Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
uscgwifey11
Registered Users

Flying and cloth diapers?

Tomorrow I'm flying home to visit family so they can meet the baby. I'm in a debate whether I'm going to cloth diaper on the plane or use sposies. Personally I really don't want to put him in sposies. But I'm wondering if I should just for the convenience. Who's flown with cloth? How did it go? How many diapers did you bring? Total flight time is about 3 and a half hours with an hour layover in Seattle which will end up being more like 10 minutes lol

Advertisement

uscgwifey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I flew with cloth a couple of years ago. Since we were staying with family, washing wasn't an issue. The actual travel wasn't a problem at all. For me, the deciding factor was cost. The airline we were on allowed two free checked bags per person. Since we didn't have that many bags, packing a small suitcase with diapers made sense. If we'd needed to pay $25 each way to bring it, I probably would have just left the cloth at home, bought a small pack of sposies before leaving home, and picked up more once reaching our destination.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I've flown with cloth. I didn't think it was any different from a regular day trip where you're out and about the whole day. I just brought enough diapers and a wet bag.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Oh and number of diapers depends on age of baby... I'd bring a couple extra in case you get delayed. If you bought the sposies already you could pack a few of those as back up as well.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you do go with disposables I'd suggest using a cover over them. For some reason flying always = poop for my babies!
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Flying and cloth diapers?

from a fellow Coast Guard wife I did a double take because my username for so many things is uscgwifey09 so for a minute I thought I wrote this thread and thought that was weird. Until I saw the 11, ha!

We've always used disposables on flights even if we packed cloth for the trip.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have. No issues. That is a pretty reasonable travel day. I have done a 14hr day and that was a bit tough. 3 kids 4 and under...Alone Maybe give some thought to getting a carry on little Pullman that fits the airline requirements. You could fit tons for baby in there.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

I've mostly travelled on planes with disposables. They cut down on the bulk of carry-ons and you don't have to change as frequently (you should but you don't HAVE to in case of turbulence, meals being served, or any other obstacle to the bathroom). We switch to cloth as soon as we arrive though. Also, we only flew a few times before DS was on solids and then we did take cloth. He had frequent blow outs in disposables (we didn't start cloth until 4 months old) and I didn't want to risk a blow on a plane or during travel in general. It is a pain to change on airline change tables. They are hard, small and awkward. Bring along an extra special change table toy just incase for distraction, our cell phone worked great lol Whichever you choose bring 1/3 to double what you would generally use. Delays are a PITA and you don't want to be stuck somewhere without a change.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have flown using gDiaper disposable inserts and covers (actual gdiaper ones and bummis). Longer flights too. It was easy just replace, trash, put new insert in.

Not sure how much harder cloth would be than disposable, just putting cloth in a bag vrs sposie in the trash. I'd worry about sposie containment at a minimum.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-16-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Done several intl flight with cloth. No big deal. Put the kid in an extra absorbent diaper (like night diaper) and only change on the plane if there's poop. If you're gate checking a stroller, put it in a bag for protection and toss your clean diapers in there (in wet bag). Easy!

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote