Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Anyone skip the GD test?

Does anyone decline the gestational diabetes test?

I'm so crazy angry right now (fine, hormones, pffttt), so ladies tell me why it's worth my time to go for a FOURTH time to attempt to have this stupid test done, or why I should feel okay telling my midwives I'm declining. The idiot lab at my hospital doesn't take appointments so you have to physically go and register anytime you need a test. If they are slow registration is no problem, but usually it's an hour wait just to register, then registration takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending on how incompetent the staff member is, and then you still have to wait for the next available lab spot, which might be another 1-2 hours. You can't register in advance either, like register and then come back in an hour or the next day or anything. You have to sit forever to register, then sit forever to get into the lab.

The GD test is an hour long, and so today after it took me 15 minutes to register the lab refused to let me do the test because it was now 45 minutes before they closed.

Hubby and I work. I have a 2 year old. I won't and can't spend half a day trying to do this stupid bleeping test. My first GD test was negative and I gained more weight then vs in this pregnancy. And I'm measuring smaller or right on so far. No history of big babies at all. Can I please just say nope, not going to waste my time?

ETA: the reason this was attempt number 3 is that you also have to have the physical order from your doc. The first time I forgot the order so after waiting 40 minutes to register they said they couldn't do it because my midwive's office was closed. The second time I had the order but after 2-3 hours of midwife appointment, registering, etc, it was nap time and the toddler was about to have meltdown.

Advertisement

Last edited by Palooka; 02-22-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone skip the GD test?

Yep. I skipped it with baby #3 and will skip again with this one.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you have a private lab locally you could go to? Most places that do general labs can do the GD test too. I never went to our hospital to do it, they are much like yours. I just go to an independent lab (lab corps maybe?) to have it done. They take appointments so I have never had to wait more than just the time required after having the drink.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemommaof1 View Post
Yep. I skipped it with baby #3 and will skip again with this one.
Did your midwife or doc give you a hard time? I tried to decline initially but they rallied the troops to convince me how very necessary/important it was, though I still don't see anything in my chart that would make me high risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Do you have a private lab locally you could go to? Most places that do general labs can do the GD test too. I never went to our hospital to do it, they are much like yours. I just go to an independent lab (lab corps maybe?) to have it done. They take appointments so I have never had to wait more than just the time required after having the drink.
This is genius. Thank you. I'm positive that I could find a lab near my work and just do it at lunchtime or something (assuming I get over my furor at being turned away).

Did you need to do anything special with referral or insurance?

Last edited by Palooka; 02-22-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

I did the alternative testing, pricking my finger and testing my blood sugar twice a day for two weeks. Its a great way to get over my fear of needles, not! I wish I took the test.
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't do them for other medical reasons. You can deny it.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I skipped it this time.
1) I've never had it
2) I haven't gained much weight
3) I generally eat healthy
4) The baby is measuring perfect

My mom is diabetic because of her weight, so I've used her monitor a few times and my numbers were always normal whether it was fasting, after meal, 2 hours after meal....ect

The medical assistant got a little snippy with me when I told her I was declining it, but once I told my midwife I didn't want it and started to state the reasons why, she was like...Chill out....it's fine. She didn't care AT ALL. She said if baby started to measure big or my pee tests starting spilling stuff, then we'd go down that route, but otherwise she was totally cool with me skipping it!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying4more View Post
I skipped it this time.
1) I've never had it
2) I haven't gained much weight
3) I generally eat healthy
4) The baby is measuring perfect

My mom is diabetic because of her weight, so I've used her monitor a few times and my numbers were always normal whether it was fasting, after meal, 2 hours after meal....ect

The medical assistant got a little snippy with me when I told her I was declining it, but once I told my midwife I didn't want it and started to state the reasons why, she was like...Chill out....it's fine. She didn't care AT ALL. She said if baby started to measure big or my pee tests starting spilling stuff, then we'd go down that route, but otherwise she was totally cool with me skipping it!
Awesome! I think this is what I'm going to say. This baby is measuring on or small, just like my last baby. I usually gain a fair amount of weight, but it's basically all belly fluid, and I should gain weight because my BMI is 19 when not pregnant. I wear a size XS in maternity, and I can still wear my size 0 pre-baby jeans unbuttoned. If baby starts to seem big, or if I'm spilling sugar or ketones in my urine, then fine I'll do the test. But right now it doesn't seem worth the headache.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
Did your midwife or doc give you a hard time? I tried to decline initially but they rallied the troops to convince me how very necessary/important it was, though I still don't see anything in my chart that would make me high risk.
No. She gave me the paperwork and I never followed thru with it (last pregnancy). I'm healthy. Eat right and work out 5 days a week. I also measure small. I just don't think it's a concern for me specifically.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I would do private lab testing. GD is not caused by unhealthy eating, leading a sedentary lifestyle, or gaining too much weight. It can cause excessive weight gain in some women, but not the majority of them. Many women who develop GD are otherwise healthy and fit.

The causes are hormonal and can put your child's well-being at a very serious risk.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-22-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote