Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I skipped it last time. I think my midwife might have done a fingerprick with a blood sugar monitor instead, but can't remember exactly.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Ola_
Registered Users

Re: Anyone skip the GD test?

I skipped it both times. My midwives were fine with it, after going over family history they said the only "risk factor" I have is that I'm over 30 years old. I do the glucose/protein pee stick at every visit and haven't had any issues yet, DD was pretty average sized as well.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #13
1busyb
Registered Users

I skipped it, but had to check my bold glucose regularly. I don't have any risk factors, and honestly probably would have been diagnosed with GD if I'd done the actual test. My BG was sometimes at the very top of acceptable, but because I was tracking it, I was able to adjust my diet and was able to keep my numbers acceptable. My doctor didn't give me a hard time about it at all because I'm allergic to corn, which is the source for the glucose in the drink.
1busyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #14
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I get a bunch of labs while pregnant every 8-12 weeks and they do a lab when they check my other levels that checks my blood sugars so there is some monitoring but I don't do the standard GD glucose test

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #15
saturn
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
This is genius. Thank you. I'm positive that I could find a lab near my work and just do it at lunchtime or something (assuming I get over my furor at being turned away).

Did you need to do anything special with referral or insurance?
The first and easiest thing to do is to check and see if your hospital has any satellite lab locations (for instance, the lab at my hospital is always super busy, but they have a location closer to my home in an office park, where I rarely have to wait more than 10 minutes to get labs drawn. Since it's run by the hospital, the insurance and everything is exactly the same.) You also might want to call ahead to confirm hours, make sure they can do the test, and ask what the usual wait time is.

If that doesn't work, you can check with your insurance to see what other lab facilities are covered under your plan. Most labs should be equipped to do a GT test. If you go this route, it may take longer for your midwife to receive the results. I'd probably check with the midwife first to see if they have any particular labs to suggest.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
SweetSummer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I declined. I am low risk for it and my baby was measuring small or on track. I also have nothing indicating it in my urine tests. my midwife had no problem with it.
SweetSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did do it even though it was presented to me as totally optional, I am a petite healthy mama, no risk factors. I did it because I was planning a HBAC and in the unlikely event I had to transfer and was trying to deliver vaginally in hospital I didn't want some grumpy doctor labeling me "suspected undiagnosed diabetic with too big baby" and using that to force me into a CS. I did it just to cover all my bases.
(This was in 2012, I had a successful HBAC
Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #18
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd decline too, if my time was wasted like that.

I guess I've been lucky. My doctor's office found that if you ate 30-40 jelly bellies in 5 minutes you get the same sugar effect as the drink. So much easier than the awful drink. They said they had too many mom's throwing up with the drink. So all mine have been with jelly beans and been scheduled and on-time.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #19
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did three days of glucometer readings instead of the standard glucose testing: fasting, then an hour after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was easy.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #20
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did an a1c instead