Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Child-led weaning, How old was your toddler?

We are nowhere close to weaning! However, recently, more and more people have begun to ask when I plan to wean my 1 year old and when I say whenever he decides, their eyes open like I have just flashed them or something. I don't even bother explaining myself most of the times. They are not home with me every day, and he is happy to nurse and fairly healthy. It's much easier now than six months ago, so I don't mind it as much, except for the upside down acrobatics, nipple pinching, nose twisting, hair pulling, scratching, and popping off. Oh yeah, nursing is awesome. Hey, at least he doesn't bite.

My question is how long were your babes if you actually went past a year and kept going until baby decided to wean?

In part, I am a little worried as (no joke) one of my uncles nursed until he was seven years old. My mother likes to remind me of this one all the time, although she is pro-breastfeeding & proud of me.

Advertisement

mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Child-led weaning, How old was your toddler?

I don't know how much help I will be to you. I weaned my older kids shortly before 4 years of age. It did take some encouragement from me though. Neither of them wanted to wean quite yet. My youngest is now 2 years 9 months and is still a frequent nurser. I would say he probably requests to nurse at least 6 times daily minimum on really busy days, more often I would say he requests to nurse at least a dozen times in a day if not more.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dd is 25 months and still going strong. She has gotten to the point where she is too busy during the day. She really only nurses at nap time, bedtime, and first thing in the morning. And of course anytime she gets really upset about something she asks to, but that's not too often.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
rochel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first weaned at 14 months but I was newly pregnant with the DD2; I was very sick and nursing was hard to keep up. DD2 weaned at around 2.5 years old. She was really only nursing before bedtime for a few months before she weaned.
rochel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Interesting. These are very different ages.

I hope we can reach 2 years at least, but I am wondering what it will be like nursing him after that age. Sometimes I really want my boobs back. I want to be able to wear whatever I want without asking, can I nurse in this?
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD will be 4 in a few weeks and I'm thinking she has either weaned or will very soon because she hasn't nursed in about a week. She was only nursing in the morning and bedtime for the past year and a half or so. My DS is 21 months old and still nursing.

And about the wanting to wear whatever you want--I wear whatever shirt I want with a tank top underneath (I use the jersey-ish tanks from Old Navy). That way I just have to pull up my regular shirt, pull down the tank and nursing bra, and nurse.

Last edited by jessca06; 03-03-2014 at 10:59 AM.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was tandem nursing my DD and DS ages 2.5 and 15 months....we wanted to TTC again and i just knew my body was not able to tandem and be PG so i weaned them....DS could care less but DD (2.5) had a really hard time....even now i regret a bit weaning her....she probably would BF till 4 or 5
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dd turned 3 last month and still nurses 3-4 times a day. This is the second pregnancy she's nursed through and I'm sure I'll be tandem nursing when baby comes in May. I night weaned her during my last pregnancy and cut her way back (to mornings, hopeful nap time that rarely works, and bed time) because she was nursing constantly and it hurts badly this pregnancy. Who knows when she'll eventually wean. Lol... just realized today that I've been nursing more than half my marriage now.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had intended to let DS go until at least 2, but at 13 months he was still up nursing every 2hrs through the night so I started to night wean him only, leaving other nursing sessions in tact. About then he decided nursing was for play and I would have to coax him to nurse, and even then he'd last all of 2 minutes. He really just stopped being interested and never looked back. I was a little sad, but I will admit not having to dress with access in mind was kinda nice . I got all my pretty bras and dresses back, lol!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
cbreeding
Registered Users

All three of mine right around 2yrs. Two a couple months over and one a couple months shy. I actively weaned mine though. Two because I got pregnant and it just became torture to me, and the 3rd I wanted to be done. I didn't just stop nursing one day though, by the time I fully weaned them, each just nursed once or twice a day.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote