Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
BrambleberryFarm
Registered Users

Why is no one making nylon covers anymore?

I really dislike PUL, and have been doing wool covers for the past 4 years, but after my twins' recent bout of nasty diarrhea I decided we really needed a back-up option. So after researching non-PUL options I decided to go with Dappi nylon pants, and love them! My babes are 12 months now, and I like pull-ups at this age, but I really find wraps essential for newborns and I'd like to be able to recommend a nylon wrap to a couple of pregnant friends. But when I google nylon wraps, it seems like so many companies have recently switched from nylon to PUL for all of their wraps.

Is there something about nylon that has made it fall out of favor? Is it just that PUL is so widely available now in fun prints and stuff? I just don't like the idea of putting polyurethane on my lo's delicate bottom. And nylon is supposed to be more breathable, right? it's thinner for sure, which is nice. What am I missing here?

Advertisement

BrambleberryFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why is no one making nylon covers anymore?

Never mind, I didn't realize the manufacturer changed fabrics.

dd 10yo
dd rescued, as her daddy says, 1/31/14. Read her birth story http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post17225488

Last edited by mothergooseofthree; 02-17-2014 at 07:02 AM.
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
kirst
Registered Users
seller

I had two Bummis originals wraps when my son was a newborn and they were awesome. I am not sure why Bummis has switched over to just PUL, I assume its because they nylon was a bit more susceptible to Velcro snags in the wash. I always hand washed those covers anyhow as they dried in under two hours just at room temp. They were awesome. You could literally cover a newborn with just two covers if you had to.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
mimi100
Registered Users
seller

Another Dappi nylon cover fan here! The newborn size was too large for my newborns, but once they grew into them, they were the only cover we used.
mimi100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

We only use Dappis after trying every other brand. Love nylon-dries fast, is trim, breathable and nothing to irritate baby by way of snap impressions and elastics digging in.

I know Karen from GMD is a fan of the old style nylon covers and she says she's trying to bring them back. I think they're more popular than retailers realize. I would love to find a newborn nylon wrap, too!
I love my Jesus
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

Ah, sorry about my post further up. I didn't know they had switched them to PUL. That stinks since they were the only nylon wrap.

I love Dappis and have used them on my nbs. I just added a couple of stitches to tighten the legs since the nb size runs too big.

dd 10yo
dd rescued, as her daddy says, 1/31/14. Read her birth story http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post17225488
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

gdiapers make their pouches out f nylon.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

The bummis swimmi has mesh inside, then nylon, then a cotton outer. Is that similar to the original bummis nylon cover?
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
Ark2003
Registered Users

I think, but I'm not totally sure, cocalo perfect bum covers are nylon. They're kinda like gdiapers. I always remove the pouch thingy and just padfold a flat into them. They are my favorite covers. Sized. Touch tape. Not many designs, but cute.

Amanda (mom to 5 sweet girls and 1 tough baby boy)
Ark2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

How is the fit of the Dappi nylons under clothes? Let's say compared to a normal wrap style cover?

Visit SweetIrisDesigns on Etsy or Hyena Cart for deliciously natural skin-care products or to build up your breathable, beat-the-rash stash of Polartec fleece, Nikky and Niji breathable+waterproof covers, and stretchy Snug Bug bamboo viscose flats. Like us on Facebook to help me decide on new products and get first dibs on seconds.
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote