Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Phoebe22
Registered Users
seller

Tide Ultra or Original?

I keep seeing people mention Tide Original. Is this only available in a liquid? On their website I only see Tide Ultra in a powder for HE machines. I've done two loads with the Ultra powder and suddenly have ammonia! Used to line 1 the first time and line 2 the second time. I even used water plus AND added an extra rinse. The only reason I tried Tide was because people say it cleans better than Charlie's or Nellies which I had been using but getting very mild barnyard. This ammonia is waaaay worse!

Advertisement

Phoebe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
About 2-3 years ago, P&G quit making Tide Original powder, and reformulated it as Tide Ultra. Tide Original can now only be found as a liquid. Personally, I've never been as happy with the Tide Ultra powder as I was with the old Tide Original powder, and now have to use a little bit of bleach with every wash. Never had to do that with the old Original.

So if you see older threads talking about Tide Original powder, it's no longer something you can get. Caused quite the uproar among DS mamas at the time, but eventually we all had to get over it.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
jessicargrimes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've used the Tide ultra powder for yrs w no issues.

Cold wash w nothing
Hot was w tide powder ultra
Warm wash w nothing

Sometimes I'll add some bleach - 1 to 2 xs a month to the hot wash
jessicargrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: Tide Ultra or Original?

If you're washing a load of dirty diapers, I would consider that heavily soiled and would use enough detergent to clean heavily soiled clothes. I'd do that no matter what detergent I was using. Just rinse well after. I used Tide to the three line at least, with an extra rinse before the wash to get a lot of the pee out beforehand and an extra rinse after to get the detergent out.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
mamacita1222
Registered Users

The Tide Ultra is fine. I have used the actual Tide Original powder as well (someone didn't rotate their stock!) and the cleaning seems to be the same.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote