Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #21
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMuffin
FWIW, I think that the "horror stories" about people breastfeeding to 7 or older are extremely rare; that's why they stand out. I think that most emotionally healthy kids will wean themselves well before age 7.
That would explain certain things about my uncle. LOL. But seriously, as much as I want to do child-led weaning, I was hoping to be done at around 2.5 years old. This being said, after a night of marathon nursing while enduring a 3 day migraine. Ugh.

Advertisement

mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #22
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

My DD was 2.5 when I gave her the push she needed to wean. She was down to two sessions a day (nap and bed) and seemed to be doing it out of obligation Her latch was just awful and she wasn't getting any milk anyway. I think she thought it was just what she was supposed to do before going to sleep. I told her no more and she didn't put up any sort of resistance. She asked about it the next day but wasn't upset. I was pregnant though and had no more milk, so that probably played a huge part.

ETA
Wanted to add for the OP that for me, nursing just got easier as she got older. I was able to lay down rules that she understood, like only nursing at home after 18ish months, then when she was 2 we only nursed in a certain chair or when laying down before bed, etc. That's not to say she didn't throw the occasional tantrum over nursing, but she was throwing tantrums about everything else too so it wasn't any different

Last edited by Teexie; 03-07-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #23
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I keep hoping for self weaning, but it hasn't happened. I weaned my oldest at 3. My second is 3.5, and I'm thinking about weaning her soon. My youngest is 15 months, and we'd like to have another. I'm not sure I'm up to tandem nursing through pregnancy.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
turndo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Around 3 (?). He night nursed / nursed to sleep forever. It was such a gradual process I can't remember the last time he nursed. I do remember after he weaned he would want to hold/touch my breasts at night for comfort (we co-slept).
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #25
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Child-led weaning, How old was your toddler?

18 months....guess i need to change my avatar now. He just decided he didn't want it anymore, he went three days without it and then tried to latch on, but I didn't want to flip flop, so I just distracted him.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #26
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ds1 and dd1 both weaned at 12-13 months. Once they became extremely mobile they were not interested anymore. Ds2 weaned at 19 months but I would say that was an equal mix led weaning. I was pregnant and was feeling uncomfortable and he was not enjoying it anymore. So I stopped offering and he stopped trying.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #27
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

My son was 3 years/2.5 months. I was cutting his hair one day and I'll never forget. He said "Mom, I'm not going to nurse anymore. I'm a big boy."
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #28
bluedaisy
Registered Users
seller

DD nursed for the last time on her 5th birthday! But it was with a lot of encouragement from me - if it was up to her, she would still be going strong at 5 and a half.

We are starting a social enterprise making and selling cloth diapers in Uganda: www.kijanionline.com
bluedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie
ETA Wanted to add for the OP that for me, nursing just got easier as she got older. I was able to lay down rules that she understood, like only nursing at home after 18ish months, then when she was 2 we only nursed in a certain chair or when laying down before bed, etc. That's not to say she didn't throw the occasional tantrum over nursing, but she was throwing tantrums about everything else too so it wasn't any different
This helps! I do keep wondering about these tantrums that start after 2 years old. My little guy is definitely revving up his tantrum-engine. I don't want to know what is in store for us...
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 AM   #30
ghettobuggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow you guys are great, I hope I can nurse for that long
ghettobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote