Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need relationship study guide ideas

I was looking for suggestions on good relationship study guides/ books people like. It is for my dd and her bf, they are living 700 miles apart right now but skype every night. I am looking more for basic things they really don't have problems that need to be solved. I was thinking about things to consider and discuss before deciding on marriage /compatibility. Unfortunately neither one has much time to read beyond their current workload ,dd is finishing her EMT cert. while taking college classes and he is in pilot training. So I was thinking short pages with workbook style questions would be good because they could read and discuss things nightly rather than getting through chapters. I thought about the five lobster languages but I think that would be better left for later since it seems more focused on communication in a marriage. They don't have to be Christian just whatever was helpful to you.

Advertisement

Last edited by booty hunter; 02-08-2015 at 01:48 PM.
booty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Five lobster languages...hm haven't heard of that one. LOL.

There's a couple other books that have some things to fill out together in them. Either the men are from Mars book or 7 principles of marriage has some good ones for sure.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Sugar&SpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need relationship study guide ideas

There are some good ones by William Harley. His Needs, Her Needs, Love Busters, He Wins, She Wins and some great workbooks as well.
Sugar&SpiceX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikhlas View Post
Five lobster languages...hm haven't heard of that one. LOL.

There's a couple other books that have some things to fill out together in them. Either the men are from Mars book or 7 principles of marriage has some good ones for sure.
I love the lobster languages! Why would they want to communicate witheach other when they could talk to talk to a lobster?
Thank you, I had forgotten about John Gray.

Last edited by booty hunter; 02-08-2015 at 03:04 PM.
booty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Actually, I think the Five Love Languages would be good for them. It isn't just about communicating in marriage, you know. It is how to speak to everyone and how you want to be spoken to. Going through it helped me understand and better relate to so many more people than just my husband. It helps me to be more understanding when my mom bombards my kids with stuff, for instance.

Another one I really liked was Love and Respect, but that one is specifically for marriage, so it might not be appropriate yet.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been planning to listen to "How To Date Your Soulmate" from Lighthouse media. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
noahs naturally
Registered Users
seller

My brother really liked Loveology - not sure if it's workbook-style, but here's the link to the audiobook: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...dp/1491501340. It could be convenient to listen to while commuting and then they could talk about what they thought of it while skyping. What a thoughtful mom you are for supporting them in their relationship this way!
noahs naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Actually, I think the Five Love Languages would be good for them. It isn't just about communicating in marriage, you know. It is how to speak to everyone and how you want to be spoken to. Going through it helped me understand and better relate to so many more people than just my husband. It helps me to be more understanding when my mom bombards my kids with stuff, for instance.

Another one I really liked was Love and Respect, but that one is specifically for marriage, so it might not be appropriate yet.
It has been years since I have read it so it sounds like I am not remembering it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I've been planning to listen to "How To Date Your Soulmate" from Lighthouse media. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Thank you ,I would love yo hear what you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs naturally View Post
My brother really liked Loveology - not sure if it's workbook-style, but here's the link to the audiobook: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...dp/1491501340. It could be convenient to listen to while commuting and then they could talk about what they thought of it while skyping. What a thoughtful mom you are for supporting them in their relationship this way!
Great, I will look this up and see if it would work for what they were looking for. I really wish someone would have given us some ideas of what to discuss when dh and I were first dating. It would have saved us so much grief in our first few years of marriage.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

It has been several years since I read 5 LL, too, and while the book may be mostly about communicating with your spouse, it really is applicable to all areas. I've used what I learned from it in dealing with other family members and friends. Even other people at church that aren't necessarily friends, but have an obvious love language that I can minister to them with, or helps me understand their actions better. For instance, I do not like being touched, but it helped me understand that sometimes people need to hug me more than I need to not be touched.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Get it for just about all pre-marriage couples!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/0849905249

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote