Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
Cayenneroots
Registered Users
seller

Stash: what you wish you would have bought new

I am still trying to finalize what I need for my Diaper Stash and have been struggling over what to splurge on and what to get on FSOT. Not that I have anything left to trade as my baby girl just turned 7 and I didn't get into cloth till the end of her potty training days. But please give me your thoughts and opinions on what stood the test of time used and what must haves that you bought new.

Thanks

Advertisement

Cayenneroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

Idk (such a not helpful aswer lol)
i think i learned to write a list of my wanted items/go on the bst n see for a couple of weeks if i find a good deal. If not, then buy new. Dd is no 20 months n i finally learned to not buy items im not io because they r a great bst deal. Stick to my list/know my price range n the condition of an item that i feel comfortable using on my kid.
babyleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stash: what you wish you would have bought new

I think diapers that your LO will be in the longest I would just buy new, so u get the warranty and most use from them. NB stuff I would buy used...I also prefer to buy prefolds,flats used because they are already prepped. I will pay close to retail(shipped) for used prefolds and flats because it saves me the hassle and time of prepping!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyleon View Post
i think i learned to write a list of my wanted items/go on the bst n see for a couple of weeks if i find a good deal. If not, then buy new. Dd is no 20 months n i finally learned to not buy items im not io because they r a great bst deal. Stick to my list/know my price range n the condition of an item that i feel comfortable using on my kid.
This is essentially what I do. I use sized items so they are used for a shorter period of time. If it was a one size item that would be used a long time I would buy new.

Mom to Joey (Feb 2010) and Nate (Mar 2013)
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Take into consideration how many kids you're planning on. I've already had to replace my DSQ prefolds once because they were pretty threadbare after my 3rd and I'd bought them new with my 1st.

Covers I generally buy new because they get used a lot and I don't want them to wear out fast. Although you're probably safe to buy newborn sizes used no matter how many kids you're planning because babies outgrow that size so fast.

I've bought a few things used this time around because I'm 36 and on my 5th. How many more babies do I need this stash to go through?

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are an aplix family. Anything aplix (cover/pocket/AIO) that is beyond the infant age (so that is actually going to fit for a year+) I get new or at least nearly new (like tried one and "didn't work for us"). I find aplix generally has a year lifespan so I want to reep all the benefit.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am pregnant with our 5th and final baby.
I have cloth diapers 3 of our 4 and I've had different stashes for each, for different reasons.

As I plan this stash, I am doing what pp said ~ most of the newborn stuff I am buying secondhand because they use it for such a short period of time. I will be purchasing all or most of our OS stuff new, because I know she will use it for a longer period of time.
J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I buy anything with PUL new. I have fat babies so relaxed elastic doesn't bother me much, I can replace snaps or Velcro easily if needed, wool that is taken care of lasts forever, etc. but there's really no fixing PUL.

I would consider buying used NB diapers but I've always found a better deal on them new so that's a no-brainer.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
mamacita1222
Registered Users

I would only buy something that can take a beating used. Flats. Prefolds. Hemp doublers. Of course you never know if they have been washed with bleach 3x a week for 2 years and may not be in great shape. I've only bought used PUL covers in person so I can inspect them myself. I prefer to buy new everything if I can swing it because I'm only pregnant with #2 and I want stuff to last as long as possible.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I only buy used if it's something different I want to try. And even then, only if it's in great condition at a significant discount from new. I prefer to buy new.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote