel Life,
Thank you. That is really helpful to hear your experience and ideas. Glad to hear about Nikky from you too. I can't wait to get one actually. The only thing that doesn't seem ideal is I don't think they have a little fold in the front and back like Flip, which in the few days we have been diapering seemed to have help no wetness go through to her clothes in the front if the trifold was soaked. I have done way too much research, I feel a bit addicted, I guess because there are so many options to figure out!
Good to know about the wool, and the double layer Nikky. I will keep to wool for night, unless there is a wool cover that can be washed in the washer. And maybe I'll get one poly and one cotton. That'll give me 4 covers for day which might be just fine for now. Plus we got a free Kawaii pocket diaper from Kelly's Closet, which I don't love, but is another diaper.
Also good to know your experience with the silk, I will keep that in mind. I think Jillian's Diapers has an option to buy only one, so maybe I'd do that. Maybe there is another kind of stay dry that is natural materials, not sure...
Thanks again! (my first post on this website, which seems like such a great resource!)
Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
harvest
Registered Users

Hi Pixi6s,
Good point about the snappi and wetness...not sure, guess I will just have to try it out one night. She also is waking up at this point a couple times in the night to nurse, so I am changing her diaper in the night, so maybe the wetness isn't as big of an issue. I wonder actually if that means I would change the wool soaker when I changer her diaper? hm...
Do you use snappi or trifold or both? And wool?
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
The only thing that doesn't seem ideal is I don't think they have a little fold in the front and back like Flip, which in the few days we have been diapering seemed to have help no wetness go through to her clothes in the front if the trifold was soaked.
You know, I've never really had an issue with that. I think it must be all in what you're used to. I had another mom ask me about that. The covers fit so nice and trim that they keep padfolded/trifolded prefolds in place very well. And I try to have absorbent enough diapers that the entire diaper doesn't get wet (which kind of skirts the whole issue with having more of baby's skin feeling wet if snappi'd vs. trifold/padfold). The other thing is that with Nikky's nice wide loop panel you can get a really trim fit around the waist (and thighs) so I guess that helps as well. I don't know if any of that helps you at all... Maybe another mom can chime in on whether they've experienced that being a problem.

As far as her wool soaker - you'd only change it if it felt damp. So if your diapers are absorbent enough that they aren't getting completely saturated it's not as likely to be a problem.

Visit SweetIrisDesigns on Etsy or Hyena Cart for deliciously natural skin-care products or to build up your breathable, beat-the-rash stash of Polartec fleece, Nikky and Niji breathable+waterproof covers, and stretchy Snug Bug bamboo viscose flats. Like us on Facebook to help me decide on new products and get first dibs on seconds.
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
Hi Pixi6s,
Good point about the snappi and wetness...not sure, guess I will just have to try it out one night. She also is waking up at this point a couple times in the night to nurse, so I am changing her diaper in the night, so maybe the wetness isn't as big of an issue. I wonder actually if that means I would change the wool soaker when I changer her diaper? hm...
Do you use snappi or trifold or both? And wool?
Thanks!
i dont use wool (i tried it wasnt my thing) but I wouldnt think you would need to change it. Not sure the age of your LO but I stop changing once resonably confident diap wont have poo in it. I stopped changing my 11 week old a few weeks ago. We do BG 4.0 pockets at night. right now flats and prefold during the day but working towards a "homemade" AI2 snap in system.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
Miye10
Registered Users
seller

@pixi6s: how have the BumGenius at night worked out? What kind of inserts do you use? We do BumGenius during the day and are trying to figure out the best diapers to use at night for our 15-month-old. I heard pockets often leak at night, so we've been looking into using fitteds with a wool cover, but I am also concerned about my son feeling the wetness. I like that the BumGenius have stay dry fabric. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miye10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've heard bum genius with a prefold, bamboo prefold, cbi insert...something of that sort instead of the microfiber works well as a nighttime option. No personal experience here just what I have heard.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
krissyc
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miye10
@pixi6s: how have the BumGenius at night worked out? What kind of inserts do you use? We do BumGenius during the day and are trying to figure out the best diapers to use at night for our 15-month-old. I heard pockets often leak at night, so we've been looking into using fitteds with a wool cover, but I am also concerned about my son feeling the wetness. I like that the BumGenius have stay dry fabric. Any thoughts would be most appreciated! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We've never had a problem with pockets leaking at night as long as they sufficiently stuffed - and I mean stuffed! Hemp is good because you can fit a lot more hemp into a pocket. My main issue with pockets at night is that they STINK in the morning!!! We've recently been using wool and several flats together for night, and it's been amazing - not more morning stink, and he stays very dry.

By the by, I've always worried about LO waking up because he felt the wetness against his skin, so at first we used stay dry liners (just cheap Bummis fleece ones), but I forgot one night, and he didn't notice, and we haven't used them since - and it's been really nice to have one less thing to worry about!